“Room with a view”

Neighbourhood: Bondi Beach
Melbourne, Australia
“Room with a view”
Reviewed 6 October 2015

So, of late my thing seems to be revisiting my favourite places. Sean's panorama definitely fits into this category. For more than a decade I've been visiting Sean's, and of the 2 dozen visits, I've not had a single bad experience.

Like calling home after being away for to long, revisiting Sean's is reassuring, it offers - and always has - a warmth that I've not experienced in any other establishment.

The food is made with love, passion filled and doted over, the service is given with the same ethos.

Weather has a lot to do with the experience you'll have at Sean's, a rainy night makes it feel all cozy, a warm summers day makes the feel of abundant open sea air and slow days an ease.

A large part of the comfort is Sean's timelessness, it's barely changed, and for that I'm eternally grateful!

Note: the rating system is one star short, if I could offer 6/6 I'd have done just that. Sean's is a must visit for foodies, you haven't had a true Sydney restaurant experience until you've ticked this little establishment off your list.

• Visited September 2015
1 Thank michaelcourtenay

“Good food dulled by very long waits”
Reviewed 1 September 2015 via mobile

Came here for Sunday lunch and the place was packed. We waited an inordinately long time for all our courses. The acoustics also make it very hard to hear each other even though the four of us were seated on a small table.

This place needs one more wait staff to help out. The staff were very friendly but given the price you pay for a meal here, service was bad - plates weren't cleared for a long time and it was 45 mins between our entree and mains. If you don't mind paying up for the long waits, then it's worth a visit given the beautiful views of Bondi on a sunny day.

Food was decent.

Visited August 2015
Sydney, Australia
“Cosy after a long walk”
Reviewed 13 August 2015

I have been wanting to try Sean's for a few months now and they have always been booked out. After walking from Coogee to Bondi we decided to give it a shot (even dressed in our gym gear)
We were the most underdressed two in the whole place and must have looked like a right state however, i didnt feel uncomfortable. We were welcomed into the restaurant, and there was a table for us (winning!)
Waitless was lovely, talked us through the menu. 4 diferent options for each course which was great as you dont feel overwhelmed.
Beautiful home made bread. My only criticism is the butter was too cold and wouldnt spread.
I had the scallops entree which were fresh, and cooked perfectly + a nice glass of white wine.

We only had a quick visit and only one dish, BUT i think the place has a great feel ! Looking forward to returning soon.

• Visited August 2015
1 Thank Ayshea17
Canberra
“Hate to be harsh. Have to be honest.”
Reviewed 12 August 2015 via mobile

I've been meaning to try Sean's for a while - given its reasonably strong reputation in bondi. So I was looking forward to a rustic, flavourful and timeless meal.
Sadly, It was not to be.

We sat & unfortunately were bored by our waitress - who continued to recite the menu to us (that we had already seen and decided amongst). However she was lovely and we're sure - was perhaps just doing what she'd been previously been instructed to. Also, I was recommended a delicious wine called "Roustabout". A cab sav from the Margaret river - it was the highlight.

From here, it only spiralled downwards though. I don't like to ramble so cut a long story short - Bland & boring.

The food has a rustic look and feel that misses the essential mark of execution - in my opinion (of course) this is needed at a restaurant like this.

We expected good bread and butter (both made in house). Which is a huge plus. However We didn't get it good. Under proved, undercooked and just plain below average. Butter was nice, though cold and near impossible to spread.

Pluses were the "doneness" of the proteins. Tender enough for chook and beef. However a parade of under seasoned veg, along with bland poached beef fillet.....(?) left me unimpressed with my dish.
a sloppy roast job on the chook: didn't make for much enjoyment of the marjoram butter.

Another plus was the Tuscan spinach in the side dish. It actually had a bit of seasoning on it.

We weren't asked how our meal was at the end of the night. And so I write...

I like to give the benefit of the doubt, so I will return with another friend on another day! I truly hope we have a great experience and I can blame tonight on a one off lack of concentration.

P.s I have said a lot, only in the hope that the chefs can read this for feedback - as we weren't asked on the night. None the less, thank you and will see you again.

Hate to be harsh.
Have to be honest.

Visited August 2015
2 Thank tengohambre_12
Seattle, Washington, United States
“Farm-to-beach fantastic!”
Reviewed 3 August 2015

Beautiful, pure, un-fussy, incredibly fresh. Not the place for molecular gastronomy or fancy. But for beachside chic, hard to beat. Roasted carrot and braised artichoke salad, roast chicken with parsnip puree, a trifle with ginger jelly, poached pears, passion fruit given the creme brulee treatment on top. Would be back in a minute if i didn't live a 15 hr flight away!

• Visited July 2015