New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Simple base for backpackers” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Plateau Lodge

Plateau Lodge
Windsor, United Kingdom
“Simple base for backpackers”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2011

We stayed one night at Plateau Lodge in a "double ensuite" so that we could be really close for our Tongariro Alpine Crossing trip the next day. Turned out that this was a wise move as the people travelling from Taupo had a very early start which isn't great when you're trekking 20km!

Plateau Lodge felt very backpackery for which, in our late twenties, we feel a little old! The room was comfortable (though would've been nicer if it didn't also have a bunkbed squished in along with our queen bed!) but served the purpose and the bathroom was clean, big and with a good shower. The rooms all came off a skinny corridor which wasn't remotely soundproof as we discovered in the middle of the night! In terms of facilities, we used the shared kitchen out of necessity to prepare food in the evening and our packed lunches. It was well-stocked but again, felt distinctly like a hostel.

Elsewhere on our holiday in NZ, we stayed in motels but there seemed little choice in National Park. To be fair, it probably represented good value for money but if you, like we, are on a holiday, rather than travelling the world on a tighter budget, it may be better to look for somewhere which offers more privacy.

Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank review_84

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

We (my boyfriend and his brother) found the Plateau Lodge when looking for an affordable but comfortable and CLEAN place to stay when heading to the mountains for a couple of days skiing.

The owners were lovely, accommodating, very friendly and more than happy to help us with all of our questions. I could not believe how clean it was including the social areas and it is small enough to not have to worry about travelling far to get to the bathrooms etc.

It was warm, showers were great, it was clean and I loved it. Oh and not to mention the hot tub which was ace after a day on the mountain!

Highly recommended! Enjoy!

Room Tip: We stayed in the three bed which has a bunk and double bed so would be great for families.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
      Location
      Rooms
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2011

I really liked this place. It had charm. The property has individual apartments on one leg of the building and hostel type facilities (multi-person units with shared bathrooms) on the other leg. There are two ensuite units upstairs for just a few dollars more. The interior has the soft wood walls and floors often found in Alpine hotels. The reception area and ensuite units have nice carpet adding warmth to the atmosphere. A common area has a big screen TV. A hot tub is downstairs. Neither presents a noise problem because the TV is so far away and the hot tub closes at around dinner time. One computer monitor provides internet service downstairs.

I stayed upstairs in one of the ensuite units. It is perfect for a couple or a solo traveler like myself. The unit is small but adequate and has architectural details that enhance that alpine charm (duvets, designer carpet and bath fixtures). My only complaint, and I had to stretch to get this one - the facebowls are a bit small for shaving or brushing teeth. The property reflects the pride of the owners who are meticulous about maintenance and energetic about improvements. They have indicated number of projects that will enhance the property.

The property is on Carroll Street, just minutes from Intercity or Naked bus dropoffs. Across the street is a recommended ski rental shop - Ski Biz and around the corner on the main road are 3-4 decent restaurants. I tried them all and found them to be good. For 25NZ, you can shuttle up to Whakapapa for skiing.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

We had booked an ensuite room for 2 nights, and I was so glad to arrive here after a very long day from East Cape. The room was exactly like what was shown on the web, very clean and cosy, albeit small. Ours was on the second floor, and we were the only guests checked in on that level for the 2 nights we were there. However for the free Wi-fi provided, initially I had thought that it would be for unlimited usage, but we were given a coupon for 100MB for our 2 nights of stay.

The communal kitchen was huge and spotlessly clean! Recommended!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

Staff extremely rude. She handed me the voucher Zenbu for the wireless (they advertised free wireless) but didn't work cause was expired on the 31st of May 2011. I was not upset at all so I just contact her again (can't remember her name) explaining the situation. She was really defensive and told me that it was my PC. I explained and show her on my Pc that the signal wireless was picked but while opening my Browser couldn't redirect to the Zenbu page, so unable to put the access code. She then get really angry shaking her head, she was so mad and jumped on her desktop PC and show me that she can access the Zenbu website saying: you see I'm on the website shouting at me! I stayed calm and understood she was agitated and didn't know what to do without any IT skills, so I kindly suggest her to call Zenbu to find out more but she ignore me and not even answer me. I also let her notice that her desktop was already connected by ethernet and always online. She then replied abruptly and shouting at me: HEY I'M NOT STUPID I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN! So I said why you showed my that you can be on the website with your desktop? She slam on her counter two 15 minutes code to use on the PC's around the reception area and she shout at me that's all I can do! I couldn't reply and unable to explain more cause she was extremely aggressive, so I avoid any confrontation and I was thinking what's next if I say anything else. She was not happy of her job and at the beginning when I asked her if she had a map of the area she bang her fist on the desk stating: where the hell they put the map I have no clue. Then she told me she's there only two days a week so she doesn't know much. She seems to be not comfortable to attend people at all but I didn't mind at the beginning and we were very tired so I didn't check the wireless voucher when she handed to me. I'm extremely upset and unfortunately I won't give a nice feedback of the place. Very bad experience. Especially if we consider just a few people were in the Lodge so no busy and she couldn't be justified being that busy! In the morning she was just wondering around with her small children. I suggest instead the Travelers Lodge which is the place we had dinner, absolutely another world since we get in!!!!! Very warm and cosy atmosphere and great Staff!!! We regret we didn't book and stay there instead. After dinner we didn't want to go back to the horrible place and we watch SKI TV on the big Lounge inside the Travelers Lodge. p.s. a mouse trap was just next to the fridge of the bedroom of the Plateau Lodge!!!!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
0.3 km away
Howards Mountain Lodge
Howards Mountain Lodge
#4 of 9 in National Park Village

Been to Plateau Lodge? Share your experiences!