“Aztec Chilli Hot Chocolate (mid-winter treat)!”
Review of Anvers Cafe

Anvers Cafe
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Latrobe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Our traditional European style coffee shop takes your taste buds back to the good old days. The speciality of the house is of course CHOCOLATE, hot chocolate in many flavours, chocolate desserts and ... more chocolate. Belgian breakfasts, which include our range of freshly made Belgian style Waffles and light Tasmanian fare luncheon are served together with a range of teas and espresso coffees for morning and afternoon breaks. Breakfast serves from 7am - 12 noon Lunch serves from 12 noon - 3pm Afternoon fare serves till 6pm.
Reviewed 30 July 2023 via mobile

Aztec Chilli & hot spice is a delightful winter warmer when I'm anywhere near Latrobe. Chilli heat not as dialled up today as it sometimes is, but delicious nonetheless. My personal preference is to enjoy it inside the cafe before the fire - so that you can warm your hands around a ceramic cup.

Date of visit: July 2023

Reviewed 17 June 2023

I have enjoyed my previous visits but it was disappointing to see the menu had been shortened up considerably. The staff seemed clueless, and the Winter Veg Curry was ordinary to say the least, full of potatoes and cauliflower served with rice and Naan bread. The dirt on the glass wear was also displeasing. As a local I won’t be hurrying back.

Date of visit: June 2023
Reviewed 30 March 2023

I've been here several times, and always make the trip when I'm in Tassie. The chocolate shop is fantastic - the best chocolates I've found in Australia for sure, and while their truffles are just meh, the chocolate bars compare favourably with actual Belgian chocolate!
The cafe is also amazing - the waffles are fluffy and delicious! I recommend the caramel-banana waffles. The hot cocoa is always worth it, especially on a cold day.
Do make a reservation if you're coming in the peak season!

Date of visit: December 2022
Reviewed 29 January 2023

Had a long and overly ambitious meal here. It was perfect! Not until after the food arrived did I realise I had over ordered – a savoury and a desert. Could’ve had just one of these . . . but I struggled on and managed to get them all down. Very piggy I know, but the food here is excellent. I especially enjoyed the waffles.
The free chocolate samples in the chocolate factory are a bonus on the way out too.
This place showcases some of the best things about Tassie – unusual food, being able to look into the factory, great setting, relaxing gardens, good coffee and helpful staff.
We were in Tassie for three weeks, and visited Anvers three times while there.
Great fun.
Thanks, Cate

Date of visit: November 2022
Reviewed 8 January 2023

The real star here is the 'chocolate factory' - their chocolate is belgian-style, but using a particular variety of cocoa bean that is even smoother than normal chocolate. Highly recommend taking home several bars of their dark chocolate, though their chocolate truffles are only 'good' rather than 'great'.
The cafe is excellent; I've eaten there several times and always had a fabulous meal (though I've only tried their waffles, can't speak to the sandwiches). As the waffles are also Belgian-style, and are very good, I would definitely recommend that. Their hot chocolate is also the best hot chocolate I've ever had - on 3 continents! If you're eating on a weekend, get a reservation, especially during the busy season!
If you're taking the ferry to Tassie, this is a great place to stop. But even if you're flying in, this place is worth making a detour! I only wish they delivered their chocolates outside of Australia - the 20-hour flight is a bit too much for this to be a 'regular spot' for me!

Date of visit: December 2022