Lowest prices for your stay
Fully refundable before Thu, 14 Mar
No prepayment needed
Priceline
Fully refundable before Thu, 14 Mar
Fully refundable before Fri, 15 Mar
Get rewarded with One Key
All reviews enmore theatre industrial style inner west great location king street king room coffee machine short stay newton cafes sydney suburb proximity
Selected filters
Reviewed 16 January 2022

I’m giving this a 4 star review because of its location - only 200 metres from Enmore Theatre and proximity of restaurants etc. otherwise I’d give it 3 stars. Parking is a challenge particularly on Friday night. The hotel is a modern building with a central void which has greenery. The room was quite small but we were only there one night so bearable. The room we had could use some TLC - dusty light fittings, blown globes , flickering lights, empty body wash dispenser in bathroom etc. I would probably stay here again but opt for the king room instead of the queen to get a bit more space (won’t fix the lack of attention to room cleaning though).

Date of stay: December 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 December 2021 via mobile

Had a wonderful opportunity last weekend to experience a very practical industrial theme motel in the centre of the Newtown Restaurant Hub, receiving a room located on the first floor down the quiet Station St side was a bonus. Even with the extremely high ceiling, the air conditioning coped well. The Manager was most diligent with a pleasant manner & after discovering the lack of a TV Remote he was instantaneously resourceful. Certainly would recommend this motel with it’s easy access to the local Restaurants & Sydney CBD via the Railway System.

Date of stay: December 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 12 November 2021

Very central. Was my forest visit, put me on the first floor, from the back laneway it was so loud all night. I don't know what to say but they knew it was for business and seems like it must have been one of the loudest room, above the bins

Room tip: Need to get higher up, not on street side or facing laneway
Date of stay: November 2021
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank FunkyPorcini
Reviewed 7 July 2021

Having stayed at The Urban last week I can not understand how it has so many good reviews here. (Many seem to be reviewing the area and not the establishment itself. Maybe they were written by the owners?).
As I've stated above, this place - at least currently - bears little resemblance to a quality hotel. The rooms, and the amenities and services on offer, are much more in line with a higher-end hostel.
Needing to leave my nearby home for a couple of nights while house renovations were happening, I booked two nights. I was initially quoted $400 a night, but found a much cheaper price online. Unlike any other hotel I've dealt with, The Urban refused to match that price, so I took the online offer, which - inlcuding fees - cost around $220 a night. I was told that I was booking "a suite". (I needed accomodation for myself, my wife, and my daughter).
Booking in is difficult, as there is no staff on Reception. Instead, there is a mobile number to ring, which eventually (between 10 - 15 minutes later) summons a resident who is seemingly paying a reduced rate in order to occasionally fulfil Reception duties. I was given a key for a First Floor room; a small, skinny room with a high concrete ceiling and two beds (one 'double' - that is, two singles pushed together, and a single with wheels attached to its bedhead for easy transportation!).
My family had moved into The Urban to avoid the noise of renovation happening in our home. This was ironic, as we soon realized that - despite the place being virtually empty during a Covid lockdown - we were right above loud renovations. A restfully stay was impossible, as the room was filled with the loud noise of relentless banging. A new room was organized - even smaller than the last one, and once again not "a suite".
I won't go on any further: I presume you get the idea. The main thing to note is that The Urban offers few of the things you'd expect in a hotel. Rooms aren't serviced: we requested that someone please just empty our garbage bin on our third day, but it didn't happen. The tiny TV only has basic Free-to-Air. There is no option fo anything like room service. And despite being told we'd have a "free bar bridge' there was nothing in it - even to purchase.
And if you do book here, remember that this building is the old Newtown RSL club and that is reflected in every aspect. A cheap and tacky renovation has been done - and seemingly continues to this day - but this is just a nasty concrete monstrosity with badly cobbled-together small rooms. (The bathroom was easily the smallest I've ever seen in a commercial establishment). Oh, and parking is $40 a night, which, like everything else, must be paid in advance.
Book at your own risk. You have been warned! This place sucks!

Date of stay: June 2021
3  Thank ZiggySawdust
Reviewed 23 May 2021 via mobile

When I read industrial style I had no idea thus meant a dirty cement roof in my room. It smelt like cement. The place was dark and dim. The toilets in the main area were unfinished. I will not be recommending this place. Be aware there is funky and then their is unfinished. This is unfinished.

Room tip: Be wary
Date of stay: April 2021