“A dream holiday for the whole family”

Tariri Amazon Lodge
Reviewed 4 January 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a fantastic one week at Tariri Amazon Lodge and superlatives fail me when describing the lodge and the people who make it all possible.

Although I was born in Brazil, I had never had a truly Amazonian experience and after much prodding from my wife and the in-laws, I agreed to travel with them to the Amazon, and after much trawling the internet I came across the Tariri website. To me, it looked the part and the fact that Germano is a true Amazon rainforest native sold it to us.

Germano has an encyclopaedic knowledge of the forest, its peoples, fauna and flora, and he never tires of explaining and showing things to his guests. Our group's particular interest was birds and Germano took us on several very early morning excursions to find some of the elusive birds that inhabit the Amazon rainforest. He always knew where to find the birds and had extensive knowledge of their habits.

We made several cultural trips to local communities and the unmissable cassava flour house. The highlights of our stay were diving with the pink river dolphins, sunset bird spotting after the rain and seeing the toucans and kingfishers, finding jaguars' footprints on the lake shore near the lodge, and the amazing food prepared by Fabíola.

Germano, Fabíola and their family made our stay very special and we were able to share many great moments in their company, including spending New Year's Eve with them and the other guests.

No request is ever too hard for them to meet; and always with a smile. In short, Tariri Lodge is a MUST for anyone wanting the real Amazonian experience. We look forward to returning in the near future.

I cannot recommend Tariri Amazon Lodge highly enough. It is an Amazonian gem waiting to welcome you.

PS. On a personal note from Lisa (George's wife): Fabiola, thank you so much for the delicious treat of peanut brittle that you snuck into my bag when I left. You are such a kind and thoughtful person, and it is this quality that makes your lodge the amazing holiday destination that it is. The amazing experience of meeting you and your family was one that will remain in my thoughts for many years to come. I hope that we meet again...Lisa x

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank GeorgeBalbino

Reviewed 30 December 2011

We spent 3 days at Tariri and took in a lot over that short period of time. Germano and Fabiola, the owners of Tariri, built the lodge by hand with their family over many years and are passionate about the people and environment around Tariri. This passion is part of the reason Tariri doesn't feel like a hotel. As Germano said to us, 'even if there are no guests, this is our home.'

Germano is an experienced guide and, having grown up about 700 kilometers away in the Amazon, will give you a unique view of life in the forest and in neighboring communities. Fabiola is a lovely host and a great cook. I'm a vegetarian and didn't eat better anywhere in Brazil. Alan, who picked us up and dropped us off in Manaus was, like our hosts, passionate and knowledgeable about the history, the architecture of the region, and the area around Manaus.

I would highly recommend this lodge to those travelers who aren't looking for an air conditioned retreat in the Amazon but are rather hoping for an experience that is focused on the outdoors and offers a flavour for life in the environment. I imagine Tariri would be great fun for families with children. However, it's worth noting that the entire lodge is raised because of the extreme change of water levels in the rainy and dry season and this means that for toddlers and other very little ones the structures aren't ideal.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank juana123
Reviewed 10 December 2011

We stayed at the Tariri Amazon lodge for 3 nights at the end of November. Going to the Amazon was our main reason for coming to Brazil and we were really looking for something adventurous but still with some comforts! We couldn't have picked a better place to stay. First of all, the location is perfect. On a beautiful part of the Amazon - on Acajatuba lake, near the Rio Negro. The lodge is beautifully made, and Germano and Fabiola - the perfect hosts - really make you feel at home and that you are part of their family.

Germano knows that jungle, and takes you on the most brilliant trips. He knows the use of every plant and takes you to parts of the jungle where you're sure that no-one has ever been before. Always smiling, you can tell he really enjoys his job and is happy to have you there!

Fabiola, Fabiola, Fabiola, cooks better than my Italian grandmother. By far the best food we had in Brazil, and made with such attention to detail you just can't stop eating! Thank goodness for the jungle walks to build up an appetite!

The accommodation is exactly what we wanted - just 6 cabanas so you know it won't get crowded - very comfortable and spotlessly clean. For me I was worried about bugs (!) and trust me nothing is getting in those cabanas! Every window has a net and I didn't get bitten once.

Thanks again to Fabiola and Germano and all your family. Only regret, we wish we'd stayed longer! We'll be back!

Caro and Marcello

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank car0bu
Reviewed 5 December 2011

If you like air conditioning and room service, this place is NOT for you. At Tariri I had one of the best trips of my life. It was just four days there but it should be a couple more. The owners, Germano and Fabíola treat you like family, or, even better, a very welcome relative. Germano knows how to make you feel comfortable and safe in an adventure-like environment. They really know about the area and they REALLY care about environment like issues. I recommend and I´m already dying to go back there.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank cristianoseixas
Reviewed 26 November 2011

We spent 4 short nights at Tariri Lodge and we have never been so sad to leave a place or have a vacation come to an end! The lodge owners (Fabiola and Germano) as well as their family are ideal hosts! There was just enough exploration planned each day (walk through the jungle, river walk, caiman hunting, river dolphin encounter, pirana fishing) to educate and immerse us, allowing for many free hours to take a dip in the river, or relax in the hammocks. Our children (5 and 7 years old) enjoyed playing with the like age children that live at the lodge each afternoon and evening. In the end it felt as if we were staying with extended family, not visiting a lodge. The meals were fresh, always tasty and of great abundance and variety. We left the lodge speaking about our return. It was a gift to have found this jewel nestled into the Rio Negro region of the Amazon. Find your way to Tariri!!!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Arawak Jungle Hostel
#5 of 19 in Iranduba
Ponta Negra
Tropical Manaus Ecoresort

Been to Tariri Amazon Lodge? Share your experiences!