“Marvellous Place for Recreation and Recovery”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Pine Trees
Lake Sunset
Cottage Living Room
The Cottage
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

French first
Any
MarieW201...
Berlin, Germany
“Marvellous Place for Recreation and Recovery”
Reviewed 16 August 2016 for a stay in August 2016

Mairela is the perfect place to escape daily routine and remember what life really is about. Enjoy the silence, the lake, the forest, the lovely garden, the sauna, water from the well, fire after wood chopping, a rowing boot and Sara as a fabulous host! The cottage is cosy and well equipped with everything that is needed. We loved it and will definitivly come back to Mairela. Marvellous place and perfect host!

Liked best: Silence, Lake and Sauna
Liked least: Mosquitos :)
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Older travelers Families with young children
16 Aug 2016
Thank you guys, I really enjoyed hosting you both! Welcome back anytime!
p0ppy40
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Nirvana”
Reviewed 31 July 2016 for a stay in May 2016

Mairela is a little piece of heaven on earth. If you want to escape the hustle and bustle of everyday modern living and truly engage and immerse yourself in nature, Mairela is the place. The magical organic peat lake is a therapy in itself and a visual sensation beyond words. Golden coloured water serves the traditional Finnish sauna, which is a truly wonderful bathing experience and one that i undertook every evening after preparing kindling to light the fires. Natural spring water can be drawn from a well located just outside the cabin which contained everything you could possibly need for a retreat, including plenty of varied literature and music for meditation and reflection, not to mention an exceptional view of the lake. There are beautiful walks surrounding Mairela that make exploration a fantastic experience due to the masses of natural wildlife and lack of noise and light pollution. Sara was an amazing hostess and great company. If you really want the experience of a lifetime and an opportunity to "get back to nature" this is the trip for you.

Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: The incredible location
Liked least: Returning to civilisation
Travelling group: Solo Traveller
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
1 Aug 2016
It was my pleasure to host you, come back soon!
perlakisz...
Zanka, Hungary
“Like a dream came true for us”
Reviewed 24 May 2016 for a stay in May 2016

Simply amazing place and just like heaven, if you would like to experience the beautiful Finnish nature at a lakeside cottage in a breathtaking setting, with wood burning sauna, water from the well, etc, just like in old times! We loved every second and had an unforgettable time and would come back any time immediately! Of course I also have to mention, that Sara really was a super-kind host, and helped us to get to her place, regardless our difficulties and we cannot thank her enough for everything!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Simply everything, the setting, the sauna
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway
1 Aug 2016
It was my absolute pleasure to host such a wonderful couple and I really hope that you make it back here some day!
Alexandra...
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Wonderful place”
Reviewed 21 January 2016 for a stay in July 2015

Booked through Air BnB and already written an AirBnB review. Writing a tripadvisor one as I feel the current rating is an unfair representation of the place! :)

Sara was a lovely host, very accommodating, on hand to help and an absolute pleasure to talk to!
The cottage itself was lovely, very quaint, charming and fairytale-esque! It had twin beds on the ground level and up the ladder a doubleish sized bed. Be aware that the toilet is a eco bio-compostable outdoor toilet which is not everyone taste, we found it a little bizarre at first, being town and city girls, but got used to it. Trips to the toilet in the dark was a challenge, luckily it was summer and the Finnish long summer days helped us out! Overall we felt the space was decent, but we spent most of our time outdoors so it was ideal.

The setting amongst the trees was very relaxing, we couldn't have asked for a better place to experience Finland outside of the towns and cities. My friends enjoyed a leisurely row around the lake as I explored and took photos of surrounding nature.

Our stay of two days was very short, I recommend an average of 4 days or more to allow time to explore and get the full cottage experience. Due to our short stay we didn't use the grillhouse, but I assume it's very awesome. The kitchen is well equipped with everything you may need. The water is collected from a well but that was fine with us. The kitchen is well stocked with utensils and previous guests had left random foil/non perishables/seasonings which was handy.

Setting up the sauna was challenging, but we got it going after a while, topped off by a dip in the lake. It really made our Finnish forest experience! Peace and quiet was definitely needed and we certainly got it.

Location-wise the sat-nav took us down a single tracked mud path (came from the North), there was a more simple way I later found out, but it was more fun. There's a local supermarket shop 15ish minutes away by car in Kuhmoinen itself for everything you may need. Getting back to Helsinki was straight forward with google maps on our side. Such lovely scenery of trees, lakes and farmland.

I hope to return one day for longer! Highly recommended for a forest escape.

Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: The Sauna and lake
Liked least: The toilet wasn't what we were used to but it was fine with us and knew before booking.
Travelling group: Friends
Your age range 18-24
Friends getaway Older travelers
1 Aug 2016
Thanks guys, it's always nice to see how pleasantly surprised folk can be about getting back to nature, mastering fire lighting and just enjoying the natural aspects of life! Really hope to see you all again some day, very welcome back anytime!
Susan H
Norfolk, United Kingdom
“Not all it's cracked up to be.”
Reviewed 6 April 2015 for a stay in February 2015
person found this review helpful

I stayed here for two purposes: silence and Reiki healing. The silence was good in such a remote setting. I had 1 Reiki session and withdrew from the other 14 I'd arranged. Sara talked at me for over an hour about herself, her experiences and could not listen to or be attentive to me. She didn't explain how the session would go or undertake the customary new client questionnaire saying that she didn't think these were necessary. I discovered that Sara didn't complete her 3rd and final year in Energy Healing saying that she hadn't thought this to be necessary either. So she has no Qualification in this subject. She refused to refund the money I'd paid for the remainder of the Reiki Sessions, or even a part thereof. On the return journey to the airport she talked incessantly about herself. I came home 2 days early.

How easy was it to book the property? Overall condition of the property
Liked best: The silence
Liked least: The Host's lack of good attentiveness to her guest.
Travelling group: Solo Traveller
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
22 Apr 2015
Although this traducement has no relevance to the property listing I shall answer the points. You booked an individual healing holiday which encompasses 15 hours of one on one sessions, hardly a partner for silence and certainly not reiki healing.

On the first session I explained why I didn't use forms and why that wasn't relevant, I also explained why I used my own experiences to give examples of the spiritual aspects we covered. This would be the part where you weren't listening or paying attention.

I then began a very simple exercise where you close your eyes, feet flat on the floor and begin to notice your body whilst I assist you to do so. You didn't ever really take this seriously and after 20 minutes you stopped the session, said it wasn't working for you and left.

Next day you came and said that you didn't want to do any more work with me.

I had rearranged my care work and my voluntary work, and busted a gut getting the refurbished kitchen ready for you, plus rejecting other enquiries, so when YOU decide to stop coming to sessions I don't think a refund is required. You accepted that at the time, so what has changed since?

You didn't “discover” that I didn't do the 3rd year at the UK school of Energy Healing, I told you that and my website clearly states that I studied “for some time” at the school.

If you want certificates then I have them for 4 levels of Reiki, Meditation, Traditional Yoga Massage, Foot Reflexology, Business Law, Business Administration, Tax Law, Accounting, Information Systems, A level Maths and Biology, 8 O levels and a 50 yards swimming certificate!

My qualifications are my successful return to health from stage 3 ovarian cancer after a life expectancy of 17%, dealing with acute depression since my teenage years, dealing with self harm, overcoming an abusive 7 year relationship, successfully navigating a 4 year stalker, nursing my soul mate through his cancer until he died in my arms after only 1 year and 3 days.

If you had wanted a silent journey to and from the airport why did you specifically ask me to collect you? If you wanted silence in the car why didn't you just say so?!! If you wanted silence in the car why didn't you sit in the back? If you wanted silence why didn't you take the bus? If you wanted silence why didn't you take a taxi? It's not rocket science!!!

Generally, and by that I mean everyone except for you, appreciates getting to know a little bit about the person they are staying with, places of interest along the way and an introduction to life in Finland.

In my 13 years of running these holistic retreats and holidays I had never met anyone who refused to even shake my hand at the airport.....that is until you came.
When I dropped you off at the airport and wished you luck with your new job you got my name completely wrong!

The entire essence of your traducement reflects the very ill that you came to see me about.

A classic case of anosognosia?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing