All reviews frozen river husky safari ice fishing northern lights reindeer farm aurora zone cross country skiing ice hotel the hotel staff great fun aurora borealis extra activities fantastic adventure cold meats outer clothing kittila airport options for vegetarians
Reviewed 12 August 2018 via mobile

The Hotel is nice, clean, comfortable, quite.
The Crew is excellent, super nice and welcome, in the hotel reception and in the restaurant.
But the food in the restaurant is really something special!!! Highly recommend!!!
Thank you!

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2018

We went on a 5-day husky safari with Piita, the best guide you could wish for! We first stayed one night at Hotel Harriniva which offered all the comfort you need. The safari was one of the best experience we've had so far! The organisation was simply extraordinary! The only downside were the last two nights after the safari. We stayed at Hotel Jeris, which is part of the group, but nobody told us that we would stay in a chalet with our whole group of 7 people and with only one key! Luckily we all got along very well and had a pleasant stay.

Stayed: January 2018
Reviewed 7 June 2018

Emailed Harriniva to enquire about the 8D7N Best of Lapland programme super last minute, only a week before it started, fortunately there was availability so I booked directly with them. Ans was the one who helped me book, I had a lot of things I wanted to clarify and she answered all my enquiries promptly, only thing was a small mistake about the Aurora Dome, was informed that dinner will be at Hotel Jeris but the domes are actually based and so the meals are in Torrassieppi.

Airport transfers are included which are convenient as I was travelling solo. The programme is adult only and maximum 12 people in a group, I was lucky as there were only 5 of us that week so we got to know each other well and moved a lot faster.

ACCOMMODATION
Will write a separate review on the aurora dome, in short, really nice stay and certainly do recommend.

Ice rooms at the Winter Village, I wanted to stay for a night as well for the novelty but was glad I didn't book in advance and decided to wait till I arrived to check it out first. The ice rooms are quite plain in terms of the 'decor' so personally I don't think it's worth it. Also with all the adventures, needed a proper bed and sleep every night to recoup.

Stayed at Harriniva for 5 nights, I wasn't sure what room is given to solo travelers, but it was one of the standard rooms with 3 single beds. Amazed how the temperature is just right in the room at all times, can open 2 small windows to let air flow in and never felt stuffy. Room and toilet are basic but clean, bed comfy enough and nice hot shower, slept well. There's hairdryer but no kettle in room. Cleaning service needs to be requested. Wifi was a bit spotty in room and not fast enough for uploading videos to cloud storage, fine for other things. There's 2 sauna, a bar and a gift shop.

For the overnight on the 2-day husky safari, we stayed in a rustic cabin by the lake with bunk beds, there is no electricity but not a problem and I love the secludedness. A separate sauna where can take a basic shower. Toilet is a dry one behind the cabin.

FOOD
Meals are decent and was well fed. Breakfast, lunch, starter and dessert for dinner are buffet style, then 2 choices (1 meat and 1 vegetarian) for main each night. Main and desert were all different each night for the whole week. Always a selection of salad, bread and cheese. Also large selection of tea bags + choco powder for hot drinks. A lot of homey comfort kind of food and soup. The farewell dinner with the Lappish dishes were a lovely treat.

WINTER CLOTHING
The overall and boots are great. It wasn't that cold during the time I went as it was beginning of April, so I only needed a thermal base and a fleece underneath the overall. They also provided socks and gloves, I didn't wear them and preferred using my own. Also a Balaclava.

ACTIVITIES
Now this is the most important aspect for me, I choose this package mainly because I wanted to try all the Lapland activities and they did not disappoint.

Snowmobile - 5* Started with a video then our guide Darren took the time and patiently gave us very clear instructions, then off we went. I was nervous and took a while before I felt in control, I was the last one and lost the group soon after we set off and panicked a bit, but I just carried on slowly until I caught up with them eventually. We drove like 2.5 hours with 2-3 short stops, then lunch cooked in a lavvu? which was awesome, then another 2.5 hours back. Those travelling with others will take turns in driving, solo travellers will drive their own. This is not the little drive-for-an-hour taster, we drove over 100km and literally a whole day of adrenaline rush. It was also great that there's safety measure, the snowmobile is set to a maximum limit of 70km/hour to begin with which put my mind at ease, then in the afternoon, can up it to 100km/hour in the afternoon if you like. Drove through woods, over frozen lakes, up a hill. Despite my rocky start, I really enjoyed it.

Reindeer - 4* The reindeer sleigh ride was cute and peaceful, felt like a little kid. Also enjoyed learning about Sammi life, culture and reindeer herding. Wish we have a bit more time with the reindeer.

Overnight Husky Safari - 5* This was another highlight of the week. After checking out that morning and leaving luggage in storage, we watched an instructional video then our guide, Marianne explained instructions further before meeting our team of huskies. Each person has a team of 4 huskies. We were shown how to put on the harness, the huskies have such different personalities, most are going nuts with excitement, mine were really timid and quiet. The ride was slower than I thought and easy to control, lots of time to actually take in and enjoy the scenery. Then lunch kind of in the middle of nowhere, amazing how they built a fire and then managed to cook us hot sandwiches. Arrived the cabin mid-afternoon, we split into teams to do the chores - fetch water, chop up frozen meat for the huskies and clean up dog poo etc. Don't mind at all as all part of the experience.

Snowshoe and Sauna - 4* There are 2 free days on the programme, for the 1st free day, Darren suggested and we agreed to head over to Hotel Jeris, we snowshoe'd through the woods, then used their indoor jacuzzi and sauna facilities, a few of us went outside for a dip in the frozen lake. The hot and cold work wonders for sore muscles, I felt so relaxed afterwards. 55 Euros for this day trip.

Additional Snowmobile Private Tour - 5** On the other free day, I really wanted to do the snowmobile again. Was worried it couldn't be arranged as normally minimum 4 people but it was only me. Darren was kind enough to check and I was so glad he managed to squeeze me in for a morning private tour. 225 Euros for 2 hours which I find reasonable (taking into account it was a private tour just for me and the normal minimum is 560 Euros for 4). You can choose a fast speed tour. I chose to go at relaxing pace and stop for pictures, love that went off the beaten track.

Outdoor Jacuzzi - 5* I had almost a whole extra day as my departure flight was in the evening, so I booked a slot for the private outdoor jacuzzi to unwind and wrap up the Lapland week. 75 Euros for 2 hours, maximum for 4 people, a bit pricey but such a treat sitting in the tub surrounded by snow and looking out to the frozen lake. I thought I will spend an hour max at the jacuzzi and then use the sauna but I stayed for more than 1.5 hours. Highly recommend!

STAFF
When I arrived really early in the morning at Torrassieppi, the staff got all my details and took the initiative to explain the area and also let me know the schedule for the week and transfer arrangement to Harriniva the next morning. Staff at Harriniva was overall friendly and helpful. Marianne is a great guide and Darren is simply awesome.

OVERALL
- They have a detailed file on their website and I like that they list the single supplement for solo travellers clearly and I don't have to email to enquire. There is single supplement for room and the snowmobile. Almost everything is included in the package. Extra activities on the free days are optional. As I arrived early and departed late, I also paid extra for 2 lunches which were not included, think they are 10-15 Euros each. I did see packages of other places which are quite a bit more expensive for something similar, I think Harriniva is great for those who rather splurge on activities than fancy accommodation.
- In short, action packed week with so many highlights! The programme is really well run and amazing for those who want to try all the different activities but in more depth, not just tasters. I was impressed how organised they are, everything run like clockwork.
- Great that they arrange transfers for whichever flights you choose to take, no need to wait long at the airport.
- As for Muonio area, I was a tad worried after booking as it seems that most people head to Rovaniemi or Ivalo, but as soon as I arrived, I love it as I prefer places that is not jam packed with tourists. I wanted nice scenery which you can find in a lot of places as the lakes and forests are all over the country, I cannot see the fuss about Santa Claus village and the less tourists the better it is for me, so Harriniva ticked all these boxes.
- I also like that there is a small town within walking distance from the hotel, takes about an hour one way. There are 2 supermarkets there, I forgot to bring an external hard drive and was my pulling my hair out, fortunately found USB fingers for sale there. Our group also took a walk and crossed the bridge over to Sweden.
- The only thing was lady aurora not cooperating for all 7 nights but not Harriniva's fault obviously.

TIPS
- No need to decide and pre-book activities for the free days, can wait till after arrival to see how things are going first. But for aurora dome, better to prebook as there are only 4 of them.
- I only went out 1 night to look for aurora, if you plan to this, best to take a nap before dinner as otherwise will be knackered.
- Having read earlier reviews, I brought a small kettle, hot choco drink sachets and honey, nice to have a hot drink at night in the room. Wish I also bring a small thermal flask and filled it with a hot drink at breakfast, I got thirsty during the snowmobile and husky excursions, you will get drinks at lunch so not a huge problem.
- A thin pair of mobile gloves will be very useful.
- Bring a head lamp and games for overnight on the 2-day husky safari.
- Spare batteries for GoPro and camera, put them close to body to avoid excessive draining in the cold. They have base clips for GoPro cameras on certain helmuts for the snowmobile, so get one of those if required, bring a standard clip to mount it on.
- There is basic shampoo and shower gel, ladies probably wish to bring their own set of toiletries.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
5  Thank missvontravels
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

This place is amazing. The staff are super friendly, very professional and highly organised. The activities are led by experienced guides who cater to the customer wants and needs. This place is truly a must for the adventure seeking traveller.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2018

Just back from a week at Harriniva Hotel, Muonio, Finland. We were on the Best of Lapland holiday so a full on week of action. The hotel staff were all friendly and cheerful, happy to help with requests. There was a really big selection on the food buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner - you won't go hungry. The bar is a great meeting place and the local house beer is very drinkable. The hotel sauna is a must, plenty of room to spread out and you can keep your modesty by wearing a costume/trunks if you wish to. The ice hotel is worth a visit but we preferred the comfort of a cosy room so we didn't spend the night outside! There is an ice dipping pool for those brave enough to try it.
If you want a of Finland and the wild then this is a trip for you. We had a 2 day day overnight huskie safari, you are very hands on with the dogs who are generally well behaved. The guides work hard to make sure you have a good time and make sure you are well fed. The reindeer farm visit is a gentle day out and very informative about the sammi way of life and the family who changed the way of reindeer hearding The snowmobile safari is hard core and speed junkies will certainly enjoy a full day out. We covered over 100k and travelled through foresrs, over frozen lakes and made it to the top of the ski resort. Our final day involved a 2 hour snow shoe walk through the forest and over the frozen lake, an hours cross County ski taster followed by some relaxation in the spa and sauna at the Jeris Hotel. Be warned the smoke sauna is very dark inside, the smoke can get in your lungs and the wooden slats are so hot you can burn your feet, backside or arms!! Would certainly recommend Harriniva for those looking for something a little different when it comes to winter activities.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple