All reviews omelette felt secure clean rooms team fans shower nets group security power uganda town
Reviewed 4 April 2017

I had stayed at Kanberra Hotel in July last year with a team of 20, and had a decent stay. I was returning in Lira with a medical team to work in Lira and made reservations more than 3 months in advance. I was alerted by a missionary friend that Kanberra was closed due to not paying their taxes. I decided to wait it out and see if they would reopen in time for my mission trip. I should have at that time made other arrangements but I wanted to support their hotel. I made reservations 3 months in advance, confirmed them 1 month in advance (they had been able to reopen) and then sent a friend to reconfirm in person the day before my arrival! I did not want to have any surprises upon arrival. I arrived on the day I confirmed, and was greeted with "it is so great to see you Mama, but we have a slight problem" their "slight problem" was that they had given half of my rooms away!! They wanted me to put half of my team of young girls in their "annex" it was not their annex but a rundown hotel up the street. There was no way I was going to split my team, especially since they were young women! The woman I was dealing with told me that another team had been there the night before and they wanted to stay another night, so they let them have our rooms. I have been traveling to UG for almost 20 years leading multiple mission teams a year and this is only the second time this has happened! The worst part of the whole experience was that I had to spend my afternoon (that we were suppose to be working in a clinic), traveling around Lira trying to find a hotel that had enough rooms for my entire team. We had to go to 4 hotels before we found one that had enough rooms and it was more than double the price. It cost me about $500 more for this new hotel, that is $500 that could have been used on medicines on our mission!!! As I departed Kanberra to start the search for another hotel, the women said to me "please come back and visit another time" There is no way I will ever visit Kanberra again, or recommend them to anyone else traveling to Lira! It does not matter how good of a hotel you are if you can't be trusted to keep reservations especially for returning customers, than you can't be trusted at all.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 October 2016 via mobile

Stayed here for two weeks as part of ten of us staying over a month as part of Poole Africa Link team teaching at Lira referral hospital and Lira uni. Great hotel, lovely helpful staff, very clean, good prices and good food... Nice omelettes fir breakfast. Would definitely recommend. Internet satisfactory. Great bar staff especially Sam who served speedy Nile specials! Prices and security good. Some showers need attention but overall it was great. Beds comfy and mosi nets intact! Thanks to all the lovely staff here, couldn't fault you!

Stayed: October 2016, travelled on business
okidi f, Director of Sales at Kanberra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2016

Dear Hilary F,

Greetings from Kanberra!

We are so excited and full of delights to hear that our staff were able to meet your expectations during your recent stay here. Nothing motivates our staff more than a knowing that their guests appreciate their services. There is no doubt, all of them are going to be happy when they read this from you. Management is very appreciative for this wonderful review of the facility.

We have taken note of the shower problems and our team are already on the work to get them fixed.

Thank you so much for sparing time to share with us your experiences, we hope to have you back at Kanberra.

Regards

Reviewed 30 August 2016

Was here for 4 days, good for short business stays. Staff was super friendly. Food at the restaurant was good. Internet was reliable (better than in Kampala sometimes). Only issue was that shower was not working properly (no hot water and lower pressure).

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled on business

Dear Jizongs,

Greetings from the Kanberra Team!

Thank you so much for sparing your valuable time to share with us your experiences during your short stay at Kanberra. We are happy to hear that our staff were "Super friendly" and were able to meet your expectations. I am sure they will be thrilled when they read this fantastic comment from you. Thank you too for giving our internet service such a great rating!

We sincerely apologize for that an unpleasant experience you had with the showers. This is not representative of the high quality services that Kanberra strives for. We are engaging our technical team to redesign a new shower and water heater system in all our rooms, so we have taken note and working hard for major improvements.

We hope to welcome you back.

Regards

Reviewed 24 July 2016

I stayed here for 5 nights. Due to the breakdown of Lira's transformer, and the theft of a water pipe from it's main water source - both the power and the water were out for about a day and a half - but the staff at Kanberra were so friendly and kind that almost forgot about the issue! When the water went off the manager came to my breakfast table and explained what had happened with the town's pipes and how they hoped to have the water back soon, then a very kind lady brought me buckets of water to use in my room. The beds are super comfortable and I probably had some of the best nights sleep of my entire 2 month trip here. The wifi is good and there is security and a place to park cars. The breakfast is great - some days there were pancakes, the evening meal options are a bit limited but there are other places nearby. They have a very affordable laundry service.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled on business
okidi f, Director of Sales at Kanberra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2016

Dear hannahjanemarshall,

Thank you so much for this wonderful and encouraging review of our Hotel. The Management is surely grateful to know you enjoyed your short stay at Kanberra and that the Staff were so friendly and helpful. However, the Management deeply regret any inconveniences caused to you while staying at our Hotel, especially the crises involving power outage and water pipe damages, so please accept our sincere apology.

We look forward to an opportunity to better serve you again when you return to Kanberra Hotel.

Warm regards

Reviewed 13 July 2016

I recently spent two nights at the Kanberra. The staff were very friendly and the food good but there were a few issues. There was no hot water and in the middle of the night the second night the power went off and so did the water which remained off. Also my room wasn't cleaned as I wasnt told I had to leave my room key at the desk. The ceiling fan was very noisy so couldnt use it-- but except for no water it was a comfortable place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends