“Avoid at all cost”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rafael Freyre
Hotel Playa Pesquero Resort, Suite & SPA
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Rafael Freyre
Reviewed 19 January 2018 via mobile

Arrived at location after being delayed by 3 hours. Room was below acceptable standard dated dirty and mouldy and smelling of damp. Food in restaurants cold and inedible unless you queue for cook to order. Poolside area poorly maintained and dirty. Entertainment dreadful . This hotel is not as advertised by Thomas Cook and need to re evaluate this location. This falls well bellow the star rating given. Worst holiday we have ever had. All faults reported were done by 3rd time of asking .

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Gordon S
José Luis P, Sales Executive at Hotel Playa Pesquero Resort, Suite & SPA, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Greetings from Playa Pesquero,

We are sorry to hear you had such experience within our facilities, even when we have a large figure of loyal guests that keep returning to our resort every year. We always intend to please our clients’ needs and as a cooperation we asked to be informed during their stay in the hotel in order to solve any emergent problem. Our rooms are being cleaned everyday by professionals. Our food is varied and diversified for every taste. We count on thematic restaurants precisely to widen the range of products and variety. Our cooks are rating among the best in the country and have got many recognitions for their job. Thanks for sharing your personal opinion, but if you visit us again with another perspective we will prove how familiar and overwhelming we can be with our visitors.

Kind Regards,

Playa Pesquero Management.

Write a ReviewReviews (8,013)

Reviewed 19 January 2018 via mobile

I came here 5 years ago and have vowed to go back again. I finally did on 1st January 2018 after persuading my friend it was great.
Roll forward 5 years and wow what a difference and not for the better. This was such a disappointing holiday. The food was incredibly poor and in many cases questionable about whether it was safe to eat. Left out on display far too long with no temperature control and quite frankly inedible.
The Al a carte restaurants gave some reprieve over the 2 weeks where at least in 3 of them the food was lovely.
The Beer Garden was our salvation as fresh tapas was cooked on demand thank god and the staff there were bloody great.

The rooms were tired and the beds smelled damp and fusty. I removed a pillow case and wished I hadn't as the fifthly pillow underneath was shocking, I did not dare look any further.

Thomas Cook resort reps distinctly underwhelming.

I have reported all of this to Thomas Cook on my return and declined a voucher from them. I do not want compensating I want them to work with the hotel to get it back to the beautiful place I visited 5 years ago.

At this time I would say avoid, it's the Caribbean equivalent to BUTLINS.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
10  Thank Fiona K
José Luis P, Sales Executive at Hotel Playa Pesquero Resort, Suite & SPA, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2018

Greetings from Playa Pesquero,
We would like to apologize if your stay in our hotel was not as satisfactory as you were expecting. We appreciate your review and we really sorry for the inconveniences that you experienced.

We want to share with future clients few different points from your comments. We have more than 1700 clients at our hotel and only some of them reports upset stomach, that usually is caused by our hot weather, different kinds and amount of food, mixing food with alcohol available 24/7.

Besides our chefs personally supervise the food that is presented to our clients and the hotel management checks its quality and temperature every day. Dishes are prepared as per international standards. Also, all sources of food and drinks are monitored properly as well as all the standards of food hygiene practices which include preparation and handling food by the staff.

We appreciate your words about our Beer Garden, but also we have plenty restaurants open for your choice. For example, in our buffets at breakfast we have a nice vary of food on display, but also, you can use our cooking stations, we have 9 at the main buffet and three more at the other one. For eggs we have available 5 stations, 3 cooking plate and two stoves with frying pans and you can add up to 8 different ingredients like chees, ham, bacon, corn, beans, green beans, a mix with carrot, potato, beans. You can find also 3 fruit stations, 2 hot cake stations, one cooking plate for meats like fish, beef, pork, black pudding. Apart for the vegetables and salads on display, we have one station with a chef to prepare a salad as you wish. All of these is just for the breakfast. At lunch we have 2 buffet, one snack bar and three specialized restaurants. At nights, 2 buffet and seven a la carte available, plus 3 more extra charge.

If you choose to return, please, tel us know. We will do our best to provide you with a better service.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 18 January 2018

First and last visit to Cuba , this hotel has seen to that .I have never in my 35 years of travelling the globe heard and seen so many people complaining about a hotel. Rooms were adaquate but smelt musty ,dated.food in buffet areas,consistently cold .My rating for the food — sh***. A lot of people we met had upset stomachs . Pool area was nice except slabs hadn’t been cleaned for months .when it rained the black in the slabs turned to slime would stick to your feet .Very unpleasant. Hotel is too big and not enough staff to satisfy customer demand.staff were fantastic under conditions they were working under.Pool staff only come back if you tip them . My first all inclusive hotel. Not a good experience.hotel is no way 5* .Roy Orbison must have rated this hotel ! . If you care about quality, AVOID.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
18  Thank kevraquet
José Luis P, Sales Executive at Hotel Playa Pesquero Resort, Suite & SPA, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2018

Greetings from Playa Pesquero,

Well it appears that you did not have upset stomach. Our food is fine, we supervise the hygiene every day, every year we have visitors from differents travel agency and check everything around here. It is common to have upset stomach when you combine a foreing country, very different than yours, heat, different kind of food and variety of ingrediants, drinks available 24/7. That is why we pay soo much atention to our hygiene and encourage our clients to go easy on everything.
We clean the pool surroundings regularly, but as you say, it is a big hotel, nevertheless we do not recommend walking with hurries or running when it is raining.

Nevertheless, thank you for visiting us and taking your time to write a review. We will take into account everything said.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 17 January 2018

Let me start by saying that I’ve been writing this review (in my head) since the day I arrived having been an avid TripAdvisor review reader prior to my leaving on our adventure.
The buses were there for pick up immediately upon our arrival at Holguin Airport and we arrived at Playa Pesquero after just over an hour’s drive. I was SO happy pulling up as it has a beautifully inviting lobby. We were checked in and driven to our room in under 15-20 minutes from the time we stepped off to stepping into our room. AWESOME!!
FOOD: If you’re expecting haute cuisine during your vacation to anywhere in Cuba…. Cuba is NOT the place you should go. However, that being said and after reading a TON of reviews and talking to other vacationers of other resorts while we were there, in addition to my own experience obviously, Playa Pesquero is HEAD & TAILS above the rest. The food is plentiful, varied, well cooked, and delicious! We dined at the main buffet mostly but had three different a la carte experiences…and not ONE bad one! Addressing two common complaints (lines and cold food) – there are several stations at every meal at the buffet. Either you can have a station prepare your food hot and fresh (ie: there’s usually a meat station <several varieties chicken, beef, pork, seafood>, made to order omelletes, pasta, stir fries, pancakes), and you wait a few minutes (no more than 7-10) or you can get the same thing from a warming tray (quickly but not AS hot). Take your pick! There’s always fruit, vegetables, wide varieties of pickles, cold cuts, salmon, salads, breads (so good!) and the dessert counter…omgosh! YUM! So, reviews that read “I wouldn’t feed it to my dog”…seriously! (I read that one and was appalled!) No way! And there’s always a plethora of condiments everywhere at all of the many different eateries. Bottled water is plentiful. The staff are exceptional.
The a la cartes are spectacular. However, at your first available opportunity, do book ahead as they do book up quickly. PS: Jesus A., the meal you presented to us on the beach for our BBQ extravaganza was my favourite evening of our vacation. THANK YOU.
ACCOMODATIONS: We were in a pretty basic room (2 double beds) but it was always cleaned, re-made for us very nicely, with fresh towels everyday. No complaints at all.
POOL: Gorgeous, clean, many lounge chairs with a fun swim up bar. Very nice!
ON-SITE SHOPPING: Has many of the necessities, several different shops. Everything you’d probably expect.
BEACH: Very long, sandy beach (connected to the next resort which we walked to). For those that say they’re dirty…blame the people that leave their trash!! Not the hard-working staff that I saw every single day trailing behind them picking up their garbage! I would recommend water shoes if you leave the sandy beach and head into the water, there are some rocky areas.
CONS: My one an only complaint… the terrible cigarette smokey conditions in the entire lobby / theater area. Smokers are EVERYWHERE and while I saw 4 or 5 “no smoking” tables at the coffee bar, they are basically useless when the smokers are walking around everywhere. I would recommend/wish/hope for more dedicated NON-smoking areas. That really dampened my enjoyment level while we were at the lobby bar which is the hub for the theater/entertainment/ and social activities. While it might be considered “open air” there is very little air movement, entirely covered, and hundreds of smokers (especially when it rained!). I might recommend that management consider changing all the hanging light fixtures in the area to ceiling fan style and more dedicated non-smoking / smoking only areas. I would have expected that had there been more cigar smokers, but there was very few of those…it was ALL cigarettes. YUK!!!

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
16  Thank DeannaN29
José Luis P, Sales Executive at Hotel Playa Pesquero Resort, Suite & SPA, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2018

Greetings from Playa Pesquero,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review. We are glad to know that you have had an amazing holiday with us. We work and give everything we've got for customers like you. We love when our clients give us feedback talking about their stay here. We appreciate all your praises given. Every client before traveling must read your review. Thank you for sharing your experience with the world and we will be very happy to have you back to our hotel anytime soon.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 17 January 2018

In no way should this be classed as a 5* hotel maybe 3* with improvements. No one has said a good comment about this hotel and a member of every group has had a upset tummy so most have not been able to leave complex just in case...plop. The food was ok but depending what time you went queues galore and the restaurant pfft after the 2nd one we stopped going as the amount of time you waited to be served and the lack of food we went to buffet after to eat more. Staff were lovely and was the only good thing about this hotel. Gym was awful...Jacuzzi at pool be broken and the ones at the gym 2 broken and 1 with no warm water. Tennis courts ok but 1 was like a death trap...all the equipment is very old. It's meant to be all inclusive but watch out at restaurants as they can charge for wine and every one wants tips...tips tips tips. Thomas cook will be getting a lot of complaints about this hotel

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Martin P

Greetings from Playa Pesquero,

It is bad to know that some memeber of your crew were affected by illness, but many clients get traveler’s diarrhea. Besides, at the hotel our chefs personally supervise the food that is presented to our clients and the hotel management checks its quality and temperature every day. Dishes are prepared as per international standards. Also, all sources of food and drinks are monitored properly as well as all the standards of food hygiene practices which include preparation and handling food by the staff.

Also, we do have plenty of revew saying very good things about our resort and also we have a lot of returning guests every year.

We sincerely hope you give us a new opportunity in order that you can decide to come back to this beautiful resort and enjoy of our services.

Best Regards,

587.7 km away
Iberostar Varadero
Iberostar Varadero
#2 of 64 in Varadero

Been to Hotel Playa Pesquero Resort, Suite & SPA? Share your experiences!