“Saturday Sparkles Brunch”

The Ferry
Ranked #16 of 19 Restaurants in Cookham
Price range: USD 8 - USD 51
Cuisines: European, Gastropub
Description: An idyllic retreat set in beautiful country house-style surroundings, The Ferry serves a menu of gourmet European recipes. Trained in high-class cookery schools in Spain and Italy, the chefs bring a wealth of experience, and demonstrate knowledge of a breadth of classic and complex cooking techniques. Partnering with Rothschild wine merchants, guests can choose a bottle from the well-stocked cellar.
Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

Free-flowing Prosecco lunch which needed constant prompting for top-ups. (Not that we're alcoholics... Obviously!) Got the order wrong, often, and only our honesty saved them approximately 50% of what we'd ordered. Lovely Outlook and decor but still a chain and food mediocre and overpriced.
Probably would go back again only because of the good deals and familiarity unfortunately.

1  Thank Mark17007
General Manager A, Manager at The Ferry, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2018

We are disappointed to hear that you did not have a more positive experience with us at The Ferry. Thank you for bringing this to our attention though Mark. We will use your comments to refine our efforts to ensure this issue does not happen again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,007)

Reviewed 27 March 2018

5 of us went to celebrate my brothers 30th birthday and from the start was very impressed with the building and the layout. very friendly staff and were happy to give us time and we didnt feel rushed what so ever. had 3 courses and all a variety of food. some was a bit underwhelming (the lamb koftas) but others were exceptional (the hake special). enjoyed a drink outside after the meal and overall was there for easily 3/4 hours. very enjoyable and would love to come back. was served by Sean at the bar who was particularly friendly and happy to have a bit of a laugh with us.

Thanks for the review Amy, we're glad to hear you enjoyed your visit. Our team strives to deliver an excellent experience, and are glad you found this to be the case with Sean during your visit. If you have further needs or questions, please reach out!

Reviewed 26 March 2018

In spite of the distinctly negative reviews we decided to have supper at the Ferry on Saturday 24th March at 8pm. We arrived early and had a drink downstairs. While waiting at the desk the manager came up to welcome us. Then something very odd happened: one of the young waiting staff pushed in between us and the manager rather than go round us. The manager shrugged and gave him an odd look - rather than give him advice. We all laughed it off. We sat down at our table and were immediately asked if we would like something to drink before I had even had a chance to look at the wine menu. We pointed out one wine glass was dirty and it was taken away. Minutes passed. In fact about 25 of them and nothing happened. So we asked for the wine and a glass. More time passed. I read the advert on the table which promised a ‘Stylish Easter’, which seems to miss the point of Easter. We spoke to the people at the table next to us who we knew and asked after their food. They said the pork belly was cold. The sea bass was ok. Our wagu burger and fishcakes arrived. Both were lukewarm to cold, as were the chips. We called the manager and he replaced them immediately, looking increasingly harassed and at odds with his young naive staff. The burger was too chewy to eat. The fishcakes were ok. Before we had finished one of the young lads stood by the table staring at my plate oddly. He asked me if I had finished my main course when I clearly had not. We asked for the bill and left. The manager did not say anything about the problems. I reluctantly paid the £51 but did not leave a tip as the service was non existent. And the final irony: when I went to the loo on the way out, there was pumping hip hop music totally at odds with a restaurant setting. We drove back through Bray and stopped at the pub on the high street there. It was like entering a calming world of normality. No music. Young but experienced and trained staff in control. Happy customers. What a contrast! The new manager at The Ferry clearly has his work cut out to improve standards. I would like the place to survive as it is a lovely setting and I have been going on and off for 15 years. I won’t be going back for a while though.

1  Thank Maninthegreenshirt
General Manager A, Manager at The Ferry, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2018

Maninthegreenshirt, I am very sorry for your experience with us, thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. As you mention, we do have a new manager Dan, who is working tirelessly to improve our guests experience here at The Ferry. If you would be willing to discuss your experience further, please email us at enquiry@theferry.co.uk
I hope you do give us an opportunity to restore your faith in The Ferry, especially when the sun eventually makes an appearance and you can enjoy the terrace!

Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

We decided to book The Ferry for Mother’s Day after having a lovely dinner there a couple months ago. Sadly our meal yesterday did not live up to our previous experience.
Service was incredibly slow and inattentive, we ended up cancelling our last drinks order after waiting almost half an hour and still not getting them. We’d finished our desserts by this point and just wanted to leave. Our mains of fish and chips looked good, however the fish was mushy inside the batter - my husband told the waiter this and he said he would feed it back to the kitchen. The twice cooked chunky chips were soggy and luke warm. My sons pizza from the child’s menu was fine.
It seemed like the staff were incredibly understaffed and all rushing around, they were however polite when they did speak to us. There were a pile of very sorry looking tulips on the table where you arrive, I think perhaps these were supposed to be given to the mums?

I don’t think we’ll hurry back again!

2  Thank Samantha S
Reviewed 12 March 2018

We were attending a family birthday meal and have been here before in past years. My daughter read the reviews and quickly bought to our attention how bad they were in the past month or so since new management had taken over. Anyhow, armed with knowing what other diners had complained about it was too late to cancel so we were prepared!

The restaurant was full when we arrived (a good sign). The service was very slow and we were given wet wine glasses (with lipstick on them - so clearly hadn't been cleaned properly). However, the food was delicious, no complaints really.