“Consistently very good”

The Highwayman
Ranked #10 of 78 Restaurants in Berkhamsted
Price range: USD 13 - USD 40
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Located in an old Georgian building this brasserie boasts a wonderful interior with several levels providing different dining environments overlooking an open, mezzanine kitchen. On arrival you will be greeted by our friendly, knowledgeable team and the lively ambience is complemented by a menu inspired by the simple, hearty dishes of M. Blanc's childhood. Alongside an appetising a la carte menu and carefully selected wine list we offer an excellent value set menu and on Sundays we serve a classic roast with all the trimmings. Younger diners can choose from a special children's menu or order a half sized portion of many of the a la carte dishes on offer.For summer dining our secluded terrace is the ideal escape.
Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

We are regulars here and love the food, atmosphere and service. Although this is part of a chain you would never guess this unless you knew. The staff are professional and the barman, Graham, is a real expert inn huis role. This visit was on a Sunday afternoon, after the luncheon rush and before the evening session. Baguette with olive oil and balsamic dip, French Onion soup and then my all time favourite, steak frites. The steak came rare, as I ordered, Dijon mustard was not a problem and the fries were just perfect. The wine list is eclectic but reasonably priced. The Brasserie Blanc ancestry lingers on with a distinctly French feel, for me. On my previous visit my grandson and I share a serving of escargot; I ate the snails and he dipped his bread in the garlic butter sauce.

HighwaymanBerko, Manager at The Highwayman, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2017

Hi there,

Apologies for the lateness of my reply, I just wanted to say thanks for your kind comments.
Graham also passes on his regards, he is certainly an asset to our bar team!
It's great to hear that you and your family enjoy your time here, and we look forward to having you back.
Best regards,

Reviewed 12 September 2017 via mobile

I've been to The Highwayman quite a bit since it was changed to the name Highwayman. I had friends visiting from Canada and first took them here for lunch/early dinner on a Saturday. The staff are lovely to talk to.

My friend always asks about Ale's and the waitress was very helpful and offered tasters. We had cheese soufflé, which is out-of-this-world. My friend also ordered a steak and said it was the best steak she has ever had. They were staying for a week and asked if we could return, just so that she could have the steak again. I booked for the following Friday evening and we had the same experience, only a little bit more noisy - which can't be helped. The food is a little on the pricey side, but worth every penny.

I had a cocktail called French 57 which was amazing. My friends from Canada said they have discovered a new cocktail and we went out the next day to buy champagne and gin to create it ourselves - we were close but one must be drunk at your visit to The Highwayman.

Hi Joanna,

Thank you for your fantastic review. Apologies for the lateness of my reply, but I just wanted to let you know that your comments are very much appreciated, and genuinely make our hard-work feel worthwhile.

The cheese soufflé is a personal favourite of mine too!

We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 11 September 2017 via mobile

Met with friends for lunch and liked the look of special lunch deal . Very pleasantly surprised by the presentation and wonderful tastes - being it was so cheap!! Lovely atmosphere sitting in the window of the bar watching the world go by!
Fabulous friendly service! Definitely recommend.❤️️

Hi Melanie,

Although I'm slightly late in replying, I just wanted to say thanks for your lovely comments. We always appreciate feedback from our guests, and I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your visit.

Reviewed 10 September 2017

My husband and I just love this place. The food is always great, the service and the atmosphere are both excellent in equal measure. We take all our friends to this place and really can't praise it enough. Well done to the whole team you all work so very hard and really get it right.

Hi Kiran,

Apologies for the lateness of my reply. I just wanted to say thank you for such a lovely review.

It's truly fantastic to hear that our hard work is so appreciated.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

Delightful gastro pub in berkhamsted worth a visit. Spent enjoyable evening here on 2nd September with friends having dinner. Staff very friendly and obliging . Highly recommend the chips - really crunchy! The only disappointment was the bouillabaisse which was a bit too fishy tasting. Bouillabaisse should be fishy obviously but this was just a bit too strong. Incidentally the pavlova was delicious

Hi Sue,

Firstly, apologies for the lateness of my reply, but I just wanted to thank you for your lovely review.

Although the bouillabaisse was usually a very well received dish, we have actually changed our fish dishes now for our A La Carte menu, and you're more than welcome back to give them a try!

Assistant Manager