“A nice place to spend a rainy day”

Bananarama Island Activities Center
Ranked #10 of 18 Tours in West Bay
Tampa, Florida
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“A nice place to spend a rainy day”
Reviewed 31 January 2012

We visited West Bay on a cruise stop in January 2012. We took one of the group tour buses, which was $15 per person, much lower than the quoted $60 cab ride. After walking down the beach to find a place to set up camp for the day, we settled on Bananarama. Unfortunately, not five minutes after paying the very reasonable $5 chair rental fee, the rains started. We took cover in the dining area, which had ample seating (and more importantly, a roof!). There was a very entertaining musician playing the synthesizer and singing, much to the delight of the rowdy crowd, which made sitting in the rain a bit more bearable. The food at their restaurant was great- very fresh and reasonably priced. I'm a vegetarian, and their veggie wrap was really good, as were the homemade tortilla chips. I seem to recall, though I can't say for sure, that they also had other vegetarian options on the menu. The service was a bit slow, but to be fair they were very busy due to the unexpected storm, and there were a few large groups there. We would definitely return and hope for better weather!

Visited January 2012
1 Thank RobinH81

Tampa, Florida
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Great cruise ship day”
Reviewed 23 January 2012

We booked a beach package with Bananarama on our cruise ship port day in Roatan. We had done this in October of 2010 and enjoyed it tremendously and this time was no exception. We were met by a driver and driven ina van to the resort on West Bay Beach. We checked in at the activity center and were given and arm band and a staff member showed us around and pointed out the facilities. We got a couple fo chairs on the beach and settled in with a drink. We walked along the beach and snorkeled to the left of the pier and saw some amazingly beautiful corals and a variety of fish. As we alked back down the beach, it was starting to get crowded with other cruise ship passengers - seemingly many more than were there when we visited a year ago. We had lunch at Bananarama's beachfront restaurant and received good food and excellent service. We headed back to our chairs and the sweet guy who was setting out lounge chairs came over and brushed the sand off my chair where my feet had been before. There were LOTS of people on the beach and many chairs had been put out, but none were really that close to us and I did not feel like my space had been invaded...which is a good thing because you want to relax on the beach.
We met back at the van at our arranged upon time to return to the ship and we arrived back in plenty of time. No complaints at all. We enjoyed our day and will most likely use theme again if in Roatan on a cruise ship.

Visited December 2011
2 Thank ccisme
Knoxville
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Bananarama - if on Carnival Cruise, stick with Mohagany Bay”
Reviewed 23 December 2011

We recently sailed on the Carnival Dream, which included a stop at the Isla Roatan. We had been here previously, so thought we would try something different. I booked a beach day at the Bananarama Resort. The driver and resort staff (office, bar, beach attendant, etc) were very nice, and we did not have any trouble getting there. The facilities and beach were very attractive. The main problem was the constant barrage of people trying to sell you souvenirs. They would come up to people on lounge chairs, and just were very persistent. Every two or three minutes, someone would come by. Also, the main snorkeling area was about 1/4 mile down the beach, away from the Bananarama resort. This area was actually in front of another resort, so we could not use their facilities. It cost $70 for two of us, and it was interesting to see a different part of the island, but Carnival has improved the Mohagany Bay area significantly, and there is no fee if you don't mind walking to that beach. If you are a diver, yes, you need to go to a Dive Resort. If you just want a beach day, Mohagany Bay is probably the better value, without the persistent vendors.

Visited December 2011
Columbus, Ohio
97 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 328 helpful votes
“West Bay Beach (Bananarama) Honduras”
Reviewed 21 October 2011

After the zip lining, we were taken to West Bay Beach and dropped off at Tabyana. He said they always drop everyone off there because it was the “free access area”. They parked in a parking lot, so you did have to walk to the place to get to the beach. It had rained for days, so it was very muddy!

The area was nice and since we were with a group, everyone had to agree on a time to meet back at Tabyana to leave and go back to the port. Others decided that they wanted to leave at 2pm (which was a little earlier than I wanted to go since snorkeling is MY THING and could spend all day there, but I agreed and I’m not the type to raise a fuss about anything). Everyone does have to agree for the same time (unless you want to pay to get back to the port of course). We had wanted to snorkel a bit and then go get some food at Bite On The Beach, where they have Eels there to view in the water, but we knew after this that our time would be limited and we would not get to do this.

We all took off on our own. I went in front of Infinity hoping to find the “kidney” in the water and get into some serious snorkeling. After talking to several people from the island (and seeing the water for myself), I knew it was not going to be a good snorkeling day. They had multiple days of non-stop rain and bad weather and the water clarity was not good at all. We were told the best area to see anything would be to head to the end of the beach by the rocks because the clarity seemed to be better over that way today (maybe the huge rocks protected a lot of the stir up of the ocean floor??? I don’t know).

We went to West Bay because we heard the snorkeling was so great in a certain area right in front of Infinity Bay. Upon entering…yea, no clarity. We figured we’d just have to bring the fish to the surface to us…out came the fruit loops and out came hundreds of fish. It just still wasn’t easy to get pictures.

This was also the first time that my 3 year old had been in the ocean to swim. We were not sure how she was going to react and had figured one of us would stay on the shore while the other snorkeled and then vice versa. Nope, once again, she amazed me and swam right alongside of us. Starring down into the water at the fish and giggling the entire time. Every once in a while we would hear a screech of laughter come from her when a fish touched her legs. I put her mask on her and dipped her head under several times for her to see. But, she hasn’t got the hang of it to actually snorkel on her own yet. Maybe next year.

We did find that the more we went out, the better the clarity. Still not the greatest, but it worked.

We came in several times to rest and explored the rock wall with all the holes in it. I ran into a photographer that had a micro lens and was taking pictures of the crabs in the holes. Wish I had my slr at that point…but oh well.

We also discovered several iguanas baking in the sun on the rocks above. It was such a beautiful site to see those huge rocks and all the flowers and greenery growing on it at the top.

Once it was time to head back to Tabyana, we decided to stop in a little ice cream store and get something to snack on before returning to the ship. We ran into a really nice guy that had just moved there 2 months ago from Nevada. He went on about how cheap things were there on the island and easier to make money. Food and rent was cheap and in several months he would be flying his girlfriend and daughter there to join him. We talked for a long time and we found most on the island to be very friendly.

By the time we were done snorkeling and got back to Bananarama, we had missed out on the grilling they were having outside. :( So we had to settle for a milkshake which was yummy.

We had a great time and hopefully we will be able to return again some day when the water is clearer. We would highly recommend this place.

See this link for a lot more pictures: --

Visited September 2011
5 Thank mitsugirly
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“great if you don't mind people sitting on top of you at the beach”
Reviewed 10 February 2011

my gf and i did not stay at Bananarama rather we stayed at a different place and used their place to rent beach chairs from and occasionally kayak. The price for a week of chairs and kayak use was 10 dollars, obviously extremely reasonable. We gladly paid the fee. However, apparently so did everyone else who arrived by the two large cruise ships that seem to come to the island each day and deposit hundreds of people. They all seem to head to bananarama for some reason. maybe the ships have a contract with the hotel but each day there were so many people that they occasionally ran out of chairs. I later discovered that they charge 5 per day to rent the chair and use a kayak so it made sense that the cruise shippers would go there. Granted, armed with this knowledge, we decided to head to the north end of the beach to get away from most of the visitors. We spent most of our vacation renting from another place that was much quieter. On one of the last days of our vacation, i wanted to use a kayak so we went back to bananarama (the other place did not have them). My gf sat on a chair and positioned it under a palm tree to get some shade (it was a weekend day and there were no cruise ships around so it was actually quiet -- shame roatan allows the ships at all bc it is gorgeous when not littered by hundreds of day trippers. I went into the sea with the kayak and when i left, my gf was quite content sitting under her tree. i wish i had a camera to demostrate what i returned to when i came back in... There were at least 7 or 8 locals sitting on bananarama chairs in a line immediately behind her. I don't mean a few feet like it would be on a crowded beach day, i mean literally, the back of her chair was touching the front of the person's in back of her. It was one of the funniest things i had ever seen. Apparently, after i went out in the kayak, a family of locals arrived and also got chairs. The guy responsible for distributing the chairs asked the family where they wanted to sit and they said the shade. The guy then plunked the rented chairs so thqat they were all under the same tree where my gf was sitting. she told me they continually bumped her chair in order to squeeze theirs in (keep in mind, it was not crowded, no cruise ships were there, and there were many many other shaded areas to stick a chair). the workers never once even apologized for bumping into her chair over and over again to set up the others. She told me no one asked her if she would move over (not that there was a need), but that the family decided they wanted to sit EXACTLY where she was and bananrama was more than happy to accomodate them. I asked her why she didn't move and she said she was so pissed that the hotel did this that there was no way she was moving to accomodate them when all they had to do is ask her if she minded moving or at least apologized for their terrible service.

i hope i set the scene so you understand why i think bananarama's service blows. if i didn't, i will leave you with this visual... had the family lined up to take a portrait, my gf would have looked right at home in the middle of that picture and grandma would have likely asked who the brunette in the middle of the picture was, and whose wife she was.

we told someone about this, and all they did is keep going "oh." no one even apologized. And lest you are thinking we are crotchety old folks (nothing against crotchety old folks), keep in mind we are a 28 year old girl and me, a 33 year old boy who generally consider themselves pretty laid back.

nice one banarama. as a reminder, i can't speak to the hotel itself, the restaurant or the dive shop quality. all i can say is if you like crap service at the beach and want to stay at a place that just wants to horde in the money and couldn't care less about a baseline level of service, go ahead and rent a chair from them.

3 Thank world0022