Hotel Hetan Majatalo(Enontekio)(Great Value!)
USD 119
USD 84
  • Breakfast included
Lapland Hotels Hetta(Enontekio)(Great Value!)
USD 104
Lannavaara Lodge(Lannavaara)
USD 126
USD 197
USD 110
  • Beachfront
Lapland Hotel Pallas(Muonio)(Great Value!)
USD 98
Hotel Jussantupa(Enontekio)
TripAdvisor
All reviewstravel kettlesanta safarigreat funreindeer campnorthern lightsthermal suits and bootsthe main hotelfrozen riveracross the bridgepetrol stationhusky ridetransun repsarctic circleice hotelfantastic holidayicing on the cakeonce in a lifetime
Reviewed 11 April 2018 via mobile

We enjoyed a fantastic time at the Davvi in the final week of their five month season (mid March). There were around 80 guests (compared with 180 during Christmas peak) and many more mature folk, but it was a very friendly and sociable atmosphere. All guests were from the UK (ours were all on a shared flight from Manchester and Newcastle).
Temperatures ranged from -27 up to 0 Celsius, but very warm outer snowsuits and boots were provided. As guests became accustomed to the cold these tended only to be used for activities rather than general wear (at times it looked like a cult had overtaken the village!). One tip is not to take too many layers or spend lots on expensive coats and shoes as they won’t be needed - just bring a few base layers (Aldi ones are great), a few jumpers, a couple of thick socks to go over normal socks, some mittens, a hat and a balaclava.

From initial booking to return trip, the Anglo-Finnish contingent of staff were the best we’ve come across - charming and attentive without being overbearing and responsive to all manner of weird enquiries and requests, with a smile on their faces. They genuinely seemed to be enjoying their time here as much as the guests!

We booked early (and full price) for the double-bed Aurora de Lux (Aurora 4) which, as promised, included a small sauna, wet room with decent shower and bath and underfloor heating. Firm King size bed and plenty of storage for clothes, etc. The room was in a block of four sharing an entrance lobby/boot storage area with one other room. There’s quite a range of rooms overall, and although the rooms in the main hotel building are smaller, more basic and rather dated, that’s reflected in the price (others have commented on these rooms). Most importantly they are all warm and have a view out to the snow!

The food is plentiful, and it’s impossible to go hungry with food served 8-10, 12-2 and 6-8. It’s not haute cuisine, but it reflects local supplies and the British palette. Vegetarians are also catered for, but would advise checking for vegans or those with allergies, although we’re sure they’d cater for this too.

The inclusive experiences were all really well organised and delivered what they promised. Most trips were in mini-bus and no more than 45 mins away. Despite the iciest roads ever, all vehicles have the appropriate tyres and studs, so very safe!

Husky sledging - this is probably the most risky activity as two more mature guests came a cropper with bad injuries. This was the only experience that felt slightly rushed, due to the itinerary for other guests.

Reindeers - these were great and the experience included a drink and sausage inside a traditional Sammi tent. We were also able to feed some of the younger reindeer.

Snowmobile - great fun and a little hairy in the dark as we drove through the deer reserve and along the frozen river. This was the only time that a balaclava and extra layers were essential, but it was -25 +chill factor.

Other inclusive activities included a snowshoe walk, visit to the Sammi museum and nature reserve and a visit to the local museum in the village (a late replacement for the knife factory) where drinks and cakes were put on for us as welcome guests. The only ‘extra’ trip we booked was to the famous Ice Hotel, which was a two hour drive away in Sweden, but well worth it (we had a guided tour but were also able to roam around freely seeing almost all of the designer rooms which staying guests would have to fork out £1000+ for. We’re now thinking of entering next year’s competition to design a room, but may need to refine our ice sculpting skills!

We had one activity each day (it varied for others) - other things to do included sledging (€5 each to hire), a 5 minute walk down to the local store/petrol station (which sells thermal gear, beer and chocolate as well as other stuff), and a 15-20 walk over the border into the other half of the village (in Sweden!). The hotel dining area has a small coffee lounge and there’s a separate lounge area (not very stylish), and there’s a bar (€7 pint of lager, €25 for a bottle of wine). We’d recommend buying your favourite tipple at your departing airport. But if you like to balance activities with socialising and resting with a good book, then this holiday is perfect. Kids would probably need other entertainment but this is probably provided in Santa season (Wi-fi was only available in the main hotel building, and not up to streaming of music/video/games). Mobile signal was fine though (a Nokia legacy apparently).

There’s not much to spend your money on, unless you want local craft goods (e.g. reindeer products, knives, and credit cards are accepted everywhere including local shops on both sides of the border (Euros in Finland, krona in Sweden). Additional excursions could also be purchased by credit card at the hotel.

Additional tips take:
- hot chocolate powder
- concentrated orange squash (Robinson’s squash’s)
- small torch for nighttime navigation

Essential for decent photos of the Northern Lights
- DSLR camera
- At least one spare camera battery and charger (batteries drain quickly in the cold)
- Tripod
- a free Northern Lights app (eg My Aurora Forecasts & Alerts)
- fingerless gloves
- patience!

4  Thank RamblingAroundAgain
Reviewed 8 April 2018

this is the 2nd time I have travelled with transun I stayed in there other place in Sweden the 1st time what was cheaper and never done the trips.the davvi was not the best the curtains kepy coming down so our room looked scruffy overall it was ok no good if you have a walking problems cause its on a bank food quality was hity miss not much choice of a desert the drinks were expencive 7 ueros a pint compared to 6 the year before . I was so mad that the other hotel closed so the guest came to the davvi and were upgraded to a lodge that I could not afford so settled for the hotel SO IF I BOOK FOR NEXT YEAR I WILL ASK FOR A FREE UP GRADE. the staff were very good if not excellent they would do anything for you it was not no bother for them they did look after you will I go back not sure but when you have a slap dash of a manger telling his staff he not going back here makes you wonder why think he did not like it so well done to all the staff that made our holiday count they all need a medal. the northern lights were class seen them 5 nights out of the 7 and not to mention the hot tub was fab x

Room Tip: level floor were bar ect is
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

We stayed at one on the lodges at the Davvi Arctic Lodge Hotel during a one week northern lights break with Transsun. The whole package including activities was fabulous. I preferred this to a ski holiday due to the variety of activities included in the package with more activities available as extras.

The lodge itself was good and very comfortable, the hotel was excellent and the staff were exceptional. The package was full board and the food served at the hotel was homely, filling and plentiful. It was not five star but we were not expecting it, we were never left hungry all week.

The activities included in the package were brilliant, with enough down time to relax between activities. Those who are a little more adventurous could add additional activities to their days.

The information provided by Transsun was very useful for preparation for the trip, i.e. What to take etc. if you are thinking of going on one of these trips my recommendations are; try and get your own lodge, take some duty free with you as drinks prices are high, try booking in March when prices drop following the Christmas Santa rush, also the excursion to the ice hotel is worth a visit while in that part of the world.

Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

Although I am sure many people loved this trip it was not for me. I have travelled quite extensively and stayed in remote locations before but at least they were clean. Our room at the Davi Lodge hadn’t been cleaned properly and the hotel itself is grubby and in need of a major refurb. The thermal suites are also dirty. The food varied from acceptable to terrible Transun do not mention that you need to sign a waiver before taking part in the huskie activity but do tell you there is a hefty fine if you damage the snowmobiles. Excellent travel insurance is a necessity and be aware that the hospital is miles away. As the Artic Lodge was closed their visitors were relocated to the Davi cabins It would have been better management to upgrade the Davi hotel guests
On a positive note the location is lovely and a walk over to Sweden to see the church and the reminders located behind the small museum is a must. The huskies were great fun however this excursion can prove quite dangerous and additional ones are expensive
There was definitely insufficient instruction before use of the snowmobiles and perhaps there should be a place to give it a try before being let loose
Saw the northern lights on one night which was great but all in all there are too many minuses for me to give this holiday a better rating

Reviewed 24 March 2018

I gave this a 5*rating, not because the hotel is 5* (it definately isn't!) but because the experience it offered certainly was. 5 of us stayed in a Fell House which was warm and comfortable, if a little basic, and just what we required. If you are someone who wants room service, room cleaned every day, specific things to eat at meal times etc then this holiday is probably not for you. For me, it was amazing! I loved to opportunity to have a go at all kinds of things I will probably never do again. Hated the snowmobile (but glad I've tried it) because my glasses and goggles iced up and I couldn't see a thing. My husband loved it (he doesn't wear glasses!). The tobogganing was amazing and I spent most of my free time doing this. 5€ to hire a sledge for the week was the best value ever. I loved the whole notion of walking along the snowy footpath for our meals. It gave a whole new slant to the term 'getting dressed for dinner'...two layers of thermals, woolly jumper, thick cardigan, ski kit, hat, two layers of gloves.... That said, I was only ever cold once (on the snowmobile) because I had the correct clothes and was well prepared. Hotel staff were the friendliest hotel staff I've ever encountered. The activity leaders were also brilliant. None of that 'laddish' culture that you sometimes find with outdoor activity instructors! Young, enthusiastic, helpful with mature heads on their shoulders. Amazing!!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends