“Amazing tour to experience Lapland”

Lights Over Lapland
Nightly Aurora Photo Tour in Abisko National Park
Ranked #1 of 13 things to do in Abisko
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Lights Over Lapland is a rapidly growing company that specializes in helping people from all over the world see and photograph the magical aurora borealis in Abisko National Park, Sweden. We offer a full range of adventures including five-day all inclusive aurora photo expeditions, nightly aurora photo trips with all camera gear provided and virtually any customizable aurora holiday that you can imagine. We are proud of the fact that we were the first aurora photo tour in Abisko National Park.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We had joined the 4-night tour and were very lucky to see the aurora for two nights. Our tour guide, Oliver, is very professional in photography and experienced in catching the aurora. He had shared many interesting stories when he stayed in Abisko which helped me to gain more understanding in the area apart from enjoying the aurora. I had captured many beautiful photos which I never thought I could achieve without the guide knowledge and good equipment provided.

The accommodation is very cozy and clean. Our room and every corner of the common area can see nice views over Abisko. The meals provided, especially dinners, are of a high standard and emphasize the use of fresh local ingredients. Also, I appreciate their special effort to take care of my food allergy condition to arrange the meals.

All in all, the tour is a very good experience, not only we fulfill the purpose to see the aurora, but we enjoy the culture, activities, people during our stay with Lights Over Lapland. Definitely worth my recommendation if any of my family or friends are interested to see aurora in future.

All reviews
in 18 reviews
"dancing lights"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 5 April 2018

My wife has been wanting to see the Northern Lights for years and was finally able to fulfill her dream and check it off her bucket list with our trip to Abisko. That sounds as if I was ambivalent about the trip, which is not true; this was one of the most enjoyable and memorable experiences that I have ever had. From the get go, the folks at Lights over Lapland were responsive, helpful, informative, and thoroughly professional in helping to set up the trip. Upon arrival, the professionalism continued with transportation and getting checked in at the hotel. The first night, our guide Oliver (who is a professional photographer) briefed our group and went into the technical details of photographing the aurora and the use of the camera equipment. His explanations were detailed and in sufficiently simple terms that least experienced photographer among us could make the best use of the equipment. After the briefing and getting all our gear together, we went out and there it was. The aurora was starting to be visible just as we walked out. We had an excellent and productive evening of viewing and photographing the aurora with lots of help from Oliver (and of course the hot lingonberry juice to warm us up periodically). So, the very first night met our expectations and fulfilled our dream, but we were lucky enough to see the most amazing display on the 4th night. It was as advertised--stupendous!! The aurora "danced" for us eliciting "ooohs and aaaaws" that were not even close to describing the experience. Although the aurora was the ultimate experience, I would be remiss without mentioning the dogsledding that LoL set up for us. We are dog lovers and thoroughly enjoyed mixing with and playing with the sled dogs and seeing their boundless energy. Nothing like gliding over the snow behind 10 happy and inexhaustible animals doing what they seem to love to do.Every time we stopped, the dogs would howl and raise a ruckus as if to say "Let's go". We came home with more than 200 great photos, but more than that, we came home with wonderful memories of a long desired experience. I highly recommend Lights Over Lapland and would gladly return for another amazing experience.

1  Thank Gourmand38
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

I booked this photo tour because I didn’t have the camera to capture the Aurora but very unlucky because it was very cloudy that night & no sightings at all. Eventhough we didn’t see it I still enjoyed this tour. Harry, our guide is very nice & he made the night enjoyable w his stories while having lingonberry juice & marshmallow. Everyone had a great time sharing stories inside the teepee hut while waiting for the skies to clear up. It was still a great experience & will recommend it when going to Abisko.

Reviewed 30 March 2018

Im lucky enough to have hunted the aurora twice with Lights over lapland .. and each time Ive been lucky enough to see a 'show'!
The photographers who lead the groups are knowledgable, passionate about their subject and kind especially important for me as each time I have taken children with me. Their passion fuelled my childrens own interest in photography so much so that both are now studying the subject at school. our group both times was a mix of experienced and beginner photographers and everyone were catered for. I would thoroughly recommend this trip even if you are an experienced photographer as the company know the best places in the National Park to head to in order to get the most interesting shots.

See more reviews
Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

I had an amazing time with the Lights Over Lapland team, starting from the helpful Lotta who patiently answered my questions over email to the friendly and upbeat photography guides Harrry and Chris!

I booked 4 nights of photography tour (2 nights of nightly aurora and 2 nights of wildnerness tour). I was lucky to catch the lights on 3 of the 4 nights - with an alluring display on the first night! On the first night, Harry's enthusiasm added to the experience of seeing the lights dance in the skies. It was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen!

I had Chris as the photography guide on the 2nd - 4th night. On the 2nd night, it was snowy and thus I did not get to see the lights. But Chris was upbeat and had different activities to help occupy the group while we waited to see if the weather may change. What I appreciated about Chris is his upbeat and positive optimism! He told us about how the weather changes quickly in Abisko and how we may just get a chance still! Even though it was not a good night for lights but I had fun with using the head lights to form words and Chris also took night portraits for us with the bonsai tree. Luck was better on the next two days and we saw the lights! Like what Chris said, the beauty of Abisko is when there seems to be no hope, there can still be the chance of a change! We definitely saw that on the third day when the snowy weather changed to lettting us have glimpses of the northern lights :)

Chris and Harry were both helpful in adjusting our cameras and answering our questions on photography. I also liked what both of them said which is that do not get too caught up with taking pictures that we forget to enjoy the moment. And yes, do put that camera down from time to time and just enjoy the most wonderful thing that is above you! At the wilderness site I was brought to, it was awesome as you have unblocked view of the northern lights from all directions!

The warm lingonberry juice was also much appreciated, especially when you are freezing while waiting for the lights!

I am glad to have joined the tours. It enabled me to not only have a good location to enjoy the sights, but also to have photographs to keep to remind me of the wonderful time! I will definitely be back again to Abisko and to join LOL tour to chase the lights!