“good hotel, amazing room” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel Madatsch
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Trafoi
Tel Aviv, Israel
“good hotel, amazing room”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

we slept only one night, and the room was so clean, and so comftorbale, we wish we stayed more...

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Aureius-TLV

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2011

Inspired by Top Gear, my husband really wanted to drive through the Stelvio Pass. We booked this hotel as it is very close to the pass. The hotel has amazing views of the Alps and the location is great. Although it is still in Italy, the staff are German speaking with minimal English and they can come off a bit grumpy, especially the male owner but his wife and the serving staff were nice. The decor of the hotel are stuck in the old style south Tyrol 60-70's hunting lodge era but ever so interesting. It is not suitable for vegetarians or sqeemish people as the walls are decorated with animal head trophies.

The rooms are on par with 3* ski lodges along with ferry type of cabin bathrooms but it served the purpose of a good nights rest before the drive through the pass.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lune2011
Devon, England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2010

Stayed here for one night in order to drive the Grimsel/Stelvio pass. The owner and at least one of the staff (worked in US) can speak English but aren't keen to and the whole emphasis of the place is German. Historically its not part of Italy and they would prefer not to be now.

For the price the room and the food were fine. The retrofit bathrooms were a tad incongrous but preferable to a nightime trekdown the corridor and the only pragmatic solution. The fixed dining was fine for me as waiting between courses has always struck me as a more healthy and civilised way of eating. Parking can be tight but it all seems to work out in the end.

I managed to extract an email in German from them confirming they would be pleased to see me but couldn't get an answer as to whether they wanted a deposit so I was a tad concerned if I had a reservation but all was OK.

The only sour note was when I asked for a cafe americano. Its the standard phrase I've used travelling all over if you want just a regular coffee. Not here. The owner got very huffy and told me in no uncertain terms they didn't serve it with the emphasis on the americano bit. He then proceeded to serve exactly that but by some different name. I'm not American but I dislike any form of cheap prejudice. Maybe the guy gets enough German trade to be able to adopt this attitude. There are other options and folk I spoke to on the pass spoke highly of them. I'd suggest giving them a try.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
4 Thank CJandMrsCJ
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2010

Same as other reviewers, my husband and I stayed in this hotel for a night as it is very close to Stelvio pass. Hotel Madatsch is located on top of a hill, it has an excellent location and beautiful views over the mountains. Hotel guests and the waiter who served us dinner were nice and friendly although they hardly speak fluent english.

We made our reservation in May for a room to stay in September, before our departure, my husband called this hotel to confirm our reservation. A man answered this phone call, spent 5 minutes saying our names, sounded very inpatient and then hung up on us. On our arrival, the man took our passports, gave us the room, told us dinner is prepared and will start at 19:00. It was strange, a fixed 4/5 courses meal with no choice on the main course and couple of other courses. The price for this meal was fair, only if you are prepared to eat so much. More strangely, they had a separate table for us outside the dinning area, away from all other guests. The room did not look as nice as shown on the internet. The design and construction of the bathroom was not practical, ridiculous and unpleasant.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank qmykc
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2009

Like previous reviewer, stayed here as we were driving over the Stelvio Pass. Although it appears to be in Italy it is effectively German (German speaking staff. German guests, naked sauna!). Unfortunately when we arrived they had no record of my booking which was annoying, although we were given a good room with fantastic view. We were told that dinner was at 7.00 but not about the sit-down, 'comulsory' 5 course meal! We just presumed it would be a la carte. Because there is no English information given and none of the staff really spoke English they can't communicate the slightly odd set up of dinner. Having said that, the salad was great and any items I couldn't eat (I am vegetarian) they gave me substitutes. The food was plentiful and couldn't belive it when checking out that it was included in the cost of the room. As was breakfast (very nice, lots of variety). What a bargain!
Swimming pool is nice, bathroom is bit weird and plasticy, location is fantastic.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trafoi
0.3 km away
5.2 km away
Hotel Quarto Pirovano
Hotel Quarto Pirovano
#23 of 42 in Bormio

Been to Hotel Madatsch? Share your experiences!