“A wee bit of luxury!”

Rowan Tree Country Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Alvie B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 March 2013

Another wonderful stay at this family run hotel. As usual the accommodation was faultless and the food First Class. Log fires, lovely we bar with a huge selection of drinks (especially nice malts), and a really great restaurant with the most amazing food and presentation. Lots of local produce, lamb, venison, scallops, pork etc. so so good!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 March 2013

We had The Rowan Tree recommended to us by the daughter of a friend, for a family 21st celebration. Throughout the booking and organisation process the owner, Monique, could not have been more helpful and obliging.

However our experience of the actual hotel was a shocking contrast, so much so that we were actually embarrassed to have invited our extended family- 18 of us- to dine with us. Staff were down right rude, especially the woman who appeared to be in charge. On arrival we were told there were no baby changing facilities and we could change our 6 month old on the toilet floor or in the middle of the busy conservatory. We then were asked 'What do u want to drink?' as we stood with our jackets on and were told we couldn't hang them up until we went through to the dining room. No pleasantries or manners were exhibited by a blonde waitress and the manner in which she spoke to the younger members of our party in particular left a lot to be desired.

During the meal the woman in charge argued with us over what we had ordered, refusing to get us more drinks because they were 'serving food right now' and very much had the like it or lump It attitude one might expect at a fast food restaurant. We had preordered our meals, being such a large party, and one person ended up with the wrong desert but was told briskly that there was no way this could be changed as that was what had been made. Then 5 minutes later she was begrudgingly offered the desert she had wanted in the first place but told she would have to wait for it because they were very busy.

To top off the evening we were told loudly that they hadn't been informed that we would want tea or coffee after our meal so if we wanted this we would have to wait a while, despite the fact we had brought in a birthday cake and went over this with the owner in the afternoon. Then the Birthday cake was taken through but instead of setting it down where we were all gathered singing she told the birthday boy he would have to move because the sparkler on the cake might damage the table he was sitting at which was 'very expensive.'
Overall we were made to feel extremely unwelcome and as though we were a major inconvenience to the staff throughout every stage of our evening. It was such a shame because we all agreed that the food was excellent but the flavour was tainted to an unshalvagable degree by the attitudes of the senior staff.
A very bitter disappointment.

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank CLaw85
Steven J, Owner at Rowan Tree Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2013

Thank you for taking you time to post a review on Trip Advisor.
I’m very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience here at The Rowan Tree.
We have been here for over 9 years and have many positive reviews and some negative which we all read in order to try and improve the service we give.
It is the first time I have ever felt the need to respond to a criticism on Trip Advisor due to the many inaccuracies that you stated.
I feel it is only polite to send this to you prior to me posting it on Trip Advisor for all to see. At least this will give you a chance to respond if you feel it necessary.

1. Your meal was booked for 6.30 pm on a busy Saturday evening. At 4 pm on that day you arrived to dress the tables which we had placed in groups of 6 in our private dining area. When you first walked in you stated that is was lovely but within 5 minutes you were concerned with regards to the table plan as you stated “family politics' were an issue and some would not like to be seated next to certain people. For this reason we had to change the main dining area and re-arrange all the tables to fit your party in our main room. If you had discussed this earlier this would not have been a problem. I think you left that afternoon with a certain attitude and you were then determined that nothing was going to be right.
2. Baby Changing Facilities – The lady with the baby was informed that there was no baby changing facilities, unfortunately we have not replaced this since we refurbished the ladies wash room. This is a valid point which we will take on board and purchase one in the near future. However, the lady was given the option of using one of the unoccupied bedrooms on the first floor which she declined. I’m sorry she never mentioned this point to you.
3. “What do u want to drink?” I don’t know any members of staff that works here that speaks with such attitude, I’m sure that they asked you individually “what would you like to drink?” but definitely not with the attitude as you state. You can look at all reviews on Trip Advisor or Booking.com and one thing that shines out is how friendly and helpful the staff are.
4. The comment regarding to hanging up your coat – I don’t think I can be bothered to reply because this is just ridiculous – we did not keep you hostage in the lounge you were told and could see where the coat hanging facilities were. Sometimes you have to use your own initiative and do things for your self – it was a cold night some of you had coats on when you arrived – coat hanging when there is a party of 18 would be a service I would expect from a 5 star luxury hotel not a 3 star Inn! Nobody told you to stay in the lounge you were free to roam where ever you wanted to.
5. “ More Drink” – When the waiting staff are bringing out meals I would expect them to finish serving before arranging more drinks .A lot of preparation is made in our kitchens to ensure our customers receive a good hot meal and this is the way we intend to keep it.
6. Pre- ordering meals – yes thank you for that it is always helpful and makes the food service easier – but only when you get your order right, which unfortunately you did not! You managed to get your own starter order wrong as you wanted the mushrooms – in the end due to us only cooking this menu for you we had served them up to your party and you ended up having to have soup. Then again with the dessert you got the order wrong – yes you were told that you would have to wait a few minutes as we were in the middle of preparing another tables desserts order – I think you forget that as much as we appreciate you dining with us you were not the only ones!
7. Birthday Cake – I was so please Sheena asked you to move the cake to the Marble table – you stated sparklers in Trip Advisor – it definitely was not a sparkler in that cake it was a fountain candle like a firework – the wooden games table is very expensive and any little bit of heat marks it as you can see with the odd coffee marks/spills - I ‘m not sure why this would upset the birthday boy.
8. You were on a £20.00 per head set menu – coffee and tea were not included in this nor was it ever mentioned in correspondence with you over the weeks. You stated that you had discussed this we me, but I know that is not true – the only thing that I did was to show you the cake in the afternoon and you informed me that you would like it bringing out to your son after the meal – no mention of coffee/tea – again I’m not sure why you would be upset if someone asks you and your guests if you would like to take tea/ coffee in the lounge with your cake.
9. A very bitter disappointment – do you know that is exactly how I feel about your review – the main reason being it was me the owner of the business who gave you the bill and asked you directly if everything had been alright for you ? – your answer was yes – no mention of any problems. If you were so unhappy why could you not have spoken to me directly or even telephoned me . We put in a lot of effort to help people celebrate special occasions and feel a bit unfairly treated that you have put this out on Trip Advisor without speaking to me first. If people have negative comments to make I would not try to stifle these as long as they were accurate but in this case I feel all was not as it seems and felt I should also put pen to paper.
Monique Joy
Proprietor

Reviewed 25 February 2013

I visited Rowan Tree with a group of friends for a catch up as we hadn't seen each other for a while. Prior to dinner we had a drink in a very comfortable sitting room, which is what really sets this restaurant apart.

The selection of food is amazing, local sourced and inspired, good portion sizes too, which is refreshing. The whisky selection in the bar is great.

Made to feel really welcome by the hosts.

Somewhere for a special occasion or to spoil yourself.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 February 2013

My wife, 12 year old son and I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights as part of our touring holiday and as a base to explore the Aviemore area. Rowan Tree house is a lovely, small hotel in a wonderful scenic setting being only a short drive into town. We received a very friendly welcome on our arrival and the hotel, with its open fires, cosy lounge and use of ‘wet room’, was perfectly suited for dealing with the after effects of some long, cold and rather snowy walks. For our expeditions we made use of the packed lunch service and these were perfect for our needs and very reasonable (the flask of hot chocolate was particularly appreciated).

We ate out for our 1st night but tried the hotel restaurant for the 2nd evening and enjoyed an excellent meal. There was a great, welcoming atmosphere pre-dinner in the bar, it seemed to be a popular spot and the menu included good quality, local produce. The next night our plans for venturing further soon evaporated and we ate in the hotel again and the draw of the single malts as a nightcap was too good to miss.

Breakfasts were very good quality (try the kippers if you get a chance) and perfect for setting up the day.

We would highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Robesi
Reviewed 19 February 2013

......recommending this hotel to others. Its food is first class, the rooms and service are excellent and the general ambience magical. I particularly suggest spending as many as evenings as possible beside the magnificent log fire in the lounge. The Rowan Tree would be superb at any price, but at the £85 we paid per night for a double room, it was unbeatable.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alvie
3.6 km away
13.7 km away
Carrmoor Guest House
Carrmoor Guest House
#1 of 8 in Carrbridge

Been to Rowan Tree Country Hotel? Share your experiences!