All reviews shuttle service breakfast was included armadillo rainbow clouds costa wildlife cabin
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Our group stayed here for two nights. I was a teacher traveling with a group of 24 teenagers for a school trip. It's a difficult location because the hotel is built up into the side of a hill. Trekking our suitcases up and down the hills were not easy. Even walking from the reception up to the rooms was enough to get you out of breath! On the way we passed a few hot tubs, none of which had water in them. It was a bit chilly being higher up in elevation compared to the rest of our travels through the country. Bring a sweater! The decor in the rooms was extremely outdated and the comforters on the bed just seemed musty. The bathrooms were a bit dark. The showers had giant tubs you had to climb into. My roommate slipped getting in. So be careful! The water in the shower was hit or miss. I didn't take a warm shower either day. Water was freezing cold! Very unpleasant. Wifi was available in the lobby only, so the students liked to hang out in the lobby and the staff was very tolerant and nice about a large group of them crowding around there for an hour or two. The food for dinner was average. The breakfast buffet was a little better with more of a selection. The waiters in the restaurant were very kind and attentive. One thing I must note is that on accident one day we left the safe of our room wide open with a rather large sum of money. We were gone all day and were horrified to get back and see that it was left open. However, every single dollar was still there - in the exact place we left it. A huge sigh of relief and thank you to the staff who so kindly left everything in its place for us. Very honest staff.

Room Tip: I'd recommend being close to the reception if you plan to dine there or want to use the wifi.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Poor customer service!
We initially booked for 2 persons, 2 queen beds with hotel.com and was confirmed, 2 other friends decided to join us last minute. upon check in we were surprised that they gave us 1 queen and 1 single bed (which was different from the confirmed booking of 2 queens) and they wanted to charge us 50 extra for the 2 extra persons. We were more that willing to pay the 50 (which we did) if they could atleast give us 2 queens or atleast give us a discount since we can hardly fit or atleast COMPROMISE since we are paying extra. The receptionist named JAVIER was really rude with no form of kindness. When we asked why they didnt provide the 2 queens as stated in the confirmation, javier said that the they dont follow the requested beds as stated in hotels.com, he said that they base it by the number of persons which is soo misleading. We asked javier if the manager was still around to help aswell and he gave us an attitude stating "do you see the room behind you open?", he was so rude to us. What is disapponting is his attitude and approach, he could have atleast have a professional approach towards customers but instead was arrogant, rude and mean. He was even talking in spanish to other customers concerning our situations which i found quite unprofessional. At the end of the day, we were both at fault as we failed to change the number of persons to 4 from 2, hotel heliconia failed to provide the 2 queens as confimed and the worst of all, by stating that they dont follow bookings based on "agencies" such as hotels.com... dosent the hotel rely on companies such as hotels.com to get customers because that comment was unacceptable to hear. i just hoped that hotel heliconia could have atleast compromised with the customer or atleast be friendly to the paying customer.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank pao_otr
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I stayed here for two nights with my 13 year old grandson. It doesn't look or feel like anything Costa Rican. We were at the top of a steep hill, giving us a nice view, but very inconvenient. The restaurant and wi-fi access were at the bottom of a large hill, and it wasn't a hike you'd want to take in the dark. They provide a shuttle, which was certainly a good thing! The rooms were huge with just the basic necessities to fill them up. The entire room was covered in wood. The bedding and drapes looked old and out of date. It seemed to be clean, and the breakfast buffet was fine. I would have preferred something with more Costa Rican atmosphere and newer furnishings.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 June 2014

After staying in European hotels, this one is spacious. Beds are large and comfortable as is bathroom. However, bathroom floor becomes quite slippery because shower is open, no shower curtain or enclosure. Didn't need AC, so didn't miss it. Ask for hair dryer at front desk. Shuttle provided if you don't want to hike the hill. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 June 2014

My husband and I came here last minute for a enduro motor ross ride and were booked in this hotel by the organizers. Has great curb appeal, but would probably not stay again. Little overpriced. I've lived in Costa Rica for 10 years, so I may always be looking for the best deal as things are grossly overpriced here in tourism, that said, I agree with one of the other travellers that the cabin we stayed in had a horrible odor. I'm not sure it was the wood, or the chemical they spray for termites and cockroaches, but with no widows to open or fans, if you have allergies or a very sensitive nose, this will definitely bother you. The worst was the Mosquitos. Not sure how they got in, maybe when we arrived, but had to cover my head all nite. Also the comforter had an odd smell, not sure how clean it was. I'm buying a net today as I have one more nite. Was excited they had jacuzzi tubs all around the property, but not one had water in it, and the guy was very helpful and decided to fill one for us and said it would take an hour, got there, and said it would be mid nite when it would be hot. Decided to skip it and have a tub in our room. Breakfast was good, nice buffet, staff very helpful and friendly. Coffee maker in room would be a great plus.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple