“Very elegant and awesome Tuscan place”
Review of Osteria I Macelli

Osteria I Macelli
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: L'Osteria i Macelli ha riaperto con una nuova gestione. La sua gustosa cucina vi aspetta con tante novità non solo nei piatti ma anche nella nuova organizzazione di piccoli eventi all'interno del ristorante!
Reviewed 18 October 2018 via mobile

If you're looking for traditional delicious Italian food you must go to "osteria I macelli". The food is high quality and the waiters very kind. We had a very tasty lunch, drank wine and enjoyed ourselves in such a comfortable restaurant. The music is soft and is a very nice and calm place. We got the "maccheroncini della nonna" - home made maccheroni with pumpkin, pork and porcini mushrooms. They were awesome. Then we had a cold dish with roast beef, cheese and other gourmet things: you could really taste that the quality of the food was very high. My friend got the chocolate soufflè and OMG. I really recommend this place!!!!

Date of visit: October 2018

Reviewed 20 August 2018

We celebrated our son's birthday at the Osteria I macelli . It was an excellent mix between formal ("after all you are turning 13") and unpretentious dining experience.
We enjoyed the dinner on the terrace, and had a 3 course dinner.

This restaurant gives a lot of importance to the quality of the products, to the freshness, and locally-produced. I especially liked the ravioli with fresh tomatos and lemon. The meat was absolutely fabulous, notably the Carpaccio.

Service was a bit shy, but extremely kind.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 16 April 2018

I Macelli is located at the high edge of the village of Borgo a Mozzano. we reached it on foot in 10 minutes from the center (Municipio) but you can drive there and it has a large parking. The dining room shows Tuscan charme, wooden ceiling, stone arch, etc. The staff very friendly. Prosecco, amuse gueule and limoncello offered by the house. We shared an antipasto, than had each a secondo (rosbeef, baccalà ai ceci) with a contorno, wine of the house, dessert, the bill came to 55 EUR. The food was delicious, the presentation perfect, the wine very good. RECOMMENDED!

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

This is a family favorite - my parents have been coming to Italy for 10 years and always ensure they visit.

The menu changes daily and is bought over to your table in a big blackboard, the waiter is usually happy to help explain if there are any words you can't translate. The dishes offered, while perhaps a few euros more expensive than other options in Bagni di Lucca, are worth it because they are a little different.

We shared stuffed courgette flowers and a smoked cod ceviche to start between three of us, I then had duck a l'orange which was super tender and tasty.

My amaretto was given on the house, which was a lovely surprise.

There's inside and outside seating (if you can brave the mosquitoes outside!)

Date of visit: August 2017
1  Thank RowRow87
Reviewed 14 July 2017 via mobile

10 friends, including my husband and myself, the only non-Italian in our group, visited Osteria Macelli for what we'd hoped would be a good meal, based on the 4.5 stars others had given collectively on Trip Advisor. We'd booked a table, though it wasn't necessary as there were only around 20 people in total in the restaurant all night, and still we arrived with NO welcome, or proper acknowledgement whatsoever.
After being seated and ignored for around 20 minutes, we asked for a menu and a chalk board menu and printed menus were brought to the table 10 minutes after we'd had to ask. NO EXPLANATION OF ANY OF THE DISHES WAS GIVEN and when I dared to ask what one starter was it was as if I'd asked something difficult or unnecessary!? My friends answered and told me, however, the waiter/owner/manager should have been quick and happy to do this to accommodate a paying customer, at minimum! No, he didn't bother, and I also speak perfect Italian, and asked in his language too, yet he looked at me like I was from Mars! I travel the world for my job and have dined in many top Michelin starred restaurants and being treated pleasantly and with respect is the minimum one expects. Anyway, perhaps we should have asked what was on offer before we arrived, as nothing on the chalk board daily specials menu really appealed to me, but I went with the anchovies "Alice" which was served in a cheese sauce and had nice crunchy croutons on top. Sadly There were small bones in the Alice /anchovies and they had no distinguishing taste or flavour as I expected either. Perhaps the Osteria was trying to be "fancy " when I'd have preferred genuine good rustic cuisine. My friend chose the stuffed zucchini flowers which she offered me one to try. I've had these made in homes before and they were much better than served at Osteria Macelli, as these also didn't seem freshly prepared either. We all had a starter, and a first course or a second course.

After having seen some yummy photos on the TA reviews of others, I'd wanted to try the freshly made tordelli (big ravioli) with a ragu bolognese meat sauce, but I asked and this "wasn't available"! So although I was disappointed, I didn't want to make a fuss and I settled for the Tordelli filled with with lemon and rocket, in a tomato sauce which was a let down as the tomato sauce was strewn with tiny fresh baby plum tomatoes which were tasty, however, they had a very tough chewy skin, which wasn't palatable as one had to chew the tomato then spew out (discretely of course!) the tough skin. My friend had spaghetti al Tartuffe / truffles and again she gave me some to try, but this was a bit of a con, as I could be wrong but this dish seemed to feature only a truffle oil, and it didn't taste like proper truffles, to me (and I've eaten them many times before) and if there was a grating of truffles, they were only the brown truffles if there were any actually used, not the more desired white truffles.

Others in our group told us later that they too were similarly not particularly impressed with their meals, and they'd expected or hoped for better, rather than mediocre which we were served. I admit, the House red wine was good, I abstained on desert as I didn't want anything sweet, but the others who ordered the sorbet said it was melting and liquidy, and my husband had asked for some vodka in his and he didn't get this but was told nothing.

We could have put up with everything so far, but then the worse part which really ruined our evening was after paying €280 for a starter and mostly only a first course (I believe one friend only got the main course, a tagliata, which he said was tough steak meat and not tender as it should have been) for 10 people, with two litres of red house wine, some bottles of water, and the sorbets & deserts for most of the group, except me, my husband was rudely and unacceptably told off and accused of having "stolen" a few sprigs of Wild mint which was growing freely on the common public ground around the hills next to the restaurant, by a 30 year old man ( don't know if he was manager or owner, and if he was the owner, he surely will not have many customers if he treats them all like this), ruining our evening, after we'd spent nearly €300 on an average meal!! It wasn't even his property, the mint was picked on the hills outside and around the public car park! Now please tell me, who in their right mind would abuse someone and call them a thief over a few sprigs of mint?? It's absurd behaviour and unheard of. My husband immediately handed the mint back to the man when this false accusation was made as he was in shock at this guy's terrible customer service and bad attitude....he says my husband should have asked before he took the couple sprigs of mint, and if he'd imagined in his wildest nightmare an argument would ensue over a bit of wild mint, he would have asked. But the mint was growing freely on the hillside next to the restaurant and next to the car park which is a public space as many other cars, not in the restaurant, were all parked there so it wasn't even his personal land or property! Sorry to have gone on about "mintgate" but as a result of this unnecessary rude treatment we will not return to Osteria Macelli and there are many other restaurants in the Borgo a Mozzano area competing for custom, where we've been before and we've been welcomed, treated much better and eaten much better too and paid less, to boot!
Rule no. 1 is Paying Customers all deserve to be treated well, not abused and accused of "stealing" mint, as we are all professional respectful people, who had their evening ruined by this guys pettiness. He's lucky we're law abiding citizens as others may not have been so lenient as us! Whoever he was, he behaved appallingly and ruined what would have been a pleasant evening. An apology is in order and if not forthcoming, we'll have no option but to tell everyone we know of our unpleasant experience at Osteria Macelli. Word of advice, stop being petty! RESPECT your customers, or soon, you'll have none! Customers don't touch the Wild mint without asking the boss!

Date of visit: July 2017