8,501 results
All reviews beer garden mojito bar a la carte restaurants seafood thomas cook lobby bar ice cream parlour the grill great holiday la gondola premium section superior room dolphin trip prawns two weeks island paradise golf buggy
Reviewed 18 January 2018

First and last visit to Cuba , this hotel has seen to that .I have never in my 35 years of travelling the globe heard and seen so many people complaining about a hotel. Rooms were adaquate but smelt musty ,dated.food in buffet areas,consistently cold .My rating for the food — sh***. A lot of people we met had upset stomachs . Pool area was nice except slabs hadn’t been cleaned for months .when it rained the black in the slabs turned to slime would stick to your feet .Very unpleasant. Hotel is too big and not enough staff to satisfy customer demand.staff were fantastic under conditions they were working under.Pool staff only come back if you tip them . My first all inclusive hotel. Not a good experience.hotel is no way 5* .Roy Orbison must have rated this hotel ! . If you care about quality, AVOID.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
18  Thank kevraquet
José Luis P, Sales Executive at Hotel Playa Pesquero Resort, Suite & SPA, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2018

Greetings from Playa Pesquero,

Well it appears that you did not have upset stomach. Our food is fine, we supervise the hygiene every day, every year we have visitors from differents travel agency and check everything around here. It is common to have upset stomach when you combine a foreing country, very different than yours, heat, different kind of food and variety of ingrediants, drinks available 24/7. That is why we pay soo much atention to our hygiene and encourage our clients to go easy on everything.
We clean the pool surroundings regularly, but as you say, it is a big hotel, nevertheless we do not recommend walking with hurries or running when it is raining.

Nevertheless, thank you for visiting us and taking your time to write a review. We will take into account everything said.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 17 January 2018

Let me start by saying that I’ve been writing this review (in my head) since the day I arrived having been an avid TripAdvisor review reader prior to my leaving on our adventure.
The buses were there for pick up immediately upon our arrival at Holguin Airport and we arrived at Playa Pesquero after just over an hour’s drive. I was SO happy pulling up as it has a beautifully inviting lobby. We were checked in and driven to our room in under 15-20 minutes from the time we stepped off to stepping into our room. AWESOME!!
FOOD: If you’re expecting haute cuisine during your vacation to anywhere in Cuba…. Cuba is NOT the place you should go. However, that being said and after reading a TON of reviews and talking to other vacationers of other resorts while we were there, in addition to my own experience obviously, Playa Pesquero is HEAD & TAILS above the rest. The food is plentiful, varied, well cooked, and delicious! We dined at the main buffet mostly but had three different a la carte experiences…and not ONE bad one! Addressing two common complaints (lines and cold food) – there are several stations at every meal at the buffet. Either you can have a station prepare your food hot and fresh (ie: there’s usually a meat station <several varieties chicken, beef, pork, seafood>, made to order omelletes, pasta, stir fries, pancakes), and you wait a few minutes (no more than 7-10) or you can get the same thing from a warming tray (quickly but not AS hot). Take your pick! There’s always fruit, vegetables, wide varieties of pickles, cold cuts, salmon, salads, breads (so good!) and the dessert counter…omgosh! YUM! So, reviews that read “I wouldn’t feed it to my dog”…seriously! (I read that one and was appalled!) No way! And there’s always a plethora of condiments everywhere at all of the many different eateries. Bottled water is plentiful. The staff are exceptional.
The a la cartes are spectacular. However, at your first available opportunity, do book ahead as they do book up quickly. PS: Jesus A., the meal you presented to us on the beach for our BBQ extravaganza was my favourite evening of our vacation. THANK YOU.
ACCOMODATIONS: We were in a pretty basic room (2 double beds) but it was always cleaned, re-made for us very nicely, with fresh towels everyday. No complaints at all.
POOL: Gorgeous, clean, many lounge chairs with a fun swim up bar. Very nice!
ON-SITE SHOPPING: Has many of the necessities, several different shops. Everything you’d probably expect.
BEACH: Very long, sandy beach (connected to the next resort which we walked to). For those that say they’re dirty…blame the people that leave their trash!! Not the hard-working staff that I saw every single day trailing behind them picking up their garbage! I would recommend water shoes if you leave the sandy beach and head into the water, there are some rocky areas.
CONS: My one an only complaint… the terrible cigarette smokey conditions in the entire lobby / theater area. Smokers are EVERYWHERE and while I saw 4 or 5 “no smoking” tables at the coffee bar, they are basically useless when the smokers are walking around everywhere. I would recommend/wish/hope for more dedicated NON-smoking areas. That really dampened my enjoyment level while we were at the lobby bar which is the hub for the theater/entertainment/ and social activities. While it might be considered “open air” there is very little air movement, entirely covered, and hundreds of smokers (especially when it rained!). I might recommend that management consider changing all the hanging light fixtures in the area to ceiling fan style and more dedicated non-smoking / smoking only areas. I would have expected that had there been more cigar smokers, but there was very few of those…it was ALL cigarettes. YUK!!!

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
16  Thank Deanna N
José Luis P, Sales Executive at Hotel Playa Pesquero Resort, Suite & SPA, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2018

Greetings from Playa Pesquero,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review. We are glad to know that you have had an amazing holiday with us. We work and give everything we've got for customers like you. We love when our clients give us feedback talking about their stay here. We appreciate all your praises given. Every client before traveling must read your review. Thank you for sharing your experience with the world and we will be very happy to have you back to our hotel anytime soon.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 17 January 2018

In no way should this be classed as a 5* hotel maybe 3* with improvements. No one has said a good comment about this hotel and a member of every group has had a upset tummy so most have not been able to leave complex just in case...plop. The food was ok but depending what time you went queues galore and the restaurant pfft after the 2nd one we stopped going as the amount of time you waited to be served and the lack of food we went to buffet after to eat more. Staff were lovely and was the only good thing about this hotel. Gym was awful...Jacuzzi at pool be broken and the ones at the gym 2 broken and 1 with no warm water. Tennis courts ok but 1 was like a death trap...all the equipment is very old. It's meant to be all inclusive but watch out at restaurants as they can charge for wine and every one wants tips...tips tips tips. Thomas cook will be getting a lot of complaints about this hotel

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Martin P

Greetings from Playa Pesquero,

It is bad to know that some memeber of your crew were affected by illness, but many clients get traveler’s diarrhea. Besides, at the hotel our chefs personally supervise the food that is presented to our clients and the hotel management checks its quality and temperature every day. Dishes are prepared as per international standards. Also, all sources of food and drinks are monitored properly as well as all the standards of food hygiene practices which include preparation and handling food by the staff.

Also, we do have plenty of revew saying very good things about our resort and also we have a lot of returning guests every year.

We sincerely hope you give us a new opportunity in order that you can decide to come back to this beautiful resort and enjoy of our services.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 16 January 2018 via mobile

Well, what can I say, my family have been many times, and 3 times in past 6 months.

Mixed feelings this time:

The great factors:
•beautiful beach, white powder sand.
• really long, interconnecting stream-style swimming pool.Clean and not too busy
• free catamaran and kayaks and pedaloes, but have to book early-ish on the day at the towel hut at entrance to the beach. Yumi at the towel hut very hardworking and friendly.
• Seven al la carte restaraunts, all serve lobster,   enjoyed all but trattoria,found it really slow and the food not amazing. But, Romantico has a great atmosphere. Italiano has the most amazing food and piano player.
• main buffet restaraunt for breakfast has two lovely ladies who go extra mile doing teddy bear pancakes,or mickey mouse,or butterfly pancakes that children love.The selection for breakfast is very varied.
• The beer garden tapas, criollo's chicken and the beaches' pizzas a must at lunch.
• maids keep rooms very clean and towels restocked.
•Air con is quiet and a god-send on those humid nights!Best air- con I've had abroad.
• Everything you could want in way of alcoholic drinks, and coffees/hot drinks/ soft drinks. Cocktails and liqueur coffees a speciality ( the orange liqueur in hot chocolate a must-try)
• kids club amazing,Disney show they put on, wow they really work hard on and no expense spared! Jeanette very hard-working and trustworthy with your children. Mini disco great,something different every time.The carriage family trip to Melia a really good experience and very cheap.
• All of Cuba very safe,went out every couple of days to city and villages,no problems at all.

A few cons are making me re-think returning.

• service at breakfast slow, not enough cups and plates out, knives and forks on tables are not put out again for the next guest when the last finish. Coffee not refilled when asked for up to 20 minutes at times.
• Service at Criollo chicken restaraunt for lunch I think is kept slow on purpose to stop too many coming to dine there, leaves you in a queue waiting to eat there for at 5-15 minutes. Need more room/staff there I think.
• some of the smaller restaurants don't have enough highchairs.
• Not always enough in mini-bar despite repeatedly telling them, if we have four in our room,we need more than two cans of cola!

• But mainly,would say this hotel is not suited to families as only as small section is designated to none smoking (about 10% of main socialising area,where the shows are and bar and coffee area are) And these are just tiny little signs on some of the around 15 tables in that area, that people proceed to ignore or cover, and it is not enforced at all. While it is understandable that some will want to try the cigars, it is more important they make a safe area for the children to sit. As,with all the cigars in the place,it means your children are left struggling to breathe and coughing all night even after 30 mins in lobby and you go home with all your clothes smelling terribly of smoke.Especially on wet day, everyone's in the lobby and it's unbearable.On our last wet day, we ended up without any drinks for most of the day as the only place we could get them from was bars, that had become unbearable to enter with all the smoke. On another occasion,we had to move three times in one evening as people were smoking in so-called none smoking area. Mentioned it to reception but they didn't seem interested. Even my husband was struggling with the smoke fumes at the end of the holiday. And another guest had serious asthma attack. Feel they'll end up with a lawsuit on their hands soon if someone has serious episode for their lack of providing safe area

Summarising,I enjoyed my holiday, apart from fact my luggage needs fumigating!And I would love to return, if they made and enforced a proper none smoking area,for sake of visiting children's health.Wouldn't even need to be very big,even just quarter of lobby would suffice.Otherwise I would advise against any with asthma or children staying here,as could be quite hazardous to them like it has been to my children.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
8  Thank kayluke
José Luis P, Sales Executive at Hotel Playa Pesquero Resort, Suite & SPA, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2018

Greetings from Playa Pesquero,

We would like to apologize if your stay in our hotel was not as satisfactory as you were expecting. We appreciate your review and we really sorry for the inconveniences that you experienced. We will analize your remarks with our staff and we will take the necessary steps to eliminate this problem. Thank you for your nice words regarding our beach, pool and some of our restaurants. It is nice that despite the let down, you've had overall a good experience. Please give us another opportunity to provide to you a better service.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 15 January 2018 via mobile

Hi.
This was a cheeky week in the sun for us and alas it wasn't as great as we hoped.
Although the hotel is lush and the beach is good when it's hot the pool is fab.
A guy wipes your deckchair down and gets it ready for you. There's everything you'd expect from a 3 star break with a great pub style bar and some stunning scenery.
It's a hotel that could be better in my humble opinion. Warmer food being my main complaint. The food was also made and kept warm for too long. (I'm a chef alas) which results in a dryness. Smaller batches made more often would cure that. I don't do salad but it looked nice.
Burgers in the grill were good although they'd sometimes have no buns not a biggy.
Liked the coffee bar layout had a few lukewarm coffees tho, again easy to sort out without drama.
The staff are great they speak better English than me I still treated them to my pigeon Spanish tho. The room was clean and everything worked proper.
When we looked on YouTube I thought we were in for miles of walking as it looks huge. It's a big place but walking in the warmth felt like it was not so massive 5 mins to the beach from the lobby with a fresh coconut drink, it's a tough life...
Been a few carribean islands all slightly different to the others. Cuba is the same a very different experience but in a good way.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank corant107

Greetings from Playa Pesquero,

We would like to thank you for your review. We are happy to know that you’ve had a very nice stay with us at Playa Pesquero. We apologize for those small inconveniences you've encountered regarding food and thank you for the suggestions, specially comming from somenone with experience in the food. Thank you for sharing with the world and we will be very pleased when you return once again.

Kind Regards,