“Fast food just got flare (or is that flair?)”

Da Orazio pizza + porchetta
Ranked #30 of 376 Restaurants in Bondi
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Bondi Beach
Melbourne, Australia
“Fast food just got flare (or is that flair?)”
Reviewed 27 July 2015 via mobile

Third visit, early - Tuesday - rocked in late without a booking. Love the pace of this place, love the pizza!!
The room seems always to be filled with folk who know, this place is beyond great!!!

Sydney, Australia
“Nice food.....shame about service, drinks”
Reviewed 16 July 2015 via mobile

I have been to Da Orazio several times and the food especially ....pizza and porchetta...is first class. We recently went with a group of 8 ( 2 families) and shared a large plate of porchetta and three pizza's. Firstly the porchetta is kinda out of this world.....succulent and herby it is a Sydney taste sensation. And the pizza crust is chewy and well cooked and tasty as all heck...not to mention the quality buffala, ricotta and salame that is used. So the food here gets a big tick. But there are several things that annoy. I tried to give this feedback to the restaurant first but they don't have an email address. And when I called a message bank, in a suitably impressive Italian voice, specifically told me NOT to leave a message.

So my gripes are (in order of severity) :-

- the two sittings, be out by 8pm policy (ok prepared to accept this..they have to capitalise on their profitability and how long does it take to eat pizza)
- it is very noisy ( hard surfaces, bumpy soundtrack) to the point that I don't think the waiters can hear you;
- the staff aren't that friendly ( may have to do with that they are Italian backpackers who find it hard to hear because of the above). But I have never felt welcomed at the restaurant. and when we asked a waiter to cut a pizza it was like we were asking him to split an atom.
- the drink costs are atrocious.

On the last point, a small rant. My wife has an aperol spritz thing at the moment and I often prepare her one when she gets home from work. So she had one at our last visit without consulting the drinks list....it was $18, full of ice and watery.....somewhat like her eyes when she saw it itemised on the bill.

I bought a 700ml bottle of aperol today for $25 so charging $18 for one drink when I suspect you have put in 50ml or less is just plain wrong. It should be more generous with the aperol and way cheaper....AND the restaurant would still make a considerable mark up....and my wife may even have two. Also charging $18 a glass for an unknown Chardonnay is ridiculous...unless it is the equivalent of Leuuwin Estate.

So food is so good at Da Orazio ...but the overall experience could be so much better. Do something about the noise, get the staff to smile and engage, and get the drinks list more appropriate for a pizza and porchetta place and we have a regular haunt. But at the moment some memories need to fade before one visits again.

Visited July 2015
“Good Pizza but too noisy to enjoy conversation”
Reviewed 5 July 2015 via mobile

It took a while to get served when we first arrived. Pizza and pasta tasted great, but if you are looking for somewhere to catchup with friends and have a conversation without yelling at each other and turning your head and getting in close just to hear what the other person is saying then this is not the place to go. I think they are trying hard to be hip and not considering that people also go to dinner to talk and be social. I recommend earplugs if you go!

“Love the food”
Reviewed 30 June 2015

Love the food, simple Italian done very well. Good cocktails too. We usually have a quick meal here as its busy and we never book but the staff always try and fit us in. The staff are generally good, some staff are super cool Bondi hipsters (or so they think) and others can't speak English but they are all pretty friendly and helpful.

• Visited May 2015
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Pizza in Eastern Suburbs”
Reviewed 19 June 2015 via mobile

When it comes to pizza my wife and i are very fussy... the Italian side in us...
The wood fire oven is used to its best.. "Orazio" is the place to go!!!!
Not only is the pizza TRULY like in Naples...but the atmosphere is super cool too.
We have been there multiple times (with other families, romantic date without child... with friends childless) and since we found it, it's been the comparison term for any other pizza restaurant we went to afterwards. Nobody beats that place...
Can't comment on other dishes since we are Vegetarian/Vegans.. but our friends had Porchetta and mixed dishes and drool talking about it!
A must go!!!