“A Relaxed Sunday Evening ”

John Dory's Bedford
Ranked #17 of 59 Restaurants in Bedfordview
Price range: USD 3 - USD 10
Description: Ahoy Me Mateys! Join us at John Dory's - the best seafood restaurant that the whole family can enjoy! Our menu has an ocean of choices for all our seafood lovers! From fresh hand-rolled sushi to tempura battered fish & chips. Shiver your timbers! Our catch of the day, prawns, calamari and fresh oysters are a reason to abandon ship and come ashore! Our kids' menu has a variety of yummy meals for our young mateys too and we also have a cool kids' play area with boatloads of fun activities for little sailors! What are you waiting for? Dock your boat at John Dory's for arrr-mazing food and service.
Reviewed 19 August 2017 via mobile

The balcony seating is lovely! You can see the Johannesburg skyline in the distance from here. I watched the sun set, and the city light up.

Service was friendly and warm.

The sushi was lovely.
They have vegetarian dragon rolls and strawberry and cream pudding sushi rolls, a must-try for dessert!

It was relaxed enough to read, and lively enough to bring your spirits up. A perfect Sunday evening to wind down before the week ahead!

John_Dorys_Fish, Guest Relations Manager at John Dory's Bedford, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2017

Dear NikishaBaijan,

Thank you for taking the time to review our fish, grill & sushi restaurant. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our excellent service as well as our sushi, expertly-rolled by our sushi chefs.

We look forward to having you back again, soon!

John Dory's

Reviewed 24 April 2017

Its the first time I tried John Dory and was pleasantly surprised. The staff were friendly when we arrived and the atmosphere was cheerful. We were seated inside against the window which had a great view overlooking Linksfield ridge, Bruma and Cyreldene.
When going through the menu it was difficult to choose due to the large variety of dishes which I must admit was a lot better than its competitor. All in all a fantastic evening.

John_Dorys_Fish, Guest Relations Manager at John Dory's Bedford, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2017

Dear SAAT495,

Thank you so much your amazing review! We are thrilled to know you enjoyed your experience with us.

We hope to offer you many more good experiences with us in the future!

Reviewed 14 January 2017

Because I am following a specific diet programme, I had to eat fish for lunch. My friend and I were out on our monthly movie and lunch date, and we therefore opted to have lunch at John Dory's in Bedford Centre. The employees were really friendly and helpful. We could sit anywhere, as it was not so busy at lunchtime on Friday 13th! Anyway, I love sole, so we both ordered grilled sole, mine with a nice salad and nothing else, my friend had her's with chips, and we ordered a side salad for her as well. She also received Tartare sauce. Oh, I was so hungry, and could not wait, the smell was so good. We did not have to wait too long for our meal. The sole was absolutely fantastic! If I were not dieting, I could easily have eaten another one. We only ordered the single soles from the menu. My friend said her chips were fresh and lovely. However, the Tartare sauce was awful. I believe they get this ready made, possibly from Head Office. Well, I loved my sole and salad, and she loved her sole and chips! I will definitely be back again, next time with my husband! I actually did not even know there was a John Dory's in the Centre, so was thrilled to find them there. Our waiter was working on his first day there. He was very helpful, thank you! (Forgot the gent's name!).

John_Dorys_Fish, Guest Relations Manager at John Dory's Bedford, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2017

Ahoy 2travelislife2me,

Thank you so much your amazing review! Delivering excellent food and service is what we live for - glad you and your friend experienced just that! We hope to offer you many more good experiences with us in the future!

Reviewed 20 December 2016 via mobile

This restaurant has all the potential to be a great cost effective fish restaurant option. Service has always been great on the 3 occasions we have visited, but unfortunately the food quality has much to be desired.

The sushi does not taste fresh, it has a distinct fish taste which is indicative of older fish being used, and the tempura prawns are mushy and not crispy or firm fleshed.

The main courses suffer the same problem, and the last time we visited we ordered the sole, which tasted old and smelt old as well.

After our last experience, we have decided that this restaurant is no longer worth visiting, which is a pity.

Spur group, who own John Dory's should really focus on fixing this problem, as it detracts from the Spur brand.

John_Dorys_Fish, Guest Relations Manager at John Dory's Bedford, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2016

Dear SeanJHB,

Thank you for taking the time to review John Dory's Bedford Centre. We are so sorry to hear that the food served was not up to standard. Your feedback is much appreciated. If you would like us to discuss this further, please forward this on together with your contact details to customer-care@johndorys.co.za and we'll get in touch with you.

Reviewed 3 August 2016

I cant recommend this restaurant.
We had to wait for a long time for a table and we were given a table in what must be the noisiest spot in the restaurant.
Kids were screaming in open play area, a manager was shouting at staff and we could not hear each other at our table.
We waited a very long time for the food to arrive and it was "okay" well by the time the food arrived I wasn't hungry anymore!