7,325 results
All reviewsriu guanacastecosta ricasports barzip lininghorseback ridingsteakpura vidaitalian restaurantspecialty restaurantshot springsmonkey barhowler monkeysmake reservationsocean viewrainy seasonblack sandsushi
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Fabulous family holiday in this beautiful hotel in gorgeous Costa Rica. What an amazing holiday! Situated right on the beach you will not be disappointed with this hotel. It is amazing. We had the all inclusive holiday option so were able to eat at the buffet or choose to dine at any one of the 5 other restaurants. The food and drink is of a high quality with a lot of variety including a nice mix of Costa Rican flavours. Cocktails beside the pool are a must and a firm favourite became the dirty monkey. Staff were friendly and polite, with the entertainment crew being amazing. Particular favourite activities were aqua aerobics and bingo with coffee beans!
Only criticism of hotel was the beds, oh my goodness they were hard, so had to catch up on sleep beside the pool.
If you want to see Costa Rica you do need to book excursions, and these can be expensive but well worth the money to get a taste of this beautiful country. Overall this hotel is a luxurious base from which to explore the local area.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank MinMinsMum
Reviewed 5 April 2018

Things I liked about this hotel.

The grounds are lovely, very well kept, mature and full of birds.

Plenty of Sunbed’s available on the beach with cushions if required.

Natural beach with amazing wildlife.

Decent range of restaurants and a great buffet selection at breakfast.

Lovely central outside bar.

International spirits available if you ask.

Things I didn’t like about this hotel.

The rooms are tired, especially the bathrooms.

We were given a room overlooking the roof of the bar and nothing else, they were not helpful when I asked to change.

No bathroom products except for one dispenser over the bath.

Wall mounted hairdryer.

The included wine is pretty awful. We took a trip to the local supermarket and supplied our own.

They only have fizz twice a month. (Really?)

The pools were noisy and crowded.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank liber8me
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Lived up to and exceeded all our expectations. The staff are second to none, rooms comfy & clean food and drinks delish and in my opinion everything you could want. Great to walk around the resort and along the beach and the Pacific Ocean did not disappoint.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Karen H
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

March vacation from the 26th till the 2nd of April: VERY HOT , IT IS SUMMERTIME OVER THERE , NO RAIN FROM DECEMBRE UNTIL MAY. So I gave it a 4 point star for several reasons:
The hotel is very nice and big, but most important very clean. The staff is nice, polite and helpful. The food is good , I enjoyed all the a la carte restaurants but In my opinion the Asian is the best and funny fact you partically never wait to have a place, because all the a la carte is first come first served. The buffet: The only negative comment I would make is that every night the food is the same , repetitive and there is not a big difference with the lunch menu but we can’t complain because We still ate well.

The beach was not clear , and I was told it was because of the wind which was making the sand go up and since the sand is black it makes the water look dark. It is also very rocky, you need to wear water shoes.

To have a place at the pool you need to wake early. I mean really early, I woke up around 5:45 every morning and alot of chairs were already taken. The enterainement at the pool was soso! I have to mention that the staff takes pictures of you and it was the most annoying part of my trip. They are atleast 4-5 staff members going around asking people to take pictures. I find that they are very selective on who they chose to take pictures of and also you could be asked 3 times in one day everyday. Also there are alot of kids. They jump every where mostly around the fountain. But, there is a mini bar at the pool and it is 18+ so no kids there...

The drinks were amazing , alot of different kinds of drinks. The place where they tasted the best was at the lobby bar.

Hope this is helpful , I sure recommand this hotel and will certainly visit Riu Guanacaste again!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Jo E
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

These places are the worst possible option when considering staying at a resort. The hotel room is the most dank and dingy sleeping quarter imaginable. Unless you're staying in the palace it's not worth the money in the slightest. They intentionally strip amenities from the lower grade hotel probably in efforts to get you to upgrade, which I did but only to find they had just the bare minimum. The only perks to upgrading is perhaps no blood on your mirror and no bugs in the room (for the most part) as well as not having to deal with the horror movie grade bed sheets. All of that aside the food was still for the most part inedible, their hot dogs looked like shrivelled up soggy sticks of flesh, the meat selection was fairly disgusting. Although you might be admitted into a restaurant if you'd like to wait an insane amount of time and book a reservation you would (unfortunately) still be given the same quality of food as the buffet (save a person waiter who brings you the food). Their form of entertainment is something that looks oddly like an attempt to check a box when saying they have entertainment, it consists mostly of people waving their arms by the pool and singing, that and the pop culture show where they dance to music from America. They have plenty of problems with this resort, one of the largest being the beach, not only is it not maintained it also has people who haggle you to buy cigars, excursions and otherwise multiple times if you decide to venture to the beach. It has branches littered all over it and if you thought you'd find a chair think again, you should have brought one from home. So essentially no beac, swimming there is not advised due to the rocks and people probably trying to call you out of the water so you can ride ATV with them. If you want to do anything off the resort you only have a walk through jungle and any real food will drive you thirty minutes away from the resort. This isn't so much on the resort but when the food quality is something I would touch it becomes an issue. For an all inclusive they give you the cheapest selection of alcohol and if you want more expensive drinks you have to pay, even with the food the quality is mirrored, so it's an all inclusive for things you don't even want but don't say they didn't offer it. On this trip I found myself spending more money than if I went to a resort that actually sold their food, here they have reasons for giving it away free. Everything is cheap and not desirable. If you pay the money to go to Costa Rica I urge you to visit another hotel and do your research, perhaps look into San Jose, while Guanacaste isn't a bad place to visit it is not the luxury getaway most people will be looking for, I found the local area interesting but that hotel was a massive failure.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Josh K
RiuHotelsandResorts, Online Reputation Manager at Hotel Riu Guanacaste, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and for expressing your concerns.

We are committed to provide excellent quality of our products and services to our guests and for this reason we are very sorry to learn that you have left our hotel thinking otherwise.

Since we have no records, we would have liked to have been informed about all your inconveniences during your stay, so we could have helped you to enjoy your time at our hotel.

Please be assured that we will share your impressions with the relevant department in line with the main goal to achieve the highest levels of customer satisfaction.

We sincerely hope that we will one day be able to welcome you back to our hotel and have a chance to demonstrate the high standards of guest service that are typical at our hotels.

With our best wishes we remain,

Hotel Riu Guanacaste