All reviews shuttle service breakfast was included armadillo rainbow clouds costa wildlife cabin
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I stayed here for two nights with my 13 year old grandson. It doesn't look or feel like anything Costa Rican. We were at the top of a steep hill, giving us a nice view, but very inconvenient. The restaurant and wi-fi access were at the bottom of a large hill, and it wasn't a hike you'd want to take in the dark. They provide a shuttle, which was certainly a good thing! The rooms were huge with just the basic necessities to fill them up. The entire room was covered in wood. The bedding and drapes looked old and out of date. It seemed to be clean, and the breakfast buffet was fine. I would have preferred something with more Costa Rican atmosphere and newer furnishings.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 June 2014

After staying in European hotels, this one is spacious. Beds are large and comfortable as is bathroom. However, bathroom floor becomes quite slippery because shower is open, no shower curtain or enclosure. Didn't need AC, so didn't miss it. Ask for hair dryer at front desk. Shuttle provided if you don't want to hike the hill. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 June 2014

My husband and I came here last minute for a enduro motor ross ride and were booked in this hotel by the organizers. Has great curb appeal, but would probably not stay again. Little overpriced. I've lived in Costa Rica for 10 years, so I may always be looking for the best deal as things are grossly overpriced here in tourism, that said, I agree with one of the other travellers that the cabin we stayed in had a horrible odor. I'm not sure it was the wood, or the chemical they spray for termites and cockroaches, but with no widows to open or fans, if you have allergies or a very sensitive nose, this will definitely bother you. The worst was the Mosquitos. Not sure how they got in, maybe when we arrived, but had to cover my head all nite. Also the comforter had an odd smell, not sure how clean it was. I'm buying a net today as I have one more nite. Was excited they had jacuzzi tubs all around the property, but not one had water in it, and the guy was very helpful and decided to fill one for us and said it would take an hour, got there, and said it would be mid nite when it would be hot. Decided to skip it and have a tub in our room. Breakfast was good, nice buffet, staff very helpful and friendly. Coffee maker in room would be a great plus.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

The room we stayed in had an amazing view of the mountains and rainforest. There was plenty of wildlife all around the hotel and the location is very convenient and close to everything in Monteverde. The room we stayed in was very large and nice as well.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 15 May 2014

This was an interesting hotel in Santa Elena. We were booked at this hotel through G Adventures. The chalet style was unique. The inside of the hotel and the rooms had a funny odor from the type of wood they used to build the hotel. I wasn't a fan of the odor but I forced myself to get used to it. It was too chilly to keep the windows open.

Some of the rooms are up a very steep hill. We lucked out and got one of the rooms close to the main building. There was not heat or a/c in the room that I noticed. We could have used a heater but there were plenty of blankets available in the room.

I had read some negative reviews on Trip Advisor about the included breakfast options. I was pleasantly surprised at the variety of breakfast choices available and the large size of the breakfasts. These were some of the best breakfasts on our trip. We ate pizza one night at the restaurant, which was very good. There are some great restaurants just a short (and inexpensive) taxi ride away. Our favorite was the "Tree House" restaurant. The frog museum is also somewhat close by and worth seeing. It's a fun night-time activity because many of the frogs and toads are more active at night.

The staff was professional and this seemed to be a family-run operation. I wanted to like it more, but it was pretty average overall.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple