“Utopia Hotel in Katelios Kefalonia”

Utopia Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Katelios
Emsworth, United Kingdom
“Utopia Hotel in Katelios Kefalonia”
Reviewed 23 May 2012

On arrival the hotel looked nice the reception staff were very nice and helpful and we booked in with no issues, we opted for half board. Our room was 50M from the reception so not far to go, the room over all was poor. The bed was like sleeping on my dining table just so hard, I ordered a double room with a pool view I got the pool view however twin beds pushed together not the double that I ordered. The shower was to small its tiny and there is nowhere to put shower gel, shampoo or anything else. There were a few other things that let it down like the four pictures the pictures had melted and the display was missing just looked tacky. No tea or coffee making stuff in the room, there was a fridge but no mini bar. Just as well really beer and wine there is expensive, I walked to the local supermarket and got four large cans for the price of a glass of beer in the hotel. We had 2 English speaking channels on the TV (CNN and BBC World News) the satellite was broken and we were told it was going to be fixed each day. Now I don’t go on holiday to watch TV but we had a few days of bad weather and there is very little to do there in the rain so an hour or so in front the TV is not a bad thing.

The first night (Sunday) the evening meal was a buffet and quite frankly it was dire I would not have given my dog the food, but we were so tired after a 6am flight we gave up and went to bed, looking around Monday we found the Spa was not complete or working there was a layer of scum on the spa pool and a huge dead bug/cockroach thing at the bottom. That evening we were again presented with another buffet and this time along with a few others I refused to eat it, I have travelled all over the world on holiday and with work and never have I seen anything so bad. I ended up with lamb chops cooked for me.
The following morning at breakfast which again was not that good we were told that a different menu would be on. That evening we had a five course evening meal 100% improvement but still very little choice there were normally two mains, some of it was very good however some was of a very poor standard and just let it down. We met a couple there and the wife was a vegetarian and she was simply just not catered for, when she asked for something vegetarian the waitress how seemed to be in charge just seem to get angry and intimidating so much so that the poor wife ended up in tears and left the restraint, needless to say her husband let the manageress know, he was offered a few beers to make up for it bit of a joke really.

Just to top the lot we met a young welsh couple who were really nice they had a young boy and because they also complained and told the hotel there was nothing for the children to eat, they were given a letter by the manageress asking them to leave the hotel as they were disruptive and the only people to complain, total rubbish I know at least five others that complained, they were also given €300 to eat in the village rather than the hotel. That was disgusting and not a got start to a two week holiday they were not disruptive and never did they ask me or as far as I know anyone else to complain. Its seemed to me the manageress could not cope.

Well enough is enough I think I have made my point, on the plus side the remaining staff were great they would do anything for you to try and make your stay better very polite always had a smile, the pool area is nice and lots of little restraints in the village with very good sea food. The beach is not good but they were in the process of cleaning it when we were there so may improve later in the season.

Oh a few more things is you go with Thompson, Thomas Cook or another company, DO NOT BOOK any trips walk down to the village half way there near the little supermarket there is a little shop that does trips ran by a guy called Terry, we went with Thompson and was going to book the discover Kefalonia their price €45 each Terry Price €25 for the same trip, when I asked out rep why the vast difference in price she just said the Thompson one was different so again I asked what was different no response she just got a sad on and would not talk to me, later I found out that the reps also use Terry for their trips so they are just ripping us off

All in all would I go back that’s easy NO,

Room Tip: Get a room with a pool view
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SeanPortsmouth

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Polish first
Leicester
Reviewed 2 March 2012

My husband and I stayed here and could not have been happier, we were the last drop off from the airport and gasped when we saw the Hotel Utopia! It is an amazing hotel, for sure the best on the island. Staff were soooo freindly and helpful, took our cases to our rooms straight away, where wine and fruit were waiting, and a jacuzzi bath! The mountain views from the hotel is breathtaking, and you can see the beach, a short 15 min walk at most. The hotel has everything to offer, we only stayed bed and breakfast so that we were able to enjoy the tavernas in the small village, but we ate at the hotel twice in the evening on greek night and bbq night during our week stay which were fabulous. On the last day we discovered the sauna, and steam room on the lower ground floor OMG!! There was no one in there, and it is gorgeous, so you must go - access downstairs before the restaurant. Happy hour is excellent the barman was so lovely - everyone just wants to wait on you! Overall a great hotel - immaculate in every way! The customer service is unbelievable - any thing you need - they provide!

Room Tip: All rooms are fab - I checked them out! The staff let me see other rooms - all have different things...
4 Thank MelvinLeicester
Gloucester
Reviewed 5 February 2012

I stayed here with my partner and family during the summer. We stayed for 2 weeks and enjoyed a lovely quite holiday.

Hotel was clean and staff were friendly. Only negative would be that the drinks are quite pricey, however if you're cleaver there are lots of deals in different bars which make them a lot more reasonable.

Short stroll to the beach which was a little disappointing. Although sandy, it is a little stoney in places and quite small.

Great holiday if you dont want to do a lot!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank Laura S
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2011

Where to start, this place is peaceful, relaxing, a perfect honeymoon destination. Me and my Husband left for Kefalonia the morning after our wedding and all we wanted was somewhere quiet & hot hot hot!! The weather was perfect 10 degrees hotter for this time of year! The hotel was so clean the cleaners are constantly working cleaning clean floors. The beds a little hard - but we didnt care as it is what we are used to! The drinks around the pool were a little expensive but who cares your on holiday and there is a shop not to far away! The staff brilliant and cocktails to die for! We took full advantage of the free spa facilities on offer and really enjoyed using them especially sauna and tropical showers!

7 Thank Kerry109
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Read all the great reviews on here so my partner and I were really looking forward to our stay...however, although clean and in a good location, we were disappointed with the service we received. We found the drinks to be overpriced and one member of the staff was quite rude to us whilst dining there...which, unfortunately, as this was a trip for a special occasion, put a bit of a dampener on things and made us decide not to dine at the hotel again - which actually was fine, as there are lots of nice tavernas to choose from!
Obviously the other reviewers had better stays than we did, hence the assumption that we must have caught them on an off week.

8 Thank Nick R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Katelios
31.2 km away
25.9 km away
Mediterranee Hotel
Mediterranee Hotel
#1 of 19 in Lassi

Been to Utopia Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!