All reviews shuttle service breakfast was included armadillo rainbow clouds costa wildlife cabin
Reviewed 14 July 2017

I was travelling with a group of 31 high school students as a chaperone. My room mate was another teacher.
--Our room: box springs sat directly on the floor with dirty looking (maybe just stained?) sheets directly on top of the mattresses (no mattress cover) with thick, grungy blankets; curtains were filthy; very dark; toilet seat didn't fit the toilet; leaky sink; one container of blue liquid soap provided; bathroom door knob broken. When we got there I closed the bathroom door to use the bathroom and got locked in. When I turned the door knob to get out, it just went in circles. I finally realized that if I pulled out on the knob and turned it just right, I could get out. We did not close the bathroom door all the way during the rest of our stay because we did not want to get locked in. One night at 2 a.m. when my room mate got up to go to use the bathroom, she found a 3-4" long scorpion in our bathroom. The front desk did not answer the phone so we walked down the steep, dark incline to the office where we found two security guards. One told us the scorpions weren't poisonous and were really common, but he agreed to come up to our room to get it out. Several of our students found scorpions in their rooms as well. One of our guides had one in her bed. We were told they do bite and it stings.
--The incline: The rooms are in separate buildings with the main office where breakfast is served at the bottom. The buildings are set far apart on an extremely steep long hill. You have to carry your own luggage and it is slippery when wet.
--Reception/Lobby Area: Dead bugs all over; straightened up; playing cards available
--Breakfast: sticky tables, unappetizing food, good pineapple (but refilling the bowl took a while)
--Staff: friendly enough; tried to be helpful when we requested clean sheets
--Internet: did not work in our rooms

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lisa Y
Reviewed 2 June 2017

We were placed here by our travel group otherwise there is no way we would have chosen to stay here It rains a lot in Monteverde so that coupled with the drabness of the rooms makes it a very depressing place to be! The rooms are very old fashioned with bed linen which looks like it was last changed in about 1972 and furniture that Noah would have been proud of. There are no bedside lights, no hairdriers and the water could go from scolding to freezing in seconds. The shower was very difficult to get into with a lot of black mould around the edges of the bath.

Everything stays damp and a couple of pairs of pants I washed out whilst there didn't dry out in 3 days. The room had an unpleasant smell but when we mentioned it to the reception staff we were met with complete indifference. We bought an air freshener !

The much commented on breakfast lived up to expectations as we found mould on the bread on the first morning ( it was the usual CS fare) so abandoned it the next day for the bakery just down the road.

Lots of steep steps to get to the rooms so totally unsuitable for those with mobility issues or small children.

As our group decided, this place put the hell in Heliconia. For us 3 days in Monteverde was one too many and 3 nights in the Heliconia was 3 too many.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank petal088
Reviewed 23 May 2017 via mobile

Pros and cons
1. It is nicely secluded
2. Tree house style rooms were wonderful big Windows in the trees.
3. Actually stilt type construction about 10ft in the air.
4. Restaurant was very good, only moderately pricey. $40 dinner for two
5. Beautiful foliage all around
6. Secluded also means further away from town, $45 taxi ride round trip.
7. AC was ok but did not blast cold in daytime it kept room about 80
8. They offer adventures from there to volcanoes, trekking, atv, etc.
9. Store on site is extremely limited
10. Fridge in room did nice, we stopped at grocery on the way.
11. 3 hour ride from airport
12. Closest town is La Fortuna, really nice little town, friendly.
13. At the hotel most spoke some English but I tried to practice my Spanish mostly.
14. In La Fortuna about 50% spoke English.
15. This area is probably the most natural, real Costa Rica. From here we went to the beach area and it is very different, touristy
We did the zip lining tour near the volcanoe, pretty incredible. We enjoyed shipping in town and we relaxed at the hotel

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sparks63
Reviewed 2 May 2017 via mobile

Very worried about our booking after reading reviews but it's really not that bad. Yes, there are lots of steps and there's no air conditioning. But this is cloud forest and you don't need it. The staff are perfectly pleasant. The breakfasts are not good but not that bad either. Manage your expectations - this is a 3-star establishment. It needs updating but no doubt that will push up the cost.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dmrayfield
Reviewed 26 April 2017

Brown, brown, brown, everywhere, very depressing color all over the property! The breakfast was terrible and the staff the same. I had a big room with many windows and a huge bathroom, clean and tidy - the only positive thing I can say about my stay.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo