“Huge meals, nice beer, lovely people.”
Review of Beamish Mary Inn

Beamish Mary Inn
Ranked #3 of 6 Stanley B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 December 2017

Stayed 2 nights to visit the museum. Handy bus stop outside the pub reasonable bus service museum 5 minutes ride away and goes right to entrance, save on entry by showing your bus ticket.
Food was good had dumplings and mince it was huge.
Room was basic but adequate.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jon B

Reviewed 21 November 2017

We stayed here for 2 nights with the purpose of visiting the nearby Beamish Museum. From walking in the door we were met with warmth & friendliness that set the tone for the remainder of the stay until we left this morning.
We were upgraded from twin room to a family room which was more than expected - spacious, clean and warm with everything you need for a stay inc tea & coffee facilities. Beds were wonderfully comfortable.
Meals in the Beamish Mary - what can I say but wow! All home made & cooked to order and honestly you could share one meal and still feel well fed! Same with the cooked breakfast (inc in the price)- absolutely no skimping on portions unlike many corporate chains - and limitless tea & coffee - and beautifully cooked on both mornings.
Mine host Simon was extremely affable and very knowledgeable about the area. He was wonderfully charming with his anecdotes about the pub and it's many characters. This brings us onto the locals who made us feel so welcome from the moment we arrived. From little Dylan's parents who chatted to us & gave us tips about Beamish to the mad crowd of rabbit people who were so lovely in their graciousness in including us in their weekly gathering and made us laugh so much! Each and everyone of them contributed to our short break away being fabulous - thank you so much!
Parking was no problem which we find can often be an issue and finding No Place is exceptionally easy and well sign posted.
I would suggest if you're a hardy type walking to the museum from Beamish Mary during the summer would be quite lovely - otherwise its just minutes in car or catch the bus that stops near the pub.
If you are looking for a good old fashioned B&B with no frills attached but oozing with quality and friendliness then this is the place for you! We have every intention of returning to explore more of the area.
Thank you Simon & all the staff at Beamish Mary for making my birthday break away everything I wished for!

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Sally C, Manager at Beamish Mary Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 days ago

Thank you for your lovely review. It means so much to all the staff to know that people have enjoyed their stay with us, and we look forward to welcoming yous back next time your in the area

Reviewed 26 October 2017

We stayed here in October as we were attending a friends wedding nearby. The staff couldn’t have been more helpful ad friendly.
The rooms were spacious and very clean, we had a full English for breakfast and it was very good.
We would definitely stay here again if the opportunity arose

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2017

We chose this place because of the location and reviews. Wasn't disappointed in any aspect as I wasn't looking to live there and only needed a place for 2 nights. Excellent staff, decor is interesting and inline with museum. Fantastic painting on the wall. Check in is simple and efficient. I had a few questions as I'm not used to this type of stay but they were answered in a satisfactory way and what I had hoped for.

Food is excellent! I ordered dumpling and mince,that's all I was expecting, wow! LARGE dumpling, loads of mince, chips, mash, vegetables on separate plate - I have a good appetite but couldn't finish it. Next night was surf and turf. Steak n scampi for one and was split between 2, cooked perfect. Breakfast included sets you up for the day though not a plateful. Extra toast if needed.

It's not 5* so don't expect it. It is down to earth what you see is what you get. I'm a Yorkshire man and will recommend this place to anyone wanting to see the history of Yorkshire and above. Obviously there are locals in the pub and they are just as sociable as the staff, It's called No Place for a reason ;-) You will not be disappointed unless you want looking after hand and foot. If that's the case then look elsewhere, I WILL return again as the museum is having additions and I would like to see them.

Personal credit to Simon (gaffer) ALL the staff, can't remember everyone's name sorry.

For a day or 2 it is absolutely excellent.

Room Tip: I only stayed in one room on the main road and it was very quiet
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2017 via mobile

Me and my fiancé are currently visiting his mum in Stanley, which makes the Beamish Mary Inn our local for the month. And what a lovely pub, beautifully English styled. Derek had the mince and dumpling which was huge, all portions were big and delicious

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stanley
1.7 km away
3.6 km away
Riding Farm
Riding Farm
#2 of 10 in Gateshead

Been to Beamish Mary Inn? Share your experiences!