Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in great prices from these sites
USD 41
View deal
Hotels.comUSD 41
TravelocityUSD 41
CheapTicketsUSD 41
Orbitz.comUSD 41
TripadvisorUSD 41
StayForLong
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 6 July 2019 via mobile

Sumba Adventure Resort

We spent a very relaxing week at Sumba Adventure Resort. We were met by Mark who would give us the daily updates with surf, wind and any special activities happening that day. Although they offer many activities : Stand Up Paddle, Wind Surfing, Diving, AVT... my partner chose to surf and I relax.
We had copious sunrise and sunset walks.
Adventures through the little villages and to close by beaches.
We met the very friendly locals who are either so excited to see you or scared and run crying from the Bula.
Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner are served to you in your bungalow. The food was delicious with lots of vegetarian dishes and mainly chicken for protein. Pls note there are really no other options around to get food elsewhere.
We stayed in the open beach bungalow at front with awesome views from the bed and chairs.
The stock your fridge with Bintang and refreshments and a big supply of fresh drinking water.
We got to see Dugong, Sea Stars, Octopus, Pig, Goats, Horses, Buffaloes, Chooks with No Salt Water Crocks in sight. ( as per a previous review).
We look forward to visiting again.
Thank you Mark and Cameron.

Date of stay: July 2019
1  Thank Shae111
Reviewed 9 January 2019

Well, to make it short - about everything that has been written about SAR is true, so to make things short - its amazing, go there !

If you have a bit more time, I´ll give you some more insight I experienced during my visit in December 2018

Getting there
Sumba is not exactly on the map of most people. Getting there is not that hard tough. There are 2 airports Tambolaka (TMC) and Waingapu (WGP). Make sure to fly into WGP since from there it´s only 2 hrs by car / 3hrs by bus versus 6-8 from TMC. Talk to the guys and they can either arrange a car pickup or recommend a bus. The bus is a bit of a hussle since you have to get from the airport to the bus station which can be quite a challenge with hardly any taxis around. Yes, it still is quite rustic there. Also, you´ll need some transport from the bus stop to the resort, I would recommend the car transfer.

The resort
There are 4 huts, 2 A-frames and 2 larger "beachfront" huts. I had the open bamboo hut which was amazing. Waking up in the morning and looking at the sea was wonderful. It is literally steps from the lagoon. The huts are close enough to interact with the other guests if you wish, however far enough if you don´t feel like doing so. Altough everything is quite open I never had the feeling of missing privacy, simply because there´s nobody.
Remember - it is not the Ritz. Everything is maintained and serviced very well, however you´ll end up having dirty feet, no matter how often you wash them, and it might get a bit warm since there is no AC. Took me a bit to get used to this but then I enjoyed it very much.

It is approx. 15 mins from the next "main road" where you´ll find some shops that sell basic stuff like food, cigarettes and so on. The

The people
Let´s start with the staff, altough I have a hard time calling them so. These wonderful people are super friendly and will make sure you enjoy the time at the resort, so I´ll rather call them friends.
Other guest were surfers when I was there. They enjoyed the empty endless beaches and beeing the only ones on the waves. Generally very laid back and relaxed this was the perfect crowd to unwind and have a great time with.

The food
If you book the meals package (strongly recommended) you´ll enjoy 3 meals per day.
Breakfast could be omlette (eggs from their own chicken), toast and fruit, lunch and dinner are most likely indonesian food containing rice (in allvarieties, steamed, ried...), vegetables, tofu, tempeh, chicken. Also they have a pizza oven where they make some of the best pizza I have tasted outside of Italy.
They´ll occasionally treat you to other goodies like a fish bbq (if they caught some) or a roasted pig which we enjoyed together with the families of the staff at christmas.
If you have special dietary needs they can definetly cater to that if you let them know well ahead of time. Most of the food is local and seasonal, there are no supermarkets so sourcing special foods can be time consuming.

What to do
There´s water...lot´s of it. Surfing is definetly one of their specialties, if you know how to surf they will guide you through the waves in the area, if you have no clue about surfing, they will make sure to teach you how to stand on that board (or drink half the ocean like I did). They have rental equipment for beginners and pros.
If you book the surfers package, they also will get you to the beaches/waves by either boat or 4x4.
Other activities include snorkeling, fishing, scuba diving (they´re still exploring the area, chances that nobody has ever dived there are high), stand up padeling or tearing up the beach with quads ore bikes.
Also, the huts all have sitting areas, and there are some hammocks at the beach, if you prefer doing close to no nothing.
Apart from that you can book reasonably priced daytrips to the waterfall.
Remember, some activities depend on the weather, if it has rained a lot the water will be claudy and you won´t see a thing snorkeling. Also if the tide is too low there will be no way getting out of the lagoon by boat. So I would recommend to let them know in advance what you´re planning to do and I bet they will give you an honest answer, if it is possible.

Health
Yep, Sumba is still a bit wild. My doctor told me there is Malaria on the island, so I took precautions. I would recommend checking your regular vaccinations.
In reality, I stopped using the mosquito net after a few days and wasn´t bitten by a single one. Due to the constant sea breeze, there were no mosquitos at all. However this could be different if you go further inlands. I would recommend to bring at least a bug spray, anything else is really up to your travel plans.
Crocodiles... yep, there are some living in the rivers. There is one wave which is close to a river and staff will tell you what to check for (tracks, crocodiles at the river etc.). Yes, it sounds scary, but if you follow a few rules, there´s nothing to worry about.

What else
It is a back to the basics experience. The lack of the comforts you´re normally used to (strong and stable WIFI, AC, TV etc.) will not be missed at all if you´re open to alternative distractions (e.g. having an ice cold beer watching the sun go down and looking for comic figures in the clouds). If you need constant distraction, nightlife and bars...don´t go there. If you want to enjoy a vacation free of stress and hassle, this is for you !

One last thing - yes they are listed on booking.com and agoda.com, but please book directly through their homepage ! There are so many options, also, you can discuss your wishes and expectations and thy can propose the best time to come. Also, the commision doesn´t go to some faceless company but to the people of Sumba, and trust me, they need it more !

Thanks for the great time guys, I´ll be back !

Date of stay: December 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
5  Thank BenCollateral
Reviewed 26 November 2018

Everything you can wish for if you need some loneliness after a couple of days/weeks in Bali!

Super friendly and helpful staff plus it is a beautiful and clean place!

We enjoyed every minute and would go back right away.
If you don't surf, it's probably not the best spot ;)

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 October 2018 via mobile

My partner and I recently spent 4 nights at Sumba Adventure Resort and had an amazing time! The long term resident there proved to be an excellent host and made sure we got the most out of our days. We were able to take full advantage of the fishing, surfing, paddle boards and AVTs and were never short of something to do - although it’s also the perfect spot for a relax! The beach hut was awesome with good views of the lagoon, and the food provided exceeded expectations, the girls in the kitchen did a great job!!

However...all visitors should be aware that there are salt water crocs living in the estuaries and ocean around the camp. Whilst surfing at the point we actually saw a croc in the water which was a pretty scary experience and were extremely lucky to be get away without being attacked. We also saw the tracks of two crocs across the beach from the river to the ocean 2km east of camp (see pics).

Following our stay we had a google and translated some Indonesian articles to find there have been many croc attacks in the area. Whilst we had been told by staff at Sumba Adventure Resort that there were some fresh water crocs living in the river, we had no warning about the salties. We got in touch with Cameron to give him a heads found him to have an attitude - extremely rude and dismissive in his response. Seemed he wants to keep the croc situation on the down low to avoid loosing business.

Date of stay: September 2018
4  Thank Unit2
IndoIrisCharters, Owner at Sumba Adventure Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2018

Kalala has been surfed without incident for over 30 years. The first surf resort opened up in 1996 'Mr Davids". There has not been a single incident involving a surfer and a croc. We surfor dive every day, the fact that we are still alive has probably got very much to do with the fact that we dont surf in Rivers or at night. Facts from a site called WORLDWIDE CROCODILIAN ATTACK DATABASE http://www.crocodile-attack.info/. We do tell all our guest about the crocs including these two guests. Obviously we dont have tracking beacons on them but the facts do point out that the danger zones are Rivers and Night time and in most incidence rivers at night time. This is a compilation of every reported attack on Sumba for the past 100 years.
June 1917:Wanakaka West River Night
Oct 2016:Malumbi village River 6:00 PM
Nov 2016:Tanakandungka River 7:00 PM
Feb 2017:Kadumbul village at around 9:30 PM
Apr 2017:Kambaniru River in Lambanapu village during the Night

Of these 15,every single attack was ether at night or in a River/estuary, mostly river and at night. 7 were fatal, 2 lost limbs and the other 6 were superficial wounds.

So those are the facts. We by no means withhold information from any of our guests. If we feel a situation is unsafe we will always let you know immediately . If adventure is not your thing, and you often find yourself craving a safe space, well then sorry to say but Sumba Adventure Resort is not for you.

Reviewed 3 October 2018 via mobile

The camp of Cameron, where mark helped us very fine, lies in the far south east of Sumba. A last bumpy mile from the mainland leads to our nice house. Lying directly at the beach. It is very quiet overthere , so you must entertain yourself. The place is good, clean, and a lot of sun. The beach is very good, we had it all for ourselves. We missed the entrence so have contact with them before you arrive. They always help you. There are other pretty empty beaches, good surfing spots and motorbikes available. Have a good time there, as we did.

Date of stay: October 2018