“Devon experience”
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Average
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

DoreenGen
Fife, United Kingdom
“Devon experience”
Reviewed 22 September 2015 for a stay in September 2015

My husband and I booked this cottage for a week, as we wanted to visit several places in Devon, and it looked to be quite central.
We used our satnav to find it, and that was quite an experience. The access is via a single track road, with high hedges either side, which scratched both sides of my car in places.
The owner did send us directions, which would have taken us a different, slightly less precarious route, but they were somewhat rambling, so we gave up on them.
We did however use he other route after that, but that was only slightly better.
The access is really the worst thing about the property, and obviously out of the owners control, but it did spoil the holiday for us.

The cottage otherwise was as advertised, with the exception of the settee, which was described as luxurious. It was very uncomfortable, and gave no support at all. You sink down into it, and I found it very difficult to get out of.

On the plus side, the cottage was very well equipped, and the bed was very comfortable. We were unlucky with the weather, as it rained virtually every day, so we did not avail ourselves of the walks round the lake, or any of the outside facilities.
It was however rather cold in the evenings. The underfloor heating was not switched on. There was a log burner, but we really did not want to get involved withthe mess that would entail.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: It was a beautiful restoration, and very tastefully furnished. The 6 foot bed was very comfortable
Liked least: The settee, and the location
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Bev F
Telford, United Kingdom
“Blissful, relaxing stay, quiet, peaceful setting”
Reviewed 14 July 2015 for a stay in July 2014
people found this review helpful

We stayed in July 2014. We arrived on the Saturday at 3pm. Although given instruction to locate the key it was slightly confusing but not a real issue as once found it was simple. On entering we were pleasantly surprised as the pics did indeed reflect the character of the property. Our dining table was laid out with complimentary cream tea scones and all basic requirements, milk, washing up facilities etc. There is wifi and a landline for all the cottages run on a honesty box basis, because there is no mobile signal. With today's iPhones though the wifi meant we were not cut off at all.
We found this place to be idyllic, the lake with the surrounding woodlands was so peaceful, we went daily to the lake to relax and fish, taking a picnic basket with us loaded with goodies and fizz was just bliss. The owners Sue and Ray could not have been more pleasant to us. All the cottages have been tastefully restored with exposed beams and wood burners designated patio areas with tables and chairs, BBQ area. Picnic table and a wooden gazebo on the lakeside. The bathroom was compact and bijou but no real problem, we are not the smallest of people but the bathroom did not cause a problem. There were some cobwebs around but there are very high ceilings and it is a rural location. For us we could not speak more highly of it, the location the property the peace and quiet. The best place to relax with no phones and nonsense. Our sat Nav brought us to Chulmleigh quite happily just a little last min detour which was our error not the directions in truth.
I will say it may not suit all because it is secluded and tranquil but for us it was a blissful relaxing stay that we loved and would definitely stay again.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: We liked the seclusion, peace and quiet with the fishing as an interest.
Liked least: Nothing to not like.
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Large groups People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Gillberte
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“Not at all what it seems”
Reviewed 11 May 2014 for a stay in May 2013
people found this review helpful

Me and my husband stayed here in May 2013 and I wrote a review at the time but the property was not listed and so it couldn't be published. I have also submitted this feedback to the lettings company.

The place has positives and negatives

The positives are that it is indeed a beautiful conversion that has been quite nicely done in pleasant surroundings. There is a lake and green space nearby that is nice to walk around.

The kitchen had most utensils and items that you need in a rental

At the time I wrote the original review there was a high charge for accessing the internet but I see this has been removed so this is a good thing. There is; however, no 3G phone connection whatsoever so this could be seen as good or bad depending on how peaceful you want to be but unless you drive a mile up the road you wont be able to call anyone.

The negatives are that the property was not very well lit and so when we arrived in the early evening it was hard to locate the key given the very basic directions were were told over the phone. I felt that the property should have had a light outside as there were some slate steps down to it and this could be dangerous.

The cleanliness was not at all good, it was very dusty with lots of cobwebs. The bathroom was dirty and the toilet was oddly placed right at the end of the bath in a tiny space next to the door, I am very small and I found it cramped

It looks from the photos as though you look out onto the green space; however, this property faces directly into the farmhouse conservatory / dining room about 2 metres away and so there is no privacy whatsoever.

I couldn't change the temperature on the thermostat as it had been fixed and this was on the last night when it was very cold indeed but too late in the evening when we returned to knock on the door of the owners house.

Lastly, the owner was unbelievably rude. I wondered whether to include this as obviously not everyone will experience it but think it is important. We were getting ready to leave and he started banging on the door saying we should have left at 9.00 (it was just before 11.00). Now this was obviously an oversight on our part, I wouldn't expect to have to check out of a family rental that early but nonetheless if that is the case that is fine and our mistake. What I did not expect was the owner shouting and screaming at us telling us he had been waiting for 2 hours to get into the property. He was really yelling at us and what I could not understand is why if that was the case he had not knocked on the door a good while earlier and politely asked us to hurry up, which I would have understood. This was the final straw for me as was not a great visit and I felt ripped off with the description of the place - as above. The nice touches were not there - the cleanliness and customer service element. If you own a business whether it be a hotel, b&b or rental property there is no way you should start banging on the door and shouting in people's faces before they have had a chance to speak. I was four months pregnant at the time and this really upset me and I would not recommend this place at all.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Nearby a nice lake
Liked least: The owner was very rude
Your age range 35-49
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.

Travellers are raving about these Chulmleigh hotels

Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing