All reviews salad pizza hot water ethiopian reception
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Safe, reasonably clean, decent internet, working AC, complimentary laundry, complimentary bug spray, 24 hour power, good restaurant and lively bar. It is hard to ask for more in a place like Juba.
The staff spoke good English and were eager to help. The breakfast buffet was acceptable with varying dishes throughout the week.
My room was a bit noisy at night and had a search light just outside the window. But I got used to that quickly. Satellite television did not work, but there were a couple of cable channels with news and the world cup. In spite of independent water heaters in each room hot water was in short supply in the evenings, but generally ok in the morning.
In summary, I would stay at the Rainbow again when I go to Juba.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a regular key instead of a card. The cards were problematic. Also ask to see the room before making your mind up. The quality between rooms varies.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Daniel E
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I stayed at the Rainbow hotel for a week, which was quite long enough for me. The rooms, although small and most of them without any cupboards were clean. The was a nice size TV in the room but only about 5 satelite channels. Al rooms have aircon which work well. The mattress's on the beds were extremely hard and the room can do with a bit of an upgrade, especially some of the bathrooms. The shower basin in my room was completely rusted through and therefore posted a health hazard. The hotel restaurant had real good pizza and nice cuppachino. All the staff was also extremely friendly and helpfull. Overall this place have a lot of potential and I think it is one of the bettter places to stay in Juba. Would just like to see management upgrade a bit.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank AldeenvanderWalt
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I managed to return to Juba and stayed in the Rainbow for the last 2 nights. My company made a mistake with the booking, so I had to wait for a room to be available. The hotel looks to be full all the time. Word has got around that it is one of the better places to stay.

I was in one of the ground floor rooms nearer reception. Whilst not quite as good as what I had before, it was more than adequate. The aircon was effective, it was clean and lots of channels on the TV. The shower could have done with a service to get rid of some lime scale.

The food in the restaurant was excellent as before, especially the pizza. Service was good too. I have knocked the rating down to 4 this time as there is a severe fly problem in the outdoor seating areas. Some electric zappers are in urgent need.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank davestly
Reviewed 24 December 2013

I was on a UN assignment in South Sudan for eight weeks during September-October 2013, and was booked at the Rainbow Hotel. There was not much information available about the hotel on the internet and I was a bit apprehensive about the place. But from the moment I checked-in at the hotel it was like coming home. I was initially given a room on the ground floor but on my request for a quieter accommodation, I was promptly relocated to room 244. I must compliment the manager, Michael, and the staff, both at the reception and in the restaurant, for their professionalism and excellent hospitality. This jewel in a fragile country is greatly under-rated. Having travelled all over the world, I must say that the hotel standard of service and attention to guest's requirements and comfort greatly exceeds the standards of most five star hotels that I have stayed in. The rooms were clean and comfortable, with very good internet and DSTV. For me, the hotel was like a second home. I hope to go back to Juba some day again and this would be my hospitality destination in that city. Saeed Akhtar

Room Tip: Rooms in the new block are larger and brighter and have a balcony.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank saeedakhtar
Reviewed 20 December 2013

I stayed for 6 nights until I was evacuated by the UK FCO. The hotel is one of the better places in town, being central. The rooms are perfectly adequate and clean. My room had DSTV with all the premium channels available. Very useful when I was stuck in the hotel for 3 days. Power was provided from generators and was normally on 24 hours, apart from one day where they needed to conserve fuel for the night. Internet worked quite well in the rooms. The bed was a bit hard, but the sheets were new and clean. The bar/restaurant provided good food (Ethiopian and international) and cold beer.

The staff really were excellent. Half way though my stay, fighting started in Juba and there were gun battles outside the hotel. A curfew was put in place from 6PM. The staff stayed and looked after guests admirably. The staff must have slept at the hotel somewhere. A few things ran out at the restaurant - not the beer thankfully, but overall they deserve a 5 star review. I have been in a similar situation in Burkina Faso. There the staff just abandoned us.

Overall, I would certainly recommend this as a good place to stay in Juba. The room rate was $100 per night.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business