De Oude Herberg
Vindoux Tree House Guest Farm & Spa(Tulbagh)(Great Value!)
USD 59
African Tulip Guesthouse(Tulbagh)(Great Value!)
USD 73
Manley Wine Lodge(Tulbagh)(Great Value!)
USD 79
USD 61
Tulbagh Boutique Heritage Hotel(Tulbagh)(Great Value!)
USD 104
Saronsberg Vineyard Cottages(Tulbagh)(Great Value!)
USD 40
  • Free Internet
Wittedrift Manor House(Tulbagh)(Great Value!)
USD 67
Raptor Rise(Tulbagh)(Great Value!)
USD 52
Orbitz.com
USD 78
Montpellier De Tulbagh(Tulbagh)(Great Value!)
USD 54
Buffalo Drift(Tulbagh)
Priceline
  • Pool
All reviewsguest housechurch streetlittle gemplace to staymountains
Reviewed 21 March 2017

Arrived in Tulbagh and checked in/checked out of another guest house where I could not stay. Booked De Oude Herberg online and arrived before the owner was even aware of my reservation. No problem! I was welcomed warmly and at once made to feel at home. Good room (even better beds) and a beautiful, established garden. Shady nooks to sit - the rooms through the garden at the back have the most tranquil veranda. The house is an absolute treasure trove of beautiful furniture, books and paintings. Breakfast - I had the best ever scrambled eggs! Will surely go again!

Room Tip: All rooms good.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 February 2017

This is an excellent guest house in a beautiful village. It is situated in Church street where there is lots of old building to visit. The room at the guest house was excellent and the breakfast was brilliant. This is the place to stay if you visit this lovely village.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2016 via mobile

Decent place to stay, friendly, fresh bedding, you will not get mugged but oh my goodness, I have never never seen so many cobwebs. That room has not seen a spring clean in years! My hair drier caused a cobweb tsunami as they were blasted out of crevices. This establishment is in need of a clean broom in more than one sense.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
Herbergtulbagh, Owner at De Oude Herberg, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2016

Dear Skattejag

Thank you very much for your feedback and apologies for the late response. We have since done a full clean of the property and put strict checks in place to ensure something like this never happens again. We hope that you will one day give our guesthouse another try, and apologise for the unfortunate experience you had with us.

All the best
Jan du Toit

Reviewed 24 March 2016

We had thought of booking at the Old Herberge but were put off by the very variable reviews on Trip Advisor. So we stayed at the Tulbagh Country Inn (which wins the prize, against heavy competition, for the slowest breakfast in the Cape. But we did take the chance to visit the Old Herberge, and Sherlock Holmes- like, to find out what the matter is. The building is well placed in Church street (the historic heart), and looks charming. Inside we found two coloured (are we still allowed to say that?) minding the store and they served us with a delicious apple drink. We then met the owner and it appears that he used to run the place with his wife, but she died(I think) last year. We concluded that this accounted for the somewhat erratic service. But the inside looked fascinating, with lots of books and pictures - and an excellent piano. I hope the owner cheers up and takes note of the criticisms here because he has a very interesting property , and potentially distinguished hotel

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 February 2016

We booked for three nights but extremely disappointed by the hotel and the restaurant - left after two nights. What I found amazing was the management did not even ask why! When we arrived we certainly were not made welcome - this is your room! There was no detail of amenities, breakfast, etc.
We were in the Ruby bedroom. It was well furnished in the style suitable for the property. Bathroom was adequate but really needed updating. There comes a point when being authentic just is not acceptable. The shower was over the freestanding Victorian bath but with no curtain - just a plastic screen on one side - the floor flooded each time we had a shower. Bedding was really clean and crisp. Disappointed that we had no terrace as the door was locked and a large unit in front of it.
One of our big disappointments was the swimming pool. When we arrived the water was filthy. The area round the pool was very neglected. The wooden loungers had no covers. Towels were hanging on pegs above a very grubby dogs bed - with dog! We didn't know if these were clean or had been used by other guests and left to dry. Obviously a no go area.
Our second disappointment was the restaurant. From ordering it took 65 minutes for the food to arrive. Husbands steak was okay but my pasta was inedible - far too salty. I was asked if I wanted a dessert but my choice was not available. They offered Pavlova. Obviously the South African version is different to all others I have eaten. I was served two meringue nests - one filled with warm lemon cheese and the other filled with ??. Sliced banana on the plate and a small scoop of ice cream was my Pavlova.
Breakfast on our first morning was little better. We never got the toast we asked for, couldn't find the staff but as there were no jams, butter, etc on the table then we decided we were not getting any.
Our second breakfast - different staff - just the opposite. Dining room was lit, jams, etc on table. Good service and no complaints.
After two nights we were not enjoying our stay and so decided to move. Incredibly no one asked why. If I was the owner I certainly would want to know why guests were leaving.i told the lady on reception about the pool. She said it was the pump and she would tell uncle - owner?
Before we left we looked at the pool - what a transformation. Obviously whilst we were out the previous day - all day as we didn't want to be in the pool area - they had really worked hard cleaning the pool and surroundings. Did they hear us complaining?
It still had towels on hooks but no dog basket. Beds no covers but all the furniture was nicely presented.
If the pool area and breakfast service had been like this when we arrived then we would have been happy to stay indeed would probably stayed another day.
Now the management need to ensure this level of cleanliness and service.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple