“Just what I needed”

Wilsons Abel Tasman
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Vista Cruise, Water Taxi, Walk, Sea Kayak Abel Tasman National Park, guided and independent Combinations to suit you, year-round. A family business welcoming visitors since 1841! Options from 2 hours to 5 days. Overnight at Torrent Bay Lodge or Meadowbank Homestead – Awaroa on the beachfront within Park boundaries. Ensuite accommodation, fine food, no heavy packs to carry. Travel with multiple NZ Tourism Award winners. Let us take care of the details while you switch off and enjoy.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Food available for purchase
London, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Just what I needed”
Reviewed 18 February 2012

I booked onto the Wilsons Abel Tasman 3 day walk to get away from the city for a bit, see a great part of the country and also to tune out the brain and I got more than that little tick list.

I am truly spoilt for camping again, Wilsons met me at the airport bang on the time they said they would, my bag was taken and put into the truck by the nice staff member. We were a small group and of that small group only 6 would do the whole track walking, others kayaked day 2 and 3.

After sorting my suitcase into a lodge bag and my mobile phone was left behind (my choice as wanted to truly get away but you can get signal on the tracks in places) we were off to Kai Teri Teri super quick for the ferry to the first stop. Inspecting the lunch bag given I knew we were off to a great start, foody heaven. all thoughts of losing some weight on the trip gone and this was true the whole trip breakfasts that had cereal, fruit, tea/toast and a cooked part. Lunch bags that more than covered your requirements plus some for the next days and the dinners were brilliant.

On the ferry ride to Totaranui I got to know my fellow group members a mix of kiwi, English, Swedish and Candian oh and two from Guernsey. Wilsons give you a cup to use on the trip, and to keep after along with your lodge bag, this cup gets you free hot drinks on the boat and there are also snacks available to purchase but you won't need to do that as there is heaps in your lunch bag.

Nothing better after a long days walking to arrive at accommodation and be welcomed by smiley staff. your bag waiting and not only a great room with all home comforts, including electric blankets, but hot water for a super shower.

My favourite lodge was on day one where you stay at the Meadowbank Homestead, I just wanted to stop here and hope to one day return for more than a one night stay. Just beautiful, great modern bathrooms, plenty of hot water, fantastic food (salmon followed by lemon tart and ice cream!)

Being a solo I was concerned about who I would be walking with but everyone was lovely, all staff made me feel welcomed and comfortable and the guide Marios made sure we went at a good pace for our group.

Also being a solo I was a bit perturbed that at the first overnight stop I could only order a whole bottle of wine ($23 for the one I ordered great price) not normally a big drinker I thought oh well I am on holiday and write it off, its not over inflated prices after all. Marios came to find me in the morning to see if I wanted my wine bottle put in my boat bag to go to the next lodge, super, wine for dinner on night two as well :0)

I am now spoilt forever, I am now a fully fledged pamper tramper and cannot rate Wilsons trip highly enough, I'm looking forward to when friends/family visit to NZ and I can go do this trip again.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank KikiBNZ
DJWAbelTas, Wilson whanau at Wilsons Abel Tasman, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
Thank you for your lovely review. Our Guides work hard to make sure groups of all ages, interests and backgrounds find their ideal holiday. Marios is delighted he was able to make your holiday so enjoyable. Although we love to show you how comfortable a wilderness experience can be, we hope you can still enjoy some camping in future.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Spokane
97 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 173 helpful votes
“Exceptionally well organized tours of Abel Tasman National Park”
Reviewed 16 February 2012

I went on a guided two day/one night hike along the Abel Tasman coastal track with Wilsons. Most people do a three day/two nights package with them, but I wanted to do only two days due to time contraints and so they set me up to meet with an existing 3 day hiking group on day two of their hike. Everything was so well organized, I did not have to worry about a thing. If you stay in Nelson like I did, they will send you a small bag for your overnight belongings and then pick you up at your accomodation and take you out to the track by boat. Your belongings in the small overnight bag will be brought out the lodge(s) you will be hiking to and staying at for the night. All you have to do is carry a day pack. Everything is included in the tour price with the exception of alcohol, which you can purchase at the lodges at night. You pay your alcohol bill at their office in Motukea, where you will be brought to at the conclusion of your trip. They request that you fill out a trip evaluation form if you wish. There is also the option of kayaking along the coast and staying in the lodge(s) at night. If you wish to do just a day hike, they will take you out by boat to where you want to start hiking and then pick you up at another point later, Recommended.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank TheBirdSpokane
Sorry your time constraints didn’t allow you to spend more time with us, and we’re delighted you had the time to write us a great review. We’d love to see again for a longer stay.
Wellington, New Zealand
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Excellent 3 days in the park, hiking and boating”
Reviewed 7 February 2012

An excellent experience. The park is wonderful however it is challenging for someone new to the area. Unless you are prepared to commit to a lot of advance planning, for a first visit I highly recommend the Wilsons multi-day package. Guides are knowledgeable. Accommodation and food are great. The company and staff are flexible in trying to meet your needs. And the park itself is very special. This is very good value for what you get and an excellent introduction to the park.

2 Thank KEI1951
HLHAbeltas, Team member at Wilsons Abel Tasman, responded to this review, 8 February 2012
Thank you for writing a great review for us. We're glad we could help you enjoy our favourite place.
Florida
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Impressive - the only way to experience Abel Tasman”
Reviewed 6 February 2012

From guide to accomodations to food to overall arrangements, this is one of the best experiences we had in New Zealand. We took the 3 day, 2 night hike. John was a terrific, very knowledgeable guide. Accomodations were better than we expected - not fancy but more than just basic. Pack lunches were substantial, with lots of variety. Breakfasts (hot or cold) and dinners in the lodges were excellent. The hiking was what we were used to - not overly difficult, but not for the inexperienced. There were two 15-17 km, days. The tides were in our favor, so we didnt' have to wade through too much water. Note that Wednesday's trip goes from south to north, so we were hiking on the first day and took the boat back on the last day (if you care about the direction, pay attention to the website).

Visited January 2012
Thank you for describing a trip with us so well. We never have a problem with over-stating how great our Guides are but we do find it difficult to explain the standard of our food and accommodation, and comparing fitness levels. So thank you for translating ease, comfort and fine food for us. We're glad you enjoyed your trip with us.
Wellington, New Zealand
“Fantastic way to see our own country”
Reviewed 4 February 2012

Went on the 5 day guided walking tour of the Abel Tasman - loved the trip which was made so enjoyable by the Wilson's crew - friendly and knowledgeable guides who looked after all needs of the group throughout the whole time. And the lodge staff and chefs - comfortable lodges to relax and sleep in each night and excellent food selection each day. The walk was divided into easily manageable chunks and allowed time to enjoy the beautiful scenery for which this part of NZ is famous for.

Visited January 2012
We're so glad you enjoyed your trip with us. Our aim is to make sure you have a great time but we don't want to take over your holiday. Thank you for telling us we have found the balance for New Zealanders as well as our overseas visitors.