Topics include Dining Scene, Vietnam: For Foreign Visitors & more!
Many Tourists ask the same question regarding means of transport between Hanoi and Halong City.
- Travellers can get a bus from Hanoi Gia Lam bus station to Mien Tay bus station in Bai Chay (Halong city). It currently costs about USD3. However, no one in the bus can speaks English or foreign languages. Use your body language now. Also, bring with you Vietnam Dong (currency) as USD is not accepted.
- Train from Hanoi to Halong and return: Starting from Gia Lam Railway Station, Korea- invested train, USD20/single ticket. It arrives at Halong Train Station. The station is 4 km away from the Bai Chay Tourist Wharf.
- Daily morning driver by Hanoi local tour operator in the Old Quarter of Hanoi, shuttle bus costs from USD10 to USD20/person/one way
- If you arrive Noi Bai Airport and want to travel to Halong city, rent a car with a driver. Several companies offer this service at a little less than USD 100/one way for private car from Noi Bai- Halong. Note that this rate includes parking fee, tolls, petrol, driver.
- Car rent from Hanoi- Halong Bay (2 days 1 night) costs USD135-150/car/ 16 seat car.
- Train: By train, people take cargo train from Hanoi to Yenvien and then to QuangNinh. The terminal is about
50km away from the habor. Expect train delay, cancellation without notice. Available hard sleeper only,
the rate USD10/way.
- Open Bus: Departing from Hanoi: Gia Lam or Luong Yen Stations
Arrival in Halong Bay: Halong Bus Station.
Cost: 150,000VND (approx 7US$) per person/per way.
-By Shuttle Bus
This type of transfer is available for departing from Hanoi center only. The shuttle bus can be understood as “tourist bus”, leaving Hanoi around 08:00 and return at 12:00 from Halong Bay every day. If your hotel is located in Hanoi Old Quarter, you will be picked up from the hotel. Otherwise, you have to take a taxi to the meeting point. There are maximum 14 people on shuttle bus – the Ford Transit minivan.
Meeting point in Hanoi: In front of Opera House, N0 1 Trang Tien Street, Hanoi
Ending point in Halong Bay: Bai Chay habour
-Please note that unless you have a Vietnamese driver's licence it is illegal for you to drive a car or motorcycle in Vietnam. International Driver's Permits are not recognised.
- By seaplane:
If you dont mind the cost, this is the fastest and best way to transfer between Hanoi and Halong bay. The seaplane takes off from Noi Bai international airport and lands off at Tuan Chau Marina with only 45 minutes. You also have 15 minutes for sightseeing over Halong bay. Hai Au Aviation is the unique seaplane service in Vietnam until now.
Cost: from $275/way/person