“A Little Bit of Paradise” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Brisas Guardalavaca Hotel

Brisas Guardalavaca Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Guardalavaca
Stirling, Scotland
“A Little Bit of Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

My husband and I stayed at Brisas 3-14 April. We had a fantastic holiday. Our room was on the second floor facing the garden and was peaceful, hardly any noise in the corridor from fellow guests.

We had a leak in the bathroom from the room above and the plumber was at the room door as soon as I had put the phone down! Great service!

We had 2 TA dinners and have made some good friends - hopefully we'll all keep in touch - emails are already whizzing amongst us.

The only a la carte restaurant we didn't try was the kebab - it closed for the low season the day I tried to book. That wasn't a great problem, we went to the buffet instead. I wasn't disappointed with any meal. The quality of food was excellent.

Staff in the resort were so nice and friendly from the lady on toilet cleaning duty to the security men on the seafront. I have to mention the toilets though. I have never been in a hotel (in UK or abroad) where the standard of cleanliness was so high! It seemed that there were toilet fairies who cleaned up almost constantly! I also take my hat of to the young lady who was cleaning the marble walkways after midnight one night (the only night we were up late).

The beach is beautiful with an abundance of loungers and trees or umbrellas for shade. The pool has lots of loungers but not much shade. As anywhere else, there are inconsiderate guests who insist on 'booking' loungers in the shade either late at night or VERY early in the morning and leaving them empty for most of the day - wish I'd had the gumption to take the towels off!!

We had a morning of exceptionally heavy rain and quite a bit of the hotel was under water. The beach was left with deep craturs where the rain had washed the sand into the sea. However, the staff worked tirelessly to keep the hotel dry. Rain went off around lunchtime and normal service was restored.

We would happily go back to the Brisas

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
24 Thank Hamish01

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,133)
  • Polish first
quebec
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

Brisas april 6-14. overall good hotel. Family of five. before leaving on our trip asked for adjoining rooms on a higher floor.Arrived and were given two seperate rooms on the main floor with a leaky ceiling in the bathroom in one of them.
However by 14:00 the next day we were moved to the 3 rd floor with connecting rooms. All done with no problem at the front desk villa section. We were really happy about this :) Rooms ok for the purpose. We found that we had to be at the beach before 8:00 to find some places in the shade because the chairs (loungers) were often reserved ! For the respect of the cuban people
please pick up after yourselves. Cigarette butts on the beach. Kids do not like playing with them! I smoke and a simple 30 second walk to the garbage makes a difference. I saw a dirty diaper and plates of food left beside the hotel pool ! Have some class, You represent your country!
The food for me was ok, like they say...it's Cuba. we had some heavy rain which changed the beautiful blue ocean water brown for a few days.Pool to the rescue. Hot by the pool, lots of loungers but again chairs were reserved in the best (shady) places with nobody on them.
The market is fun and not far but try to go before it gets to hot because there is not to much shade. Villa section is quiet, the grounds are well kept, Villa pool was not swimable for at least 2 days.. because of the rain ? lots of restos, Pizza really good. I gave some gloves to the gardeners & they seemed to be quite happy. We asked our maid what she would like the most as for the "gifts",her answer was shoes. Block 1 in the villas,we had one room facing the lobby & the other facing the west. Sunrise and Sunset ! Had to close the patio door at night lobby side because people arrive at all hours of the night. If we were the type to return to the same hotel..... if the price was right. Hope you did not fall asleep reading this

Room Tip: you get what you deserve !!!!!!! Have respect...Get respect :-)
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank jalapenoQuebec
Nova Scotia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

We went to Brisas again on March 30th for two weeks. During the first week our daughter was married on the resort. Lisset Almeida (works in guest services) did a marvelous job planning and hosting a bar crawl around the resort for the wedding party. The resort is making upgrades to the grounds, bars and restaurants. The positive part of this is that it gives you more choices for la cartes and theme bars; however, the villa buffet wasn’t open for lunch or supper. We also attended the returning guests tree planting and luncheon, which was again excellent, making all returning guests feeling welcome and at home. During our stay besides the nightly entertainment on the stage and in the hotel lobby, there was a special concert by the bronze statue of John Lennon, which was all very entertaining. We were also lucky enough to attend the private dinner for the ‘trip advisor’ panel members. The food was amazing and the service was extraordinary, prompting me to leave a 5ccu tip. Unfortunately, when I stood up and turned around, some other guest gathered all the tips up off the table, putting them into a cup not leaving it for the servers it was meant for. Without asking permission from the members who left the tips, I viewed this as very inappropriate, rude and in poor judgment. Overall, our trip was another memorable experience and I will be returning again for my sixth stay.

Room Tip: Gardenview in the hotel is quieter than oceanview.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank impala49
nova scotia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

We stayed in the villa section of the resort, the rooms were very large and quite comfortable. While staying at the villas it seemed that you are totally forgotten about by the hotel staff. The buffet is only open for breakfast, the lobby bar is only open fron 3pm until 10pm, the beach bar and seafood restaurant are open during the day but twice in 2 weeks it was closed for private parties at lunch time ( parties put on by the hotel) so you had to leave the beach and go to the hotel for lunch, these closeurs were not posted in advance.
Overall the food was very good, we tried all of the a la carts, all were good but the cuban was thel one we liked the least.
All activities took place at the hotel and not once during our stay did we see anyone from the entertainment staff come to the villa section to see if anyone would like to take part in any activities, it seemed that if you were in the villas you were there to die.
The pool at the hotel was spotless, not so in the villas, there seemed to be problems with the filtration system and every day there was a layer of scum on the bottom of the pool. The pool deck was only cleaned once in the 2 weeks we were there.
Now about the staff, everyone was fantastic except the ones on the reception desk, at times they would totally ignore you or act as if they couldn't care less about any inquiries you may have, they did not present a good impression. I am referring to the staff at the villas reception.
This was our 1 and only trip to the brisas, in the 10 to 15 years of traveling to cuba this was not the best vacation. We stayed from mar.30 until apr 13.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank johncq
stoke on trent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

We had a great time at the Brisas, myself, my husband and two daughters all loved it. It was so relaxing and friendly. We spent everyday on the beach and always found shade under a tree or parasol if we go up early enough, but you could get sunbeds for most of the day. The pool area was stifling hot as there was no breeze so we stuck with the beach and it was a beautiful beach. The local market was only a short walk away by either the promenade or the main road and well worth visiting, though the costs of items were pretty much the same as on resort.

We had connecting rooms in the hotel which we asked for and they were great, OK so they were tired, but everything worked and had everything we needed, the maid cleaned them daily and left fresh towels and made wonderful towel art. We had views of the beach and the pool and we didn't hear too much noise at night from the 24 hour bar. We preferred the hotel to the Villa as we had our kids with us and it was closer to everything for them, but if we were on our own I would probably have preferred larger rooms that the Villas have.

All the staff were friendly and we never saw a miserable face whilst there. We ate in all the restaurants, and the Italian and the International were our favourite for food but the Seafood had the best atmosphere as the waiters all have mini acts, such as singing, magic, musicians and they put on a few mini shows in between serving food in the evening which I thought was great. We loved the Cuban for breakfast as it was so relaxing sitting overlooking the beach whilst breakfast is served to you, a much nicer experience than the Buffet, but the food was OK in the buffet too and we didn't have a bad meal whilst there.

We went to the disco a couple of times and my eldest daughter went with friends she had made, it was great fun, though my husband and I didn't stay till the end as we were worn out by all the sunbathing and fresh air!!

We met great friends at the TA meal which we went to and I would recommend others do this to meet your fellow TA'ers, as we hopefully will stay in touch.

We renewed our vows whilst there and it was amazing, so much better than I expected (and I expected it to be amazing) and Yoania the wedding co-ordinator was great and so approachable - I felt and was treated like a princess by everyone, staff and fellow guests alike.

We had gorgeous weather for the most part but our last day and half was on/off rain and so much rain on our final day that we were flooded but the maid came to the rescue with towels and soon cleaned it up with buckets and mops.

The rep was also very attentive and kept us up to date with flight times etc.

All in all it was great holiday and would recommend it to anyone of any age as whatever you want, whether it be quiet, relaxing or fun, you will find it. And yes, we would go again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
13 Thank skinny1307
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guardalavaca
1386.7 km away
Royal Palms
#1 of 3 in South Hill
602.3 km away
Barcelo Solymar Arenas Blancas Resort

Been to Brisas Guardalavaca Hotel? Share your experiences!