“Honest review”
Review of Anvers Cafe

Anvers Cafe
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Latrobe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Our traditional European style coffee shop takes your taste buds back to the good old days. The speciality of the house is of course CHOCOLATE, hot chocolate in many flavours, chocolate desserts and ... more chocolate. Belgian breakfasts, which include our range of freshly made Belgian style Waffles and light Tasmanian fare luncheon are served together with a range of teas and espresso coffees for morning and afternoon breaks. Breakfast serves from 7am - 12 noon Lunch serves from 12 noon - 3pm Afternoon fare serves till 6pm.
Reviewed 1 May 2022

Like most cafes in Tasmania that cooking is archaic and barbaric. Its a pretty setting but that does not excuse the fact that animals are abused and slain in order to make their appealing meals. I follow the Vegan diet and will not support the mass slaughter and over extraction of animal products.

A restaurant that lacks the capability to cook and create dishes out side of the box of tradition in my opinion, in my opinion is tantamount to the stone age and a paid colosseum.

So I order the Vegetable thing, there was only one so called Vegetarian option, a toasty or something I could of made at home. I asked them to replace the cheese with garden chutney.

They offered to toast it for me, kind, not that it meant much, the dish came out dead cold and surprise surprise, IT HAD CHEESE in it! I could not be pucked making a scene so I didn't say anything.

This happens in pretty much any rhetoric restaurant/ cafe in Tasmania so I hope this review doesn't make them feel to left out.

Wont bother going back.

Date of visit: May 2022

Reviewed 23 April 2022

Stopped at Anvers for breakfast and a possible factory tour. I ordered the free range egg omelette, with bacon, cheese, capsicum and onion, served with toasted
pipe loaf, plus a cappuccino. My wife just wanted a long black. Excellent table service, waitresses perfectly groomed, my breakfast just delicious.

Date of visit: April 2022
Reviewed 15 March 2022

Stopped in for morning tea/brunch. Hot chocolates were delicious. We ordered a croissant which was tasty (and huge)! Lovely outlook. Service was good.

Date of visit: March 2022
Reviewed 28 December 2021

Choosing just a small lunch I opted for a toasted sandwich, turkey & cheese and asked for it to be toasted. After waiting over half an hour when arrived it was very small, there was hardly any Turkey in it. Mostly just bread, I asked for toasted which it wasn't so it went back to the kitchen, so another wait. The little salad had no dressing, the green leaves were old and yellow, the cherry tomato wasn't even ripe.

Date of visit: December 2021
Reviewed 27 December 2021

Called in on the public holiday for lunch. Honestly have never had such an unappetising, unappealing meal in my life. Waited ages, finally the first meals came out. We had ordered three steak sandwiches, with wedges and I have never seen such a gristly, grey unappetising piece of meat. Three anaemic looking potatoes pieces and a sauce that was supposed to be mushroom but was cold and gross. There was no care or finesse to these meals just slapped on a Turkish bread. They were small and I would of been embarassed to served them at home let alone in a restaurant. The meals came before the cutlery, had to hunt some down so we could eat. My daughters chicken curry was warm on the top but cold underneath. We waited the longest for a cheese plate and my 9 year olds waffles. Everyone else had finished their meals by the time the waffles and three measly pieces of cheese came out. These meals honestly looked like something you’d make out of the dregs of your pantry at the end of your shopping week to use up whatever’s left over before cleaning out the fridge.
So disappointing because we had been here many times before and talked the place up but this was an embarrassing and expensive experience. Definitely ruined our desire to go back to what was once a family favourite

Date of visit: December 2021
anversLatrobe, Owner at Anvers Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2021

Dear Sandi,
We apologize for your experience at the House of Anvers. Not wanting to make excuses but just explaining what happened on the day; Two Cafes in our area where closed overnight due to a Covid close contact, on top of that one of our chefs did not come in due to having a cough (as per our policy- he got tested and was cleared). As such, we did not cope with the influx of people at the busiest time of the year. I hope that, as you mentioned in your email that you work in hospitality, you might understand that not all days run as smoothly as planned. We have had a chef's meeting based on your and other customer's feedback and have instigated a menu adjustment. We will also reply to your email and hope that you and your family will give us another chance. Kind Regards, Igor