USD 127
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Lush Atitlan(San Marcos La Laguna)
USD 73
  • Restaurant
Hotel IslaVerde(Santa Cruz La Laguna)(Great Value!)
USD 68
  • Restaurant
Hotel el Arca de Noe(Santa Cruz La Laguna)(Great Value!)
USD 24
USD 90
Hotels.com
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
All reviewssan marcostuk tuklake atitlanwater taxii've spentblue heronstunning locationmy favorite placecouple of nightsthe ownerfionadockparadisesunriseboatdormviews
Reviewed 4 April 2018

Pros:
• The property is gorgeous and casually comfortable.
• Our accommodation (Casa Sueña) was lovely. Right on the lake on two floors, the bedroom upstairs has large French doors that open to a balcony and the lake beyond. The bathroom is downstairs making late night visits a bit of a trek, but the view more than makes up for the effort.
• The lake is pristine at the property and the dock makes swimming and sunning a delight.
• The food at the restaurant is top notch. Breakfast is hearty and there are many choices. And at lunch and dinner even simple dishes like a chicken stir fry have great flavor. Compliments to the cook!
• Being on the water taxi route makes coming and going a breeze.
• We took the steep walk up to the road one evening and walked into San Marcos for a lovely evening and dinner...decided to tuk-tuk back since that was the uphill direction.
• Staff members Mona and Kim were delightful. Their service is what one would expect at this sort of place: casual and cool and very friendly and helpful. They were engaging, polite, inquisitive and fun! They both went out of their way to be accomodating and kind.

Cons:
• The restaurant/bar is open to the public and on one day a large group of adults and children took over the pier much of the day making it awkward not just to swim but also to get on and off the water taxis. We had been planning to spend some time relaxing there that day, but the public group was loud and large with children running about so we lost the ability to enjoy a prime amenity of the place. No biggie, this sort of thing happens when a place is open to the public, just something to be aware of.
• After initially interacting with Mona and Kim for meals we then had the misfortune of spending the latter part of our stay with Stephanie on duty. At the initiation of every interaction with her both my wife and I felt like our presence was an imposition and annoyance. She was curt to the point of rudeness…my wife and I kept asking each other if we had somehow offended her or done something to make her hate us.
Example 1: Poked my head in kitchen because another staff member (Mona) had gone off duty and she had kindly been keeping a bottle of wine that we had with lunch in the kitchen freezer. Stephanie aggressively snapped at me to stay out of the kitchen although I wasn’t in it - I was just trying to find someone to help me - then slammed the door to the bar closed as I walked away.
Example 2: At dinner our second night we decided to stay in. We ordered a bottle of white wine and unfortunately there was none cold. No worries - when that happened the day before Mona had poured us a little, given us a glass of ice, and volunteered to keep it in the freezer – really took care of us. By contrast, when we asked Stephanie if she could keep it in the freezer as Mona had done she curtly replied, ‘No there is no room – it’s full of important stuff’ and turned and walked away.
Example 3: Last order for breakfast at the property is listed as 10:30. When Kim was on duty when we went to breakfast around 10:15 she chatted with us, brought us tea and our food and even investigated openings at the property as we were thinking of staying or coming back. Then a couple strolled in at 10:40 and picked up the breakfast menu Kim happily took their order and chatted with them. My wife and I commented to each other that it was good to know that 10:30 wasn’t a hard and fast rule, as we tend to eat late. In contrast, on our last day we arrived for breakfast again at 10:15 – this time Stephanie was on duty. She sighed heavily when I picked up a breakfast menu, rolled her eyes and said, ‘you want breakfast NOW!?’ Breakfast took 35 minutes and it was 45 minutes before we got our breakfast tea. In that time people that she knew showed up and she and they had fun hanging out and playing with a dog - while we sat there wondering if we’d ever get our food or tea – to me it felt like we were being punished for inconveniencing her.
Example 4: At the end of our breakfast debacle, it being our last day, Stephanie asked when we would leave. I said with a smile, ‘we’ll check out by noon, don’t worry’ and she snapped ‘Check out time is 11:30! We have to have the house cleaned for the next guest!’ Well it was after 11 at this point because of the slow breakfast service so it seemed like a rather passive aggressive question with a very aggressive response to our answer. Never mind that we have a print out of our reservation that clearly states check-out time is noon. It was clear to us that Stephanie wanted us gone and at that point we couldn’t wait to get out of there and away from all the negative energy.

We had planned our time at Maya Moon for relaxation in this place of peace and healing and instead it was very stressful.

At the end of the day front-line service makes or breaks an experience and I have to say that as I type this review the service experience we had at Maya Moon leaves me cold to the place. As I say, we had considered continuing to stay there after a day or two in San Pedro but changed our minds. Too much angry negative energy.

I have taken the time to be very specific in this review not to blame and shame, but in the hope that upon reading this review the owners will train up ALL the staff in the simple art of being nice to paying customers so we don’t end up feeling like crap for having stayed at their truly lovely property - and that each staff member will reflect on how we perceived each of them - positively as well as negatively - and take to heart that being nice, positive and kind is not just simple and appreciated, it’s their job. Unless and until that happens, I recommend staying elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 March 2018

I stayed here for a short weekend in November and wished I could have stayed a few months! Unpack your backs, put your feet up, and enjoy the breathtaking views of the volcanoes across the lake. The staff showed us some nearby hikes around the lake to check out the area and some different viewpoints. The best part? Coming back from some high-altitude hiking to amazing food and a cold beer. The staff was super attentive and the location was amazing.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
Maya L, Owner at Maya Moon Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2018

Thank you Molly. It was a pleasure to have you here, we hope to see you again. Best wishes Fiona and Chris

Reviewed 27 January 2018

The food here is amazing. A small menu, but everything is great! Try the veggie burger. The salad which comes with your meal could be a meal all on it's own. The Kombucha is fantastic, and don't leave without taking one of those chocolate chip cookies with you. I spent a few relaxing afternoons sitting on the deck reading, eating, recharging my phone, and catching up on e-mail. I am definitely going to be back!

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 January 2018

We originally booked a room at Maya Moon Lodge for a couple of nights but after one night we asked if we could move into the self contained house. We stayed for a week and just loved it. Our little house had a kitchen and bathroom down stairs and a very comfortable king bedroom upstairs. Waking up to dawn sunrises was magic. We enjoyed the hammock, the restaurant and the girls. Only overlapped with the owners Fiona and Chris for a day or two but really enjoyed our time with them. We also blessed with an amazing sunset on the second night accompanied by the volcano across the lake erupting.

Room Tip: Casa Suena is a great little house if you prefer to have a bit more room and do some self catering.
Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 7 January 2018

We had a great time at this quiet place. The accomodation is very good and the food they serve is fantistic with varying dinner menu's every day. We even rescheduled our itinerary in Guatemala so we could visit the place again at the end of our holiday.
Many thanks to the owners and the staff.

Room Tip: We slept in several rooms and dorms. It was all perfect.
Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple