Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in great prices from these sites
PricelineUSD 33
Expedia.comUSD 28
CheapTicketsUSD 28
TravelocityUSD 28
Orbitz.comUSD 28
Agoda.comUSD 33
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 9 June 2019

We had a great time at Casa Alquimia. Our hosts were fantastic, allowing us to check in a little earlier than we had planned, and they were very helpful when it came to organising tours/ excursions. There was a nice atmosphere, our bedroom was very clean and tidy, as was the bathroom. The breakfast in the morning was delicious, too! I would thoroughly recommend staying here.

Date of stay: May 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 January 2019

Tucked in a cozy area in Monteverde, the hostel feels authentic, homely and is ran by a local family that makes the whole experience ever so unique. A special thanks to Tarsicio, the owner, who helped us throughout our time in Monteverde, but also gave us invaluable advice for the rest of the trip. The breakfast every morning was nice and homemade and the price value was excellent. Highly, highly recommend!

Date of stay: January 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 November 2018

I stayed two nights at Casa Alquimia and loved it. Very quiet and peaceful, although it was low season and there was only one other guest. The owners are working on fixing up the building, and certain superficial aspects are still a bit...rustic. But the lodging was clean and comfortable. Tarsicio provided great recommendations for activities in the area and took care of booking everything, it was very convenient. The house is within walking distance of the tiny town of Monteverde, and a short, cheap cab ride from the bigger town of Santa Elena. The home-cooked breakfast was delicious as well.

Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 19 September 2018 via mobile

My stay at Casa Alquimia was such a blessing. This is such a very property like nowhere else I have stayed before. The building has a very natural feel with beautiful wood construction and all kinds of artistic accents. The community space is perfect with an open kitchen, dining room, and a living room with a piano and plenty of seating to socialize.

Tarsicio and ‘Nela were wonderful hosts and really made me feel like I was at home with family. I joined them for some meals, which were all excellent, and they shared some great tips and tricks about exploring the area.

I was able to venture to the quaint and artistic towns of both Santa Elena and Monteverde, which are small but very attractive and have a lot to offer in the way of shops, dining, and activities. I also hiked though some of the Cloud Forest reserves and to the top of Cerro de los Amigos on the Continental Divide - which is a great hike with spectacular views of the Pacific Ocean and Nicoya Peninsula.

This place is in such a great location away from the busier town centers but close enough to walk to so many attractions within 20 minutes or less. You don’t really need a car here, and if you’re coming from La Fortuna I’d recommend the jeep-boat-jeep (ask Tarsicio about getting a discount so you don’t pay the full $25). The weather is also cooler than most of the country being up in the mountains, which was very refreshing :)

If you love nature, exploring, kind people, art, and great food, I would definitely recommend staying at Casa Alquimia. Thank you so much for a wonderful stay and I hope to return one day soon!

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 18 August 2018

Tarsicio & Marianela are great hosts, extremely kind and helpful, and will make your stay very enjoyable. I live in Los Angeles and stayed here for 10 nights while I enjoyed an incredible time in Monteverde. I also liked the fact that I could practice my Spanish with Tartiscio and if I was feeling tired then he had no problem switching over to English! Very kind, Marianela even taught me how to make tortillas and Tartiscio had brought up his guitar for me to play after learning I played.

The room was comfortable with ensuite bathroom, a great view of the lush hills with white horses grazing, and the house has a kitchen which is awesome. Breakfast was provided every morning and I met some friendly guests who were there at various times throughout my stay.

I thoroughly recommend staying here. So central to the charming little communities which are within walking distance - and in both directions after leaving the house.

Enjoy your time here! Such great people!

Date of stay: August 2018