“Fantastic chocolates; fabulous waffles”
Review of Anvers Cafe

Anvers Cafe
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Latrobe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Our traditional European style coffee shop takes your taste buds back to the good old days. The speciality of the house is of course CHOCOLATE, hot chocolate in many flavours, chocolate desserts and ... more chocolate. Belgian breakfasts, which include our range of freshly made Belgian style Waffles and light Tasmanian fare luncheon are served together with a range of teas and espresso coffees for morning and afternoon breaks. Breakfast serves from 7am - 12 noon Lunch serves from 12 noon - 3pm Afternoon fare serves till 6pm.
Reviewed 8 January 2023

The real star here is the 'chocolate factory' - their chocolate is belgian-style, but using a particular variety of cocoa bean that is even smoother than normal chocolate. Highly recommend taking home several bars of their dark chocolate, though their chocolate truffles are only 'good' rather than 'great'.
The cafe is excellent; I've eaten there several times and always had a fabulous meal (though I've only tried their waffles, can't speak to the sandwiches). As the waffles are also Belgian-style, and are very good, I would definitely recommend that. Their hot chocolate is also the best hot chocolate I've ever had - on 3 continents! If you're eating on a weekend, get a reservation, especially during the busy season!
If you're taking the ferry to Tassie, this is a great place to stop. But even if you're flying in, this place is worth making a detour! I only wish they delivered their chocolates outside of Australia - the 20-hour flight is a bit too much for this to be a 'regular spot' for me!

Date of visit: December 2022

Reviewed 1 May 2022

Like most cafes in Tasmania that cooking is archaic and barbaric. Its a pretty setting but that does not excuse the fact that animals are abused and slain in order to make their appealing meals. I follow the Vegan diet and will not support the mass slaughter and over extraction of animal products.

A restaurant that lacks the capability to cook and create dishes out side of the box of tradition in my opinion, in my opinion is tantamount to the stone age and a paid colosseum.

So I order the Vegetable thing, there was only one so called Vegetarian option, a toasty or something I could of made at home. I asked them to replace the cheese with garden chutney.

They offered to toast it for me, kind, not that it meant much, the dish came out dead cold and surprise surprise, IT HAD CHEESE in it! I could not be pucked making a scene so I didn't say anything.

This happens in pretty much any rhetoric restaurant/ cafe in Tasmania so I hope this review doesn't make them feel to left out.

Wont bother going back.

Date of visit: May 2022
Reviewed 23 April 2022

Stopped at Anvers for breakfast and a possible factory tour. I ordered the free range egg omelette, with bacon, cheese, capsicum and onion, served with toasted
pipe loaf, plus a cappuccino. My wife just wanted a long black. Excellent table service, waitresses perfectly groomed, my breakfast just delicious.

Date of visit: April 2022
Reviewed 15 March 2022

Stopped in for morning tea/brunch. Hot chocolates were delicious. We ordered a croissant which was tasty (and huge)! Lovely outlook. Service was good.

Date of visit: March 2022
Reviewed 28 December 2021

Choosing just a small lunch I opted for a toasted sandwich, turkey & cheese and asked for it to be toasted. After waiting over half an hour when arrived it was very small, there was hardly any Turkey in it. Mostly just bread, I asked for toasted which it wasn't so it went back to the kitchen, so another wait. The little salad had no dressing, the green leaves were old and yellow, the cherry tomato wasn't even ripe.

Date of visit: December 2021