“Beware!!!! Shady business ethics!”

Roatan Tours Company
Ranked #20 of 22 Tours in West Bay
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I am a firm believer that you give someone the opportunity to make amends prior to posting a negative review so rest assured that we did just that. We booked a sunset cruise with this tour company that boosted a band called the West End Players, unlimited drink and food and a sunset tour. We put down a deposit and finalized our reservation the day of the tour confirming at the time that the band was still playing.

I guess we should have clued in when we arrived on the dock and the band was not there. I asked again and was assured they we just running behind. Then we were loaded in a water taxi and shuttled out to the boat, which I now believe was to ensure we were on board and therefore committed before we clued in to the entertainment swap. Then amazingly we returned to the dock to pick up the musicians and instruments. The musician was not the same style of music and far from the quality of the band promised. Then the generator failed to work so even the substitute musician couldn't play. The staff did their best to rectify the problem and we even tipped the poor young man that ran from dock to dock in search of a spark plug. A member of our party was able to help them fix the generator but so late that all we got was 3 songs in the 3.5-4 hour tour. The all you can eat and drink was impossible as the staff hands their hands full trying to get the music going, we even resorted to serving our selves. We were told to go to the booth the next day to see what could be done to compensate us. Unfortunately the individual who sold us the tour (I will not name him because we are friends of his sister and mother) was on the missing list for the remaining 10 days of our vacation. Another staff member offered us a cruise the next week to which we said no because half of our party had already left and we knew that the West End Players weren't playing to which he replied he couldn't help if they cancelled. Another lie, we know the band and they confirmed when we saw them the day after the tour that they had never been booked. When I advised him that I knew this fact he quickly retreated. We paid good money for what was a water taxi with a couple of beers to West End and back. My advice book with the other tour company's along the beach. These guys are located on the corner lot between Bananarama and Paradise.

Let me say that we have been to Roatan 19 times and this bad experience will not stop us from returning again. It just irritates me that such experiences can affect others impressions of the island people which are some of the nicest, most genuine and honest people I have met in any of the islands. Stay away from this shady organization and I'm sure you will grow to love the island as much as we do. Most of the activities are still reasonably priced in comparison to some of the more popular destinations such as DR, Mexico etc. and for the most part good value for your money.

Reviewed 5 March 2017

My friend and I were referred to this company by Paradise Beach Hotel, where we were staying. Since the hotel referred us to them (their stand is at the Bananarama next door) we assumed it was a legit company. We signed up for the 2.5hr snorkel tour after asking several questions, including, "How long do we actually snorkel?" We should have walked away right then because we never got a straight answer about our time in the water. We were told we would go to TWO snorkel sites, have a mangrove tour, and see dolphins. We were also told to arrive at the stand at 9:15 for a prompt 9:30 departure. We arrived on time, but we didn't get on the boat until 10:15. I'm pretty sure they delayed our trip because we were the only ones that signed up and they were trying to drum up more business. Once the tour started, it all went downhill. The "mangrove tour" portion of the trip involved the boat docking at a gas station for about 15min with some mangrove trees nearby. We were told we could get out of the boat and buy some cokes or water. We never really did understand what we were doing at a fill-up station when we thought we were supposed to be snorkeling. Next came the dolphins. When this portion of the tour was described to us, they made it sound like we would visit an area with known dolphin sightings, and we wouldn't be getting in the water with the dolphins because they are protected. Nope. We literally drove by Anthony's Cay dolphin experience in the boat. Captured dolphins, in an enclosure, with people who pay to get in the water with the dolphins. Had I known this part of the trip was going to be a pirating of someone else's business, and had I known we were going to partake in the exploitation of captured dolphins, I would have NEVER given this company my money. Next, we puttered over to a bay with a grassy bottom and I thought, "you've got to be kidding me, we're going to snorkel in grass instead of coral?!" But no, we STILL weren't getting in the water. Instead, one of our tour guides (both of whom were speaking only in Spanish BTW, so I was doing my best to translate for my non-Spanish-speaking friend) jumped in the water and fished out a starfish and passed it around. By now our trip was at the 2hour mark and my friend and I were convinced we weren't going snorkeling AT ALL. We were preparing to go back to the stand and demand our money back. We were so pissed we had wasted our entire morning on this trip. On our way back to West Bay, we finally stop and are given the chance to snorkel. For 30 min total. That was it. What's more, the site wasn't great for snorkeling - the water was at least 30ft deep, so we weren't close to the coral at all. I have been diving and snorkeling in Roatan many other times and know for a fact there are hundreds of dive/snorkel sites that completely surround the island, and there are plenty of spots that are shallow enough for really good snorkeling. This spot was not one of them. In fact, we saw divers at the bottoms doing check-offs because it was the perfect depth for a dive class. Once we got back to the beach, we told the people at the stand we weren't happy with the trip because we only got to snorkel for 30min and they acted surprised and said we should have been in the water for at least an hour. What's more, we only stopped at one site, not two like we were told the day before. The cost of the trip was supposed to be $55 but because we stayed at the Paradise Beach Hotel we got a deal for $40/person. I have done a $120/person snorkel trip with another company and honestly feel like you get what you pay for in Roatan. Be prepared to pay more with another company in order to get a really great underwater experience.

Reviewed 20 February 2017

really good half day tour even had time to do a little snorkeling saw some lovely places and met some nice people

Reviewed 20 March 2016

We attended West Bay and stayed at the Mayan Princess. We used the Roatan Tour company for parasailing and we were able to rent scooters through them. Since we booked both of these at the same time they discounted both items for us. We used another company to book a snorkeling trip but they change the date at the last minute. My wife was hoping to see some turtles while snorkeling. We told Pinky this and he offered a private snorkeling tour with one of the locals and guaranteed we would see turtles. We got picked up on the saturday morning by our guide and his 6 year old son and an assistant. My wife got to see her turtles and a large eagle ray .It was the highlight of our trip. Thank you Pinky, job well done. When we go back this will be our company of choice for any excursions.

See more reviews
Reviewed 14 February 2016

The tour we did with this company was the snorkeling combo. It is supposed to include: 1h of snorkeling in a good location, a dolphin show, a stop to see sea stars and a tour of the mangrove trees rivers. The picture they show you are REALLY misleading...

1st, the dolphin show isn't what is showed on the picture, dolphins jumping near your boat... What it actually is is we are scavenging from the Anthony key dolphinarium. The boat goes near their installations so we can see what they are doing. We see what the trainers let us see from over the fence, which is not much. I am not really sure we are really welcome there... The trainers completely ignores us.

The sea star portion is the only part that is as advertised. We go in the water and search for sea stars for nice pictures.

The mangrove trees is actually a joke... If we blink, we will miss it... They made a little stop to take gas where it 'looks' a bit like it could be the mangrove tree jungle... We actually never got close to it and maybe it was announced, or not, i cannot say because the 2 guides only speak spanish at twice the speed limit. I can understand a bit of spanish, but not at that rate.

Then, finally, the snorkeling.... It was real nice (of course), what can go wrong for snorkeling... Except that the hour was actually no more than 30 minutes (being generous).

The boat ride there was actually an activity by itself as there was a LOT of waves... Maybe they shortened the tour due to the bad sea conditions, but again, no explanations or apologies.

The boat did not inspire a feeling of safey as it is very small with basic seats and no life jackets for everyone as they fill it to its capacity.

We were glad we did not pay the full price for the activity... We got it at 30$us per person. Overall, we liked it because it was a crappy day weather wise and it allowed us to do something different. But beware it is a tourist trap.

1  Thank Pancho_and_Pancha