“Best Thai Food I have had in Sydney”
Review of Thai Pothong

Thai Pothong
Ranked #1 of 165 Restaurants in Newtown
Price range: USD 1 - USD 19
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Newtown
Reviewed 6 April 2018

4 ladies all chefs. Really enjoyed the food here...service as 5 star.....make a reservation as it is very popular......the lamb was out of this world and frankly it is worth going to Newtown for this delicious food. Will go there again

Date of visit: April 2018
1  Thank Carol W
Write a ReviewReviews (1,449)

Reviewed 5 April 2018

The service was wonderful, and as we went for Valentine's day, the place was nicely decorated and we even left with a little gift. Set menu for the occasion, and the food was very yummy!!!! However, we were both ill after the meal (him with stomach, me with migraine)... and put it down to MSG in the food. I'd love to give the restaurant another try after so many good reviews... but not sure I can handle the headache if it happens again.

Date of visit: February 2018
1  Thank Rachelewilton
ThaiPothong, Manager at Thai Pothong, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2018

Hi Rachele,

First of all, may I thank you for your wonderful informative review of Thai Pothong food and service. I am concerned about your headaches and your partners tummy upset. I need to inform you that we, at Thai Pothong never add MSG to our food. However, there may be a minute amount in some of the bottled sauces.

We would appreciate you visiting Thai Pothong again, and please ask for me "Nick."

Looking forward to serving you.

Regards,
Nick

Reviewed 3 April 2018

This is now our "go to" Thai restaurant. Great service, food and atmosphere all at a very completive price. What's not to like

1  Thank Michael F
Reviewed 3 April 2018

The online reservation was easy. The staff were very friendly and incredibly sweet. Rarely say that about a restaurant. The food was very good with almost too much choice. Our vegan companion was as happy as the meat eaters. The prices were also very reasonable. If I was to improve anything it would be slightly larger tables to make the presentation less cramped. I knocked water off the table because of lack of space (by accident). We will definitely return.

1  Thank Sally54007
Reviewed 2 April 2018

This place is pretty remarkable. Even with so many Thai restaurants to choose from, we came back after a week--and had just as good an experience. You get your food so fast! and it's so good. I think the flavors are more subtle than some of the fine dining restaurants I've been to. It's noisy and close quarters but the service is quite attentive.

Highly recommended: the barramundi curry. It was mentioned in so many reviews that I chose it -- amazing.

another tip: pay attention to the indicators about how hot dishes are. They seemed accurate. Even the first level was pretty hot! we could not have handled two.

I like lager so was really happy to see a reasonable price for the Thai beer Singha--a good companion for our meal.

2  Thank JMH2110