1,461 results
All reviews garden room steam railway roll top bath voucher deal bottle of prosecco two night stay both nights lovely hotel patio doors strathspey railway loch garten four poster bed both mornings a bit tired open fire enjoyable stay relaxing break
Reviewed 21 November 2017

I cannot think of a worse hotel that I have ever stayed in. It was so bad it almost became funny. We booked in for two nights B&B and elected to have dinner on the first evening. The room was termed deluxe and it was almost OK despite lack of tissues and tumblers, oh and hot water. I cut my toe on a cracked tile in the bathroom that could easily have been fixed. But the real problems started at breakfast. The cereal bowls were dirty or at least the first four were so I didn't bother. The cutlery appeared to have dishwasher marks on most items but when I wiped them on my napkin - a dirty mark was left. A row of teapots beside the empty water urn vied for most dirty in room - all dull sticky and unsavoury looking. We ordered our cooked breakfast and then the fun began. The young woman serving the table looked embarrassed as she put the plates down. Mine was wrong, my wife's inedible. No problem taking them away. The next lot was worse and frankly I have never seen such bad plates of food. I gave up at that stage and just asked for the plate to be removed. My wife persevered and when the fifth plate arrived she was able to pick at a few bits of it.I went out for breakfast elsewhere. It is just inconceivable that any one could make such a mess of breakfast. We did complain, although we do that very rarely and find it stressful. When we came back in the late afternoon our deluxe bedroom had been 'done'. The duvet had been pulled up squint and left. Other than that the bed hadn't been touched. The pillows were as we left them and there were two big bum marks on the bed where the cleaners had watched a bit of telly to recover from their endeavours. The bath had not been cleaned, no soap and the shampoo etc was gone. The carpet had required hovering but wasn't. It was a really poor show. The general manager did apologise and deducted the cost of dinner( which was the best part of the stay despite two large TVs showing some sport and rock music competing) and wine from the bill but although a gesture it was far from mending the damage. All of these problems could be addressed with ease and some leadership. Heads should be hung in shame that this is what is dished up to visitors to this wonderful part of the country.

Room Tip: keep well away from this hotel
10  Thank reelandjig
Reviewed 20 November 2017

An enjoyable four-day stay. The hotel has a relaxed, friendly atmosphere, and is in a lovely little village. Ate in the bar each evening - good value and quality. Breakfast could be improved, but was OK. Will be back.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 November 2017 via mobile

Booked late in the afternoon on Booking.com and got B&B for £44. I guess I would be disappointed if I had paid full price, it's a bit tatty here and there, carpets worn and showing signs of age, but fine for a one night stop. Didn't eat at the hotel, chose to wander to Andersons Restaurant which is only a five minute walk down the road

Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 November 2017

This hotel offers good value for money and is ideally situated to explore the Highlands of Scotland along with Loch Ness and the Great Glen. Only 45 minutes from Inverness Airport with many good golf courses within easy reach. With a few little tweaks this could quite easily become a 5 star review. The beds were extremely comfortable but were let down by the pillows which were hard and lumpy and only about 2 inches thick. The food in the bar and/or restaurant was good but I would classify as basic pub food rather than gastropub food, although the specials on the Saturday night were excellent. (Perhaps specials like this should appear every night!!). Breakfast could not really have been better with a large selection of hot food although I would have expected to see kippers on the menu. I could moan about the threadbare carpet on the stairs but this was minor, the room itself was in excellent condition as was its bathroom, but no soap was provided!! All in all value for money but could and perhaps should become a 5 star review. The staff were incredibly welcoming and service was excellent. The corridors leading to the bedrooms could be confusing with many twists and turns.

Room Tip: Don't go for a room with a skylight as there are no shades for them
Reviewed 6 November 2017

We have stayed and eaten here before to much satisfaction. However, on this occasion we were disappointed. This is a gorgeous Victorian Hotel and will never be a "Country Inn". A country inn should be cosy, chintzy and have a "home from home" look and feel. All they have done here is stripped back and tried to make this commercial. It feels empty and unloved. A "pub with rooms". God help us if that were the case. This is not a pub with rooms. This is a grand old lady who is not being looked after.
The dining experience is fairly brewers fayre menu with better quality food. If you are not sitting in the bar area there are some chairs and couches in the reception hallway but no lounge. So your only other option is to sit in your room - oops cant do that as there are no chairs! So we had an early night.

I was looking forward to my bath after a week of showers - oops, they forgot to clean the bath (discovered this when I got into it ) which was scummy with a display of pubes - not nice. The room apart from that was clean and well painted except for the dust on the black lamp bases. No welcome pack, no phone for dialling reception. No check in / out, breakfast instructions. The room very much lacked personality. My pet hate two zip locked single beds was on offer - not good for a couple. Slept well enough tho.
Breakfast was ok - no choice of teabags, no milk jugs for the tables, no jam only marmalade, no clean cutlery - all gritty. The women's toilets were yukky - soap dispenser with old crystalised soap. Weird marks on the wall where the sanitary bucket is.
So not an inn but a hotel which has let it standards slip.
By the way, this hotel does not cater for families - there is not a family room / lounge. Also I do not appreciate the waiter wearing a kilt when he is not even Scottish.

Room Tip: Ask for a room round the back or mountain view