“Great zoo refuge”
Review of Zoorefugio Tarqui

Zoorefugio Tarqui
Reviewed 19 July 2016 via mobile

A fabulous place to see animals that have been rescued from the jungle. A good range of animals from pumas and jaguars to tapirs and monkeys. Definately worth a visit.

Reviewed 3 June 2016

Like the name of this place states, it is a sanctuary for abused animals and animals who were caught only to be sold on the black market. It is a really nice, spacious place with quite a lot of animals. I really enjoyed it! I met a volunteer from the US there and she said people from other countries could go and volunteer there! That must be an amazing experience!

1  Thank JuliaB6709
Reviewed 2 January 2016

We were traveling from Tena to Riobamba and stopped here for lunch and to see the zoo. If I didn´t have my GPS on my iPhone, I think this place would be hard to find as there are no signs in Puyo. As others have said here, I usually find zoos depressing but this place only has rescued animals and they seem to be well cared for. The restaurant for lunch was convenient, pleasant and reasonable. I especially enjoyed the fried yuca.

Reviewed 11 December 2015

The zoorefugio Tarqui will allow you to see many different animals, but the cages are not that big and they won't allow you to take good pictures.
The owners can speak a bit of English but most workers speak only Spanish.
There is also a swimming pool in the zoo (for which you pay extra), so if it is hot don't forget your swimming suit! Especially good for children. There is also a restaurant and the food tastes really good and is pretty cheap. Taste the Guayusa Lemonad, it is typical from here :-)

1  Thank Debora B
See more reviews
Reviewed 13 June 2015 via mobile

Pleasant place to spend an hour or two. I usually hate zoos, but this place seems set up with the welfare of the (apparently mostly rescued animals) to the fore.
It was an opportunity to see Amazonian animals which are rarely encountered by travellers....tapir, big cats, otters.
There is a modern clean swimming pool & change rooms you can use for a small fee as well as a reputedly good restaurant. I didn't eat there but one of the young volunteers staying/ working recommended it.
A nice bonus for birders - we saw a couple of "lifers" while we were walking around!