“Thank you Kanberra ”
Review of Kanberra Hotel

Kanberra Hotel
Ranked #2 of 12 Lira B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 October 2017 via mobile

I spent a memorable 2 weeks at the Kanberra Hotel in May this year. It was such a life changing experience spending time in the town of Lira and learning about Ugandan life and culture while staying at the hotel. The staff are accommodating to anything you need, and leave you smiling. My friends and I felt secure, catered to, and relaxed over the 2 weeks.

If you are looking for a simple, friendly, and stress free stay in Uganda this hotel ticked all the boxes.

Thanks from all of us.

We will definitely return.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends

Reviewed 15 September 2017

Safety is a big plus in this area of the world. Security was good. rooms were so so, They had mosquito nets (which was a must).
The staff were awesome and the breakfasts were delicious.
We had water issues when I stayed there, which always seemed to go out when I was having a shower :)
The hotel is centrally located in Lira. It seemed to be the place where a lot of western NGO's or business folk stay

Stayed: October 2016
Reviewed 11 July 2017

Great and excellent place. I and my team enjoyed every bit of this hotel. Great smiling staffs. Please keep my Room 7 clean as usual. Hahahaha. Keep it up.
Jacob from Zambia. I would recommend this hotel especially Room 7 to any person.

Room Tip: Best Room for me was Room 7. Hand my team take Room 6666 and 10 on top.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 April 2017

I had stayed at Kanberra Hotel in July last year with a team of 20, and had a decent stay. I was returning in Lira with a medical team to work in Lira and made reservations more than 3 months in advance. I was alerted by a missionary friend that Kanberra was closed due to not paying their taxes. I decided to wait it out and see if they would reopen in time for my mission trip. I should have at that time made other arrangements but I wanted to support their hotel. I made reservations 3 months in advance, confirmed them 1 month in advance (they had been able to reopen) and then sent a friend to reconfirm in person the day before my arrival! I did not want to have any surprises upon arrival. I arrived on the day I confirmed, and was greeted with "it is so great to see you Mama, but we have a slight problem" their "slight problem" was that they had given half of my rooms away!! They wanted me to put half of my team of young girls in their "annex" it was not their annex but a rundown hotel up the street. There was no way I was going to split my team, especially since they were young women! The woman I was dealing with told me that another team had been there the night before and they wanted to stay another night, so they let them have our rooms. I have been traveling to UG for almost 20 years leading multiple mission teams a year and this is only the second time this has happened! The worst part of the whole experience was that I had to spend my afternoon (that we were suppose to be working in a clinic), traveling around Lira trying to find a hotel that had enough rooms for my entire team. We had to go to 4 hotels before we found one that had enough rooms and it was more than double the price. It cost me about $500 more for this new hotel, that is $500 that could have been used on medicines on our mission!!! As I departed Kanberra to start the search for another hotel, the women said to me "please come back and visit another time" There is no way I will ever visit Kanberra again, or recommend them to anyone else traveling to Lira! It does not matter how good of a hotel you are if you can't be trusted to keep reservations especially for returning customers, than you can't be trusted at all.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 October 2016 via mobile

Stayed here for two weeks as part of ten of us staying over a month as part of Poole Africa Link team teaching at Lira referral hospital and Lira uni. Great hotel, lovely helpful staff, very clean, good prices and good food... Nice omelettes fir breakfast. Would definitely recommend. Internet satisfactory. Great bar staff especially Sam who served speedy Nile specials! Prices and security good. Some showers need attention but overall it was great. Beds comfy and mosi nets intact! Thanks to all the lovely staff here, couldn't fault you!

Stayed: October 2016, travelled on business
okidi f, Director of Sales at Kanberra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2016

Dear Hilary F,

Greetings from Kanberra!

We are so excited and full of delights to hear that our staff were able to meet your expectations during your recent stay here. Nothing motivates our staff more than a knowing that their guests appreciate their services. There is no doubt, all of them are going to be happy when they read this from you. Management is very appreciative for this wonderful review of the facility.

We have taken note of the shower problems and our team are already on the work to get them fixed.

Thank you so much for sparing time to share with us your experiences, we hope to have you back at Kanberra.

Fredrick Okidi