The Estuary Hotel & Spa
Zesty Guesthouse(Port Edward)(Great Value!)
USD 73
USD 48
  • Pool
Kuboboyi River Lodge(Port Edward)(Great Value!)
USD 40
  • Pool
USD 130
USD 104
Priceline
Palm Cottage Bed & Breakfast(Palm Beach)(Great Value!)
USD 73
Priceline
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
The Old Pont Inn(Port Edward)
TripAdvisor
All reviewssouth coastbeautiful hotelfish eaglesfamily and friendsroom was largerestaurant servicebeautiful scenerypool barhome from homegreat weekendservice was excellentout of this worlda lovely stayspent nightsbreakfast and dinnerhidden gemenjoyed my stay
Reviewed 6 January 2016

Our stay at the Estuary Hotel and Spa was very disappointing. I had arranged a 2 night stay as a Christmas gift for my husband and had also booked a spa treatment. I had emailed the spa in November, and when I got no response after two emails, called the spa and confirmed my appointment telephonically and was told nothing further needed to be done. Upon arrival, I called the spa to confirm my appointment for that afternoon and was told there was no appointment. Apparently I didn’t call to confirm (although at the time of booking the appointment was confirmed) and the spa didn’t bother to contact me to confirm. Thereafter I emailed the spa requesting whether any other times were available. Even though I had included Reservations on my email, and Reservations advised that the spa would contact me, I was finally contacted 30 minutes before my departure 2 days later. The hotel’s attitude is that I need to deal with the spa, but they very clearly advertise themselves as a “hotel and spa”, so the management of the hotel should take full responsibility for the appalling service of the spa as it reflects poorly on the hotel.
In addition to the hassles with the spa, Wi-Fi was not working at all, the TV had problems and even when working, most channels were grainy. There was no information book available in the room with information such as meal times, activities, Wi-Fi password, TV guide, etc., etc. The meals at the restaurant were average at best, and the one meal had to be sent back as the gnocchi was missing a number of the ingredients that were listed on the menu. The only thing this hotel has going for it is the location, which is beautifully located on an estuary and the Cape Dutch architecture is lovely. I definitely would not rate this hotel as a 4-star establishment and would not recommend a stay here.
Oh, and another thing… at 9pm on Sunday night housekeeping knocks on the door to give us two small chocolates. I appreciate the sentiment, but at 9pm at night???

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JaxRose
Reviewed 6 January 2016 via mobile

How this resort got 5 stars is a mystery to me. At the most it is a Coastal Hotel, offering a mediocre proposition. Food is not Resturant quality although the prices are. The one redeeming feature is the staff who are great.With proper management and attention to detail, this shambles could be an vastly improved.

Stayed: January 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank Elwoodblue
LadyL69, General Manager at The Estuary Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2016

Dear Elwoodblue,
Meeting and exceeding GUEST's expectation can only be achieved through efficient and friendly, personalized service. Your comments, together with others we receive, are being analysed and will be instrumental in helping us to maintain and improve, where necessary, our standards of service and facilities.
If you don't mind and have the time Eldwoodblue please could you email me your contact details on gm@estuaryhotel.co.za as I would like to ask you a few questions about our mediocre proposition. We are currently a 4 star Hotel and not a 5.
I look forward to hearing from you,

Reviewed 28 December 2015

Being from Natal I wasn't aware of the great history behind Port Edward. The hotel facilities are super and surprisingly throwing you back to the old colonial Cape Dutch buildings. Sitting on the balcony in the afternoon and wondering about the conditions of that 1st ship wreck. Will be back but will try get a Villa next time closer to the beach.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
LadyL69, General Manager at The Estuary Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2016

Dear daveo88,
It has been our privilege to host you and yes the Estuary is filled with the most amazing history
Should you wish to have more information please just inbox me.
Take Care,

Reviewed 26 December 2015

Being a regular South Coast holiday maker, I had expected Christmas lunch to be a tourist trappy affair. But what we experienced leaves me with little doubt that we were unashamedly gouged. This awful experience included:
-Packing what appeared to be around 300 people into 2 dining rooms, so close it was very difficult to navigate between tables or exits, especially for the poor servers
-What appeared to be 2 buffet tables in total- I'll leave the length of the que to your imagination
-Limited quantities of in-demand dishes (specifically prawns), which exacerbated already long ques
-The servers themselves were confused. They got our drinks bill wrong twice, and when asked to serve a lady declined because she was 'not our waitress'
-A kiddies play area with no child minders. Take one guess who had to supervise the kids when they got bored while waiting for the food que to subside...

In fully understand that the Estuary aims to maximize revenue and minimize costs 'in-season', as would any business which operates with cyclical demand. However this has been the worst example of " 'vaalie exploitation" I have ever experienced, and would strongly advise others to avoid this restaurant during busy periods.

Stefan Schmikal

Stayed: December 2015
4  Thank StefanSchmikal

Dear StefanSchmikal,
Please accept my sincere apologies for the discomfort and inconvenience that you experienced during your lunch. Your feedback about the overcrowded Christmas day certainly does not reflect the high standard of service and quality we are usually proud to offer. We are a new Management Team and this was our first Christmas that we hosted. Our allocation was only for 220 people. However we had so many families that walked in crying for a table and most of these GUESTS were "vaalie exploitation" as you stated StefanSchmikal. Being of good cheer we accommodate them as best as we could.
Unfortunately this year we would not be able to assist anyone that has not done a pre-booking. We are happy to know that you did enjoy our food and hospitality and we do hope to see you again soon.
Take Care,

Reviewed 17 December 2015

The only good thing about the Estuary Country Hotel is its location and stunning view. I was really looking forward to a nice, relaxing few days away with the family. I expected more from a four star hotel than what I had received. The hotel housekeeping standards were very low. The entire time that we were there, our bins weren't emptied until the day before we left when I had to remove the black bin from the bin holder, that was the only time it was emptied out. Our used tea cups and spoons weren't washed at all. The sheets weren't changed the entire time, my daughter had dropped sauce on the sheets, but the bed was made up with the same sheets. We were a family of 4, but there were just 2 bath towels supplied. We had got back from the beach and wanted to shower but there weren't enough bath towels. Called housekeeping at 6pm for 2 more bath towels. At 7pm still no bath towels, called housekeeping again and the lady said that she had forgotten about it and that she would bring them up immediately. At 8:15 pm still no bath towels, called housekeeping again, this time really angry, the bath towels arrived around 8:30pm. The room that we stayed in was infested with ants. We couldn't leave a used glass or a packet of chips out, the next moment it was covered in ants. The carpets really need to be changed, they looked really dirty and my kids refused to walk barefoot on it. The breakfast served on Saturday, 12 December was very disappointing. The only thing I enjoyed about my stay was the stunning view from our room and the dinner at the Fish Eagle Restaurant. The hotel certainly did not live up to my expectation. I don't think that I will be returning any time soon.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
5  Thank thameshreem
LadyL69, General Manager at The Estuary Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2015

Dear thameshreem,
Please accept our humblest apologies that we did meet your expectations it most certainly does not reflect our true hospitality we like to offer at the Estuary Hotel & Spa. I did receive your comments on our GuestRevu, however you asked not to be contacted. Please be ensured that your constructive criticism has been taken seriously and remedial action has taken place, without your comments, we would never know when we are doing right, but more importantly, when we are doing wrong! Thank you for assisting us to strive for service excellence!
Please let me know if I may contact you directly.
Many Thanks,