All reviewssea viewbreakfast roomlarge carunderground parkingduplex roomcomfortable hotelsofa bedstaff on receptionnespresso machinesmall balconyenjoyed my staytea and coffee facilitieslovely townsmall carsdirect access to the beachthe hotel car parkhotel is great
Reviewed 10 September 2017

We stayed at this hotel at the end of August. The service and standard was brilliant.
Decent size room with a small balcony, big enough for two chairs and a little table. Nice to sit outside in the evenings and look out. We faced in land but fine.
We had good facilities, table and chair, then small lobby area with two small cupboard/ wardrobes and an area for storage. Fridge and tea and coffee facilities
Good sized combined bathroom i.e. toilet and shower. Lovey shower, powerful and consistent water flow. Towels plentiful and soft.
Lots of plug sockets for the electrical kit we have today namely iPhone and iPad.
Good fast free WIFI.
Fantastic location overlooking the beach one side and the town the other. within walking distance to the attractions of Granville town. A small supermarket is five minutes’ walk form the hotel, Carrefour Mini.
Plenty of free street parking. The hotel does have parking but as we have a large car we prefer to take our chances on the street as the bays in the hotel are so small. We did leave our bikes free of charge in the hotel car park though
We had drinks in the bar, again good service and reasonable choice and prices.
The hotel has his own lift down to the beach but get the key pass from reception to get back up, on the back of the key card is the key code to return through the little coded door once you have entered the first door from the promenade
Good, safe beach however strong tides as you would expect for this part of France. There is a fabulous sea pool created when the tide goes out. Safe walk in from the beach then lovely swim! There are sunbathing areas on the promenade for when the tide is right in, and no beach.
Lovely location for sight seeing. We visited the D Day beached and Mont St Michel from here

Room Tip: Request sea view
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2017 via mobile

This was our second visit and we had been impressed two years ago. We paid extra for a sea view which is lovely....however the hotel is adjoined to a large French (NHS) Rehab facility and our room was close to a patio where patients played music, sang and chatted till after midnight. Before 0500 we were woken by boilers/heating systems/pumps i.e. Something that makes lots of noise....
So, if booking - ask to be far away from Rehab unit. Breakfast at €17 is expensive and pretty average and place could do with an upgrade. Position is fantastic

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2017

We stayed here as a family on an overnight on the way to the ferry. The receptionist was polite and welcoming and let us check in early. Our room was nice, a duplex room, with the children staying in the nice double bed up top and us on the sofa bed downstairs.
We liked the access via the lift to the beach but that was about it. We had a partial view of the sea. There didn't seem to be any facilities except a restaurant and bar. The bar prices were exorbitant, most expensive I have seen in a long time in France and it was a shame because it could be such a great bar as it has such wonderful views but it was soulless and hugely over-priced and probably as a result of that there was noone there.
We didn't have breakfast as we didn't want to pay 16euros a head.
BEWARE though. On my return to the UK I noticed that the hotel had blocked over £250 from my bank account without warning. It wasn't after a phonecall to my bank and subsequently the hotel that I knew what they had done. I found that fairly dishonest because the hotel had made no mention of this at any point during our stay. It wasn't until two days after I came home that they 'returned' the money. They advised me it was normal policy but I use many hotels in Europe and I have never experienced this before.
In conclusion, a fairly expensive yet underwhelming hotel. Fine for an overnight but nothing special.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 September 2017

Really lovely hotel with attentive staff in a delightful setting. The room was spotless and the balcony most welcome, affording great sea views. Ample parking and a comfortable, well appointed bar and restaurant area

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
MARYLENE M, Directrice at Mercure Granville Le Grand Large Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2017

Dear sir,

We do thank you and appreciate your feeling after staying in our hotel.

We do hope to welcome you soon.

Best regards

Marylene Menard

Reviewed 21 August 2017 via mobile

We stayed for just one night in a fairly average, small, but comfortable room. On booking I had the impression I'd booked a room with a balcony with a view of the sea. Well, I suppose I had but the balcony was overlooked on both sides and the view of the sea was a bit of a stretch as we had to stand on tiptoe and look between the high rise buildings that are close to this side of the hotel.
On arrival, it's OK with SatNav, to the door, we asked for parking, I thought the write up said parking was available, it wasn't, the Underground was full and the nearest parking was close to 500m away and took about 45 mins and a few wrong turnings to find, fortunately we'd put our cases in the room first.

Being located above the beach means that wherever you go you have a steep climb on your return, so this is not a good hotel if you have any physical/walking disability.

Breakfast was generous and in pleasant surroundings.

Considering the few problems we had, my feeling is that this is an expensive and slightly underwhelming hotel, so I don't want to recommend it too highly. 4 stars because it's Good but the parking is a serious problem, which the receptionist on duty when we arrived didn't really seem too bothered to help with, just 'you can normally park on one of a few of the side streets in the surrounding area'. I could just as easily have given 3 stars as it's a bit overrated.
Not recommended if you have a car or difficulty with walking.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear sir,

I feel sorry , your sejourn in our hôtel didn't give you satisfaction, specially if i can unterstand , the problem was due parking. I will inform my collegue , so far they can advise the client concerning this problem, we can 't resolve , at the exeption of parking in the street.
We netheless thank you to let us know about your impression.

Best regards