“Potentially Great Takeaway spoiled by way to much salt”
Review of The Goa

The Goa
Reviewed 15 October 2017

We have enjoyed the goa since it opened. The staff are friendly, delivery is prompt, the cooking was great and we always looked forward to our Saturday night takeaway, but about 2 months ago the salt levels increased and now they are over powering. Having spoke to the manager about the salt levels nothing has changed, what ashame as this is spoiling what was one of the best Indian restaurants in Teesside. We will not be returning.

1  Thank F9446EHdavidb

Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

One of our friends booked here and I haven't eaten here before so was looking forward to it. Had the usual poppadoms and pickle tray. Then we ordered starters, mains, rice and naan breads. They brought out most of our starters but not all at once and when the last one came out the majority of us had nearly finished ours. Then out came the mains and the same person who had to wait for his starter had to ask where his meal was. They had missed it off. So we had to start otherwise our meals would be cold. It eventually came and we had to keep asking for the two naan breads that were missing. They came when the mains were nearly finished. Not impressed with the service, which is a shame as the food was nice. Might try the restaurant again and hope it was just a one off. We'll wait and see.

1  Thank Carol G
Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

I have had 2 takeaways from the Goa, one collected - which was ready on arrival, and one via just eat - which was delivered exactly when requested. The food itself has been fantastic both times. I really couldn't fault the quality of the curries. The sides and rices were equally as good. Most recently I decided to eat in the restaurant itself. The venue is nice enough, with plenty of parking. The staff are very friendly, although they did seem a little understaffed in the restaurant, I think due to the the demand of takeaway orders. Because of that, there was a bit of wait for service and that's the only reason I can't give 5 stars! But as far as takeaway/delivery curries go, I highly recommend the Goa!

Reviewed 9 September 2017 via mobile

This arrived well within the time they quoted over the phone. They also accept card payments over the phone which is very convenient.

Generally speaking, very acceptable. Their menu is comprehensive, and their food was well cooked.

2  Thank Alastair C
Reviewed 8 September 2017 via mobile

My order was delivered on time which was good but then when I opened the bag everything started to go bad.

Firstly they hadn't even got my order right. There was this stodgy mix of potato and peas instead of rice. I tried a forkfull and found it to taste very strongly of something artificial and unpleasant, almost as if something hadn't been rinsed properly after it had been washed. No more was eaten and it went in the bin !!!

The Shapla Special at £7.25 was described as a mixture of chicken tikka, lamb tikka, prawn and mushroom cooked with garlic, ginger, tomatoes and onions in a thick sauce. What I received was a foul fishy smelling container of gruel in grey water and not the advertised thick sauce. There were a few prawns (which I didn't eat) in it which was the only protein I could identify, the rest being lumps of unknown meat that tasted of soap. Again I think something hadn't been rinsed correctly. There were also some pieces of leather pretending to be mushrooms but little else in way of vegetation. The whole dish tasted tangy and weird, almost fermented and after three pieces of mystery meat £7.25 went into the bin !!!

The chappati was so tough eating it was impossible so in the bin it went !!!

The poppadom, that presumably was complimentary, was so soft it bent rather than snapping so was not eaten and went into the bin !!!

Ironically the only thing that was edible was something I didn't order. Some battered chicken strips that although they were cold did actually taste of chicken and not detergent so went into my stomach instead of the bin.

To sum up my takeaway experience of The Goa I can only say it was not pleasant, poorly executed, misleading and never took be repeated. My advice would be to get a takeaway from other establishments and stay clear of this place as it really isn't nice.

2  Thank ANNE080844