All reviews shuttle service breakfast was included armadillo rainbow clouds costa wildlife cabin
Reviewed 4 January 2013

We were assigned rooms in the top of the hill with great views. The room was large with 2 king beds, very nice firm beds and pillows. But it was a hard trek up the hill to the room and the room did not have even a coffee machine. The phone system was not working the first day we stayed and so we were totally cut off and had to trek down and up for everything. The staff was ok, some of them were very friendly and others kinda cold. The restaurant staff were okay. They gave us milk for our kid which was kinda going bad and when I complained about it, one of the chefs told me that I got it for free and I can go outside and buy milk since I was complaining (attitude!). We washed a few of our tot's socks and panties and they charged us a $1 for every pair of socks which was outrageous. We had to put up a fight to get the charges reduced. Overall okay stay.

Room Tip: make sure you get a room that is walkable.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 January 2013

We stay 3 nights here in December. For some reason we were led to believe this was a "luxury" resort which it is not. The room we had was large and nice looking with 2 king size beds with threadbare sheets and no mattress pads, it was kind of gross. Hot water was limited and a gamble. There is no air conditioning. The windows were limited and screwed shut. The ceiling fan made such a racket that you could not have it on. The weather was okay so we survived.
The spa aspect of the place was not functioning, the 3 little whirlpools were empty.
We stayed at the uppermost lodge which has a great view but it is an interesting uphill walk on a full (or empty) stomach and we are good hikers. The breakfast provided was okay. We went to the $40 a person Christmas dinner with local kids dancing. It was fun but the meal was again, okay.
Most of the staff was friendly and helpful but if you wanted to do something that they did not earn a booking commission (such as hiking in the Children's Rainforest) they were NO help at all. The main building of the lodge is on a busy crazy corner. But the location puts you right between the interesting art shops in Santa Elena which you can walk to with limited effort.

Room Tip: The highest lodge (500s) have a great view but it is a long hilly walk. The 400 lodge is a little lower with a view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Patrick A
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We took a trip to Monteverde, Costa Rica in mid-July of 2012. We stayed at the Hotel Heliconia and were treated so nice by all the employees. We had dinner at the hotels's restaurant that was great! They have a stone pizza oven that made the best pizza ever!!!! They lack a little with their free breakfast but if you don't mind delicious homemade jellies and toast and fruit then eat outside the hotel. We enjoyed our stay here. There rooms are just lovely!!! Our view from our room was great and the birds that visited the trees right in front of my porch was unreal! It's just a very nice hotel to stay and we'll return here for sure. We also stayed at the hotel next door, El Establo Mountain Hotel and the employees were NOT nice espically the girl/woman that works the desk. She is very rude. Our room was really nice but no door on the shower and it made a huge mess on the floor. We did not enjoy this hotel as much as the Hotel Heliconia.
We loved our trip totally!

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed to have a wonderful view of the valley and you can see the Pacific Ocean!!! I would think any rooms at this hotel would be nice.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 June 2012

We stayed 3 nights at this hotel in May and thought it was great. We had the large family suite and found it totally comfortable. Lots of room, very spacious with enclosed patio, balcony, TV, hair dryer and very clean and in good shape. While the décor is not what I would choose for my home, it was very clean and comfortable. We had no issues with any animals or the temperature of the room. Also it looks like the new management is in the process of refurbishing some of the rooms. The shuttle service was very prompt and courteous. We had no issues in using the free internet by the lobby. The restaurant was very good, having breakfast there in the mornings made the pick up for the tours very convenient. The quality and value of the food was very good for both breakfast and dinner. We loved the views and it is in easy walking distance to some nice restaurants and a nice little market for snacks.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 May 2012

My father and I Spent one night here. It was recommended but I was greatly disappointed.

I have to be honest we were coming from La Fortuna and spent the night in a fantastic hotelso it was hard to live up to those standards.

The service is exceptional. Friendly staff and very helpful - absolutely no troubles there. Probably the highlight of the hotel.

No wifi in the rooms - in fact I couldn't even access the network in the "computer room" I had to stand in the lobby.

The whole room was wood panelling - dark but it was clean. Our Door handle fell off. Yes, fell off.

There was a huge gap between the bottom of the door and the floor so bugs crept in our room. Found a big beatle in my bed. Thankfully I was already up and out of bed.

Breakfast was included and it was delicious.

Overall I wouldn't stay here again but the stay wasnt terrible. Given our location in Monteverde I imagine there are much worst hotels to stay at. But next time we will look elsewhere

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family