Davvi Arctic Lodge
  • Beachfront
TripAdvisor
Arctic Star Hotel(Karesuando)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewstravel kettlesanta safarireindeer campgreat funnorthern lightsthermal suits and bootsthe main hotelacross the bridgefrozen riverpetrol stationhusky ridetransun reparctic circleice hotelfantastic holidayrecommend this tripsnow mobiles
Reviewed 2 March 2018

This was on my husband's " bucket list " and we decided to do this for his 70th birthday. I would recommend people to do this before this ripe old age as we found a few of the things challenging but very worthwhile.
It was an incredible trip and one which we will not repeat again( not because it was bad but because it was a once in a life time experience for us ! ).
Transum handled everything perfectly and the hotel was good except that we were staying in one of the cabins and the one thing that struck me was the lack of telephone in the room, in the case of any emergency! Also we lovingly nick-named our bathroom ," the Freezer ", as it was so cold and inadequately heated.

The food was absolutely adequate but lacked a little imagination . For instance , 90% of the time there was always chips to accompany the meal, except for Friday night with the battered fish ! The food needed extra seasoning but that is a personal taste but certainly filling , warm and copious!

The staff were really helpful and very friendly and couldn't do enough for us. My only gripe is that I had an asthma attack as I was going up the hill with a group one evening to the forest to see the light and had to turn back . I didn't want my husband to miss out on the chance of seeing the Northern lights , so turned back and started to return on my own . The guide at the back of the walking party asked me " Are you Ok dear ?" to which I replied that no as I wasn't well and was returning to the hotel. Her response was " well I hope you see the lights from your hotel room ! " I do feel it should have been let me help you back to the hotel. I was taken aback by this as she clearly knew I wasn't well and I felt that she should have accompanied me back to the hotel to ensure my safety.
The rest of the time , cannot be faulted and we had an amazing trip that we wont forget.

Room Tip: We had a room with a bath , shower and sauna but apparently the main hotel rooms were a little basic
Reviewed 27 February 2018

OMG, what can i say. From the first phone call to Transun to the final goodbye at the airport....100% PERFECT. The trips, the cabin, the staff, the food....everything was spot on. AMAZING....and to top it off we even got to see the northern lights. The staff are all amazing and really do add a special touch to your holiday. The food was all great, i had more than i do at home. Everything was run light clockwork......JUST PERFECT. Thank you:-) Cant not recommend this trip enough. We will be doing it again.

Room Tip: Take hand a feet warmers.....its very very cold.
2  Thank Swisey
Reviewed 27 February 2018

Just returned from a 3 night stay in one of the cabins. Everything about our stay was perfect. The staff were very friendly and helpful. It is obvious they all enjoy working there. When booking we were made aware of the limited menu due to the lack of fresh food, well I think we ate better there than we do at home!! All of the trips are well run and we actually saw the Northern Lights on 2 nights. Cabins are basic but warm and comfortable. Cabins have their own saunas also. They also have a seperate heated front porch for wet clothes. Oh and don't forget the underfloor heating in the bathrooms! Also tea and coffee making facilities in the room.

Reviewed 23 February 2018

Just got back from a 4 night stay here and had a wonderful experience. Transun had the entire holiday organised perfectly! The hotel rooms are basic but warm and cosy. No complaints about the food, was tasty and filled you up! I'm a vegetarian and found the food to be lovely. All of the activities were wonderful as were all of the staff. The activity staff were especially good, knowledgeable and enthusiastic. The holiday was a birthday present and were bought the night in an igloo. Didn't last the entire night as the igloo felt way colder than -5 and we couldn't stick it out! You can visit the igloos during the day so would probably recommend that rather than trying to sleep in one. The husky sledging can be a bit of an adrenaline rush and surprisingly we enjoyed the snow shoe experience far more than we thought we would. I would definitely recommend taking a good pair of thermals, a fleece (which was a godsend), proper thermal socks (we bought wedze), good ski gloves (again we bought wedze), most of our stuff was from dare2b and we warm enough in -30, also a balaclava will come in handy especially on trips!! The scenery is absolutely stunning and it's worth trekking uphill to get a good view! Also would recommend walking over into Sweden where the coca cola church is. We also managed to find the Karesuando knife factory as my husband wanted to go, the rep or receptionist can give directions. We hired a toboggan each from the hotel, these are 5 euro a person and you get them for your entire holiday. We had hours of fun on these!
Overall Transun were absolutely fantastic and this was an amazingly wonderful experience. We were lucky enough to see the northern lights twice and would advise to download the My Aurora app as this gives you a guideline on the best time to see them.

Room Tip: Cabins have underfloor heating and a sauna, we had a hotel room and were more than happy!
Reviewed 23 February 2018

We stayed in one of the lodges and it was fantastic. The drying room as you enter was a perfect area for all our wet clothing and boots. The lodge itself was lovely and a really decent size. Transun were well organised from the flight landing, through to all our excursions and transfers. We did the husky ride, snowmobiles, reindeer farm, snow shoes and night time trek, all lasting a good 2 hours, the memories will last a lifetime, we also hired the tobogans for 5 euros which turned six 50-65 year olds into children again. The food was plentiful and delicious and the staff were really friendly. Cant recommend this trip enough.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends