“Mexican in Subi”

Cuisines: Mexican, South American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 5 January 2018 via mobile

Wow the meals. The amount and tge flavours, yum.
We all had different meals & drinks, from nachos, chicken wings, paella, vegetarian , dessert platter, dessert tequila plank platter, sangria, margaritas, pina colada.....
All was great.
It was a busy night, the three hours we were there went in a flash amongst good company and great food.

Reviewed 29 December 2017 via mobile

The service was even worse than my last review in October or November. My date says they liked the food and wanted to give them one more chance. The restaurant took our money for uber eats, cancelled the order ($90 worth of food), no call or communication.

Reviewed 17 December 2017 via mobile

Came here over the weekend for a family birthday. We tried booking online on the day (last minute plans) and also tried calling around 5pm after they opened to confirm. The call wasn't picked up so we left a message asking that they give us a call back to confirm the booking had gone through and if not to see if we could get a table as there were quite a few of us. Never received that phone call and ended up heading over with our fingers crossed we would have a table.

We showed up and upon asking about the booking was told it was not made (not surprising). We explained we had in fact called and left a message asking that someone return our call, the answer we got was "It's been so busy we haven't been able to pick up the phone". Interesting response considering a quick look around told a different story i.e. A half empty restaurant and servers wandering around seemingly calm. I personally was a bit taken aback by this. Firstly, it's pretty poor customer service. Secondly, the restaurant isn't located close to many other restaurants, meaning if you take a leap of faith and show up hoping for a table only to be turned away it's not like you can just try the restaurant next door or across the road like in Oxford or Beaufort street.

However, we were seated fairly quickly. Ordered drinks and a starter. We had a couple cocktails at our table, they ranged from extremely strong to what tasted like crushed ice and water laced with a couple drops of tequila. Although, when I've been here before the cocktails were good so I'm hoping it was just a bad night? Chilli con queso was our choice of starter and was delicious. Definitely recommend this, it is unfailingly good.

Ordered enchiladas for my meal and unfortunately was disappointed. It was just flavourless and soggy. I'm fairly convinced it was microwaved due to part of the sauce having a hard skin. Considering the price I would expect more. What I got was a bowl of soupy rice and tortillas. Although, some of our party said their food wasn't bad.

Overall, I would say this place is great for drinks and a couple items off the appetiser menu among friends. However I wouldn't recommend this place for a meal. It used to be really good but has unfortunately lost its touch, I'm hoping things change but until then I don't think we'll be returning.

1  Thank helenareviews
Reviewed 13 November 2017 via mobile

Hubby and I headed out to Santa Fe for dinner on Saturday night. I had never been before, but love Mexican so was looking forward to a great meal. We had been sitting for a while before anyone came over to see if we wanted a drink, so when someone came to our table we ordered our entree and drinks together. The entree of Mexican corn and chicken wings were ok, the con queso dip was like water. As we were eating our entrees the waitress came out with my main!! She just stood there until hubby asked her to take it back as we were still eating. Then as soon as we had finished our mains came out straight away! I had the Hongo Tostada (mushrooms) which was Awful. The mushrooms tasted of nothing, as if they had been boiled and hubby had a chimichanga which was also Awful. We ended up leaving most of these two meals, which my hubby Never does. Not a good Mexican restaurant, which is surprising considering it has been open for so long. Won't be going back.

1  Thank MoreHolidays
Reviewed 7 November 2017

While the restaurant is nicely decorated, what I don't appreciate is the bad service when messing up my order. Not only when using their uber service were they dismissive of stuffing up my order - they told me I should reorder my entire meal so I could get all of it. Absolute joke. What I think the correct course of action should have been was to refund me. The food is seriously overpriced both instore and when using uber eats.