“Great!”
Review of Zoorefugio Tarqui

Zoorefugio Tarqui
Reviewed 3 June 2016

Like the name of this place states, it is a sanctuary for abused animals and animals who were caught only to be sold on the black market. It is a really nice, spacious place with quite a lot of animals. I really enjoyed it! I met a volunteer from the US there and she said people from other countries could go and volunteer there! That must be an amazing experience!

1  Thank JuliaB6709

Reviewed 2 January 2016

We were traveling from Tena to Riobamba and stopped here for lunch and to see the zoo. If I didn´t have my GPS on my iPhone, I think this place would be hard to find as there are no signs in Puyo. As others have said here, I usually find zoos depressing but this place only has rescued animals and they seem to be well cared for. The restaurant for lunch was convenient, pleasant and reasonable. I especially enjoyed the fried yuca.

Reviewed 11 December 2015

The zoorefugio Tarqui will allow you to see many different animals, but the cages are not that big and they won't allow you to take good pictures.
The owners can speak a bit of English but most workers speak only Spanish.
There is also a swimming pool in the zoo (for which you pay extra), so if it is hot don't forget your swimming suit! Especially good for children. There is also a restaurant and the food tastes really good and is pretty cheap. Taste the Guayusa Lemonad, it is typical from here :-)

1  Thank Debora B
Reviewed 13 June 2015 via mobile

Pleasant place to spend an hour or two. I usually hate zoos, but this place seems set up with the welfare of the (apparently mostly rescued animals) to the fore.
It was an opportunity to see Amazonian animals which are rarely encountered by travellers....tapir, big cats, otters.
There is a modern clean swimming pool & change rooms you can use for a small fee as well as a reputedly good restaurant. I didn't eat there but one of the young volunteers staying/ working recommended it.
A nice bonus for birders - we saw a couple of "lifers" while we were walking around!

See more reviews
Reviewed 29 December 2014

I found this place on TRipadvisor. There are about 2-3 more "Animal Rescue Centers" I saw around Puyo and did not go in, and this was my first, so I don't really have anything to compare it it but we stopped on our way to Jatun Sacha in Misahualli. My teen daughter wants to work with animals some day so it was a mission for her to see and envision what it would be like to volunteer here. The volunteers we talked to chatted with us a while and described their duties and how it was there. They have loud exotic birds, cats (pumas etc), monkeys, and other animals I cannot remember. They really are doing a nice job of keeping the grounds nice and habitats safe and real like for the animals. They explained they tried to release a monkey but it came back (guess it wasn't ready to go to the wild yet).
There was a nice smelling and looking restaurant on hand and a nice looking pool. We did not do either of these. It is worth a stop if you are in Puyo.

1  Thank Kris A