Hotel President
Hotel Saturn(Saturn)
  • Pool
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 18 May 2016 via mobile

This hotel isn't bad but its 4 stars would be the international 2-3 stars hotel. Instead, is one of the best optiona for accomodation in Mangalia. It has a strategic position in town, situated right next to the Mangalia beach, in the top center of the town. It is a nice place

Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 September 2014

I wanted to start differently, but I was shocked by reading a couple of co-nationals' reviews (which I can only second, to a large extent), and especially one. I stayed at this hotel (I will explain soon why I was there in the first place) in September, for just one night (6th to 7th). Well, even then the main/lobby elevator was not functional. Gentiana C was saying it would not work (at least since) mid-August. So, three weeks down the road with no intervention of any specialized personnel whatsoever. Cool. The truth is that the hotel is out for sale, so, in the awesome local spirit, its present owners are perhaps doing (almost) nothing in any respect - towards improving/repairing/maintaining facilities. Yes, the AC in my room was not working either. I mean it seemed it worked once you turned it on, but it also made such powerful a noise that we immediately shut it down. Fortunately, it was warm enough that September afternoon, yet not that hot, so I/we could live with the window open until some point when it would become risky as mosquitos, flies, etc would be drawn by the light inside... We left the premises anyways then, as we headed to a wedding - the very reason we were there. The party after the religious ceremony took place in the restaurant - a big, bland (alike the food) salon, communist style - right across the main building itself, towards the beach. Speaking about the beach, the position of the hotel is amazing. Pity they made a mess out of it... Coming back to my paramount idea, illustrated by the title - one could see this particular venue was quite something several years ago. Somebody said it was down-ranked/downgraded from four to three stars. Let me add something - next to the entrance on the small museum (yes, it comprises/includes a museum as well!) side you can see the mark (scar...) of one star taken from the formerly existing four. Though inside, behind the Reception desk, you notice there are only two left. Just by accident? I strongly doubt. Yes, the personnel at the Reception seem untrained properly/possessing little in common with this particular domain of services. The younger one tried, but... it was awkward. I found the better term: yes, awkward is the predominant feeling, next to sadness. Because you can easily perceive how it was in its heyday. There is/was also a business center here, but its very letters composing the name are now melting down on the building wall facing the stairs to the sea... And yes, there is a small museum enclosed. A part of a Roman wall, which belongs to the ancient fortress anticipating the modern city, is waiting for people to witness... a hosting hotel aiming towards reaching a similar state. :) Pity. Pity. Pity. The first impression of a former high-quality thing is reinforced by a lot of small/not that small details, as you enter the room. One - OK, maybe not necessarily everyone :) - could instantly notice the fine matching of all furniture, design accessories and appliances, tones and colors naturally blending. Even the tall/floor lamp was not a basic, but a much cooler one. Maybe it's too far stretched, but to me it seemed that the original room design intention was more similar to one you'd find in a boutique hotel. The sink & shower taps are a bit old, granted, but of a good quality, not the cheap items you find in most Romanian hotels nowadays. The toiletries are similar to those offered by some 3-4 star hotels abroad I stayed in. The toilet paper - please don't laugh - is a 3-ply Zewa (one of the more expensive brands available). I think you got my drift. Especially if you are also the detail-oriented kind. Though it's difficult to plainly overlook the phone in the bathroom. I mean it would mean business. As for the room itself, I had no problems with. It's very large, as it should in a 4-star hotel. Large (king size, I deem) bed, good mattress, pillows, clean bedding - same goes for the towels (one was visibly older, having the hotel name engraved). The fridge is a bit dated, too, but perfectly working - the milk for my daughter stayed fresh enough until the next morning so that she would not refuse to drink it = the perfect criterion. Unfortunately, the nicer parts are shadowed by the lack of any solid efforts in making this place more as it used to be (= my mother-in-law, plus some other family members & friends told me that it actually rocked at some point, not only because its positioning). The smell in the lobby/on the stairs is almost unbearable... and, oh, the secondary/personnel elevator, next to the kitchen, got also broken during our stay (for some co-nationals do not behave and/or do not think, but this is another story). Guess what? It did stay as such until we left. I wonder whether it got fixed at least until today, almost three weeks later. I really cannot say anything about the breakfast, as we did not have any. But at 35 lei/person it seemed rather overpriced. The hotel in Jupiter that we stayed in, except this one night, namely Rio (you can read my two reviews of/on), was charging about 20 lei, while the price for accommodation was almost similar to the one at President... So we deemed it was not worth it, plus we anyways had a sort of a late brunch-to-lunch as a follow up to the wedding party, in line with a very Romanian tradition... I realize this is probably the most messed-up review I've come up with, but I am sure you got the idea. Plus I've attached a few (unbiased/no-Photoshop) photos. In the end, I would like to express again my deep & sincere sadness towards this fading/ed glory accommodation unit. P.S.: I, the usual picky suspect, was the one who least badmouthed it from all the family members and guests. :) And yes, contrary to the popular beliefs (and perhaps my family's ones - though I told this to my wife, while I was pointing out the specific, few things I did not like), I would return. Despite the lack of hot water in the shower (I honestly did not need any, it's getting steamy inside there anyways)... and of any internet connection. Even if it's listed on booking.com, for example. But same it's ironing - translated in, first hand experience, you can get an iron from reception if you ask for. Laundry? I highly doubt, but you can check for yourself. Adventure is/should be part of any voyage, OK? P.P.S.: Reading just now - I never do this before having written my own piece - some reviews on the aforementioned booking.com, I realize I was kinda lucky... :)

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank DragosPlacinta
Reviewed 18 August 2014

This is my first visit after 20 years in Mangalia, so I really wanted to go there and thus I chosen a local hotel. To start with the begining, the position of the hotel is perfect, right on the beach side. It was build in 1994 and since then, no major refresh in the furniture and appliances. Old room, with old AC and fridge that worked nevertheless.
Very good cosmetics and towels but almost no hot water, only in the evening and in the morning.
The breakfast was an honest 3 star one.
The personle was OK with the exception of the girls from the front-desk. They are untrained, they behave like in a marketplace, shouting after the clients, don't bother to say a simple hello in the mornings or evenings.

Room Tip: at this time there is no good room, only acceptable ones.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mihai_BM
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

On the positive side:
   *new, clean towels, they looked better than in some 4* hotels I stayed in
   *friendly reception ladies
   *big rooms with large balcony
On the negative side: Unfortunately vary bad maintained.
   *Elevator didn't work
   *cleaning was missing all together. We stayed for 2 nights, no one entered the room, not even to pick up the garbage;
   *breakfast very poor and unwell cooked
   *furniture must have 20+ at least.
   *quality of service (except reception) was bad, but seems to de a general trait in Mangalia. People don't know how to approach or talk to customers in a professional, friendly manner.
   *there is a pool just across the hotel, looks really bad and you'll have to pay 10 Ron to use it, even if you're a guest of the hotel
   *there was an A/C machine in the room, but not functional, we had to sleep with the balcony door open which made it very difficult to fall asleep, due to the outside noise
If you have other options, do choose another hotel.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gentiana C
Reviewed 5 August 2014

It used to be a 4* hotel. They downgraded it to 3* about a week ago. I would call it justice. The rooms are small, old furniture (i don't think "old" describes furniture whose doors are falling apart, etc), average breakfast, unprofessional staff (they tried, but a bunch of old mammas and teens can't do the trick), and so on...

Room Tip: For a good room, choose another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple